What kind of stuff do y'all listen to?

• Members

Hi, I'm Scott. I usually post in OJ, but I've been reading your posts over here and you all seem like an OK bunch. Even that dolphin guy.

I was just wondering what kind of listening habits you guys had. I'm pretty much a complete metalhead. For instance, I sit here now listening to the new Angra CD.

What say you?

By the way, welcome to HC and all that {censored}.:)

• Moderators

It's a cliche' I know, but I listen to everything that's good.

Bollywood

Bach

Pop

AC/DC

Deep Purple

African Pop

Bob Dylan

Simon and Garfunkel

Beethoven

Jean Luc Ponty

Return To Forever

White Zombie

Rhett Miller

Modest Mouse

NIN

Early ZZ Top

Edgar Winter

Early Johnny too...

Mills Brothers

Rosemary Clooney's Gershwin stuff

Crystal Method

E,W, & F

Humble Pie

Everything that's good.

• Members

Well, I've got over 500 hours of music on my computer (all legally acquired BTW), but in big broad terms, my listening breaks down to:

- 60s, 70s usual suspects from rock, soul, some folk.

- spotty 80s stuff, mostly 70s guys still producing good music

- in the 80s I got more into jazz and classical, being mostly disenchanted with rock/pop.

- the 90s were fascinating and I totally got into electronic stuff: ambient like Robert Rich & Steve Roach & Eno, techno-ish like William Orbit, The Orb, Orbital (all these ORBS), sample wizards like DJ Shadow & Amon Tobin, etc. But not a trance fan.

- the first half of the 2000s still seems pretty unfocused. Some of the alt rock/pop is interesting.

Right now since I was recently given a turntable, I've dug the old vinyl out of the closet and I'm having fun with that stuff - like about 12 James Taylor albums I haven't listened to in years. He's so out of style it's not funny, but what a gifted musician working a very consistent and unique and humane and intelligent vibe. Gee, no wonder he's out of style! ;)

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

Originally posted by nat whilk II

Well, I've got over 500 hours of music on my computer (all legally acquired BTW), but in big broad terms, my listening breaks down to:

- 60s, 70s usual suspects from rock, soul, some folk.

- spotty 80s stuff, mostly 70s guys still producing good music

- in the 80s I got more into jazz and classical, being mostly disenchanted with rock/pop.

- the 90s were fascinating and I totally got into electronic stuff: ambient like Robert Rich & Steve Roach & Eno, techno-ish like William Orbit, The Orb, Orbital (all these ORBS), sample wizards like DJ Shadow & Amon Tobin, etc. But not a trance fan.

- the first half of the 2000s still seems pretty unfocused. Some of the alt rock/pop is interesting.

Right now since I was recently given a turntable, I've dug the old vinyl out of the closet and I'm having fun with that stuff - like about 12 James Taylor albums I haven't listened to in years. He's so out of style it's not funny, but what a gifted musician working a very consistent and unique and humane and intelligent vibe. Gee, no wonder he's out of style!
;)

nat whilk ii

You've got good taste in music. Your descriptions of the decades made a lot of sense. I too, did the William Orbit + other orbs detour. AND... just last week got a James Taylor Best Of at the library and reveled in his musicality.

"Like water dripping from a vine leaf..." WO

• Members

James Taylor, out of style? Never! Guess who quietly sells out every concert he puts up? Yep. JT

Any guesses as to what tops my list of music I listen to most? ;)

Yeah... Everything that's good.

Lately I've been listening to:

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

Kaki King

Red Rock Hot Club - Gyptology (Our very own Funkjazz. :cool: )

Veggie Tales - Silly Songs. (So I have a 6 year old. Many of the songs are pretty funny to adults, too.)

Trout Fishing In America - Family Music Party

John Geib - Right Back

Pat Bergeson - The Tower & The Crane.

James Gang - Funk #49

Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good.

• Members

I mostly listen to jazz, hip hop, folk, blues, country, downtempo and dub, orchestral music (classic/contemporary -- but not, with a few notable exceptions film), musicals.

But every now and then I like to break out of those narrow confines...

• Members

23.2 days of music on my work computer, all from my CD's and iTunes. Sometimes I just hit random and see what pops out of the 7000+ songs. Sometimes I focus on a few groups. Two weeks ago it was old Jurney, Toto, Three Dog Night and Steppinwolf. Last week it was Underworld, System 22, Timo Mass, and Sly and the Family Stone. This week so far it has been early Santana, Ella Fitzgerald, and Chico O'Farrill Orchestra.

I also listen to a lot of the Luna station on XM. Latin Jazz is probably my favorite form of music.

Robert

• Members

I've really been digging XM radio. I just moved and haven't found where it's packed, which is driving me nuts.

Meanwhile, I've ripped about 7,000 tracks from my CD collection to a Creative Labs Zen, which is usually set to "Play Any Track." The juxtapositions are amazing -- I have pretty eclectic tastes.

• Members

A bit of just about everything. A semi-random snapshot:

Beck

Boards of Canada

Diana Krall

Wendy Carlos

Zero 7

NIN

White Stripes

Bill Evans

Ted Nugent

Emmylou Harris

Vladiimr Horowitz

Head East

Led Zeppelin

Stan Getz

Coldplay

Ulrich Schnauss

Genesis

Peter Gabriel

CSN

Kansas

Yes

Muse

The Bravery

Massive Attack

and the list goes on.....

--Mark

• Members

I can't stand:

Pop and all the genres with a "pop" prefix. Celine Dion is the queen.

Pathetic Rock, that currently is made of all those lamentations with some grunge guitars a la Coldplay (that were not bad at the beginning but became a nasty clich

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I've really been digging XM radio. I just moved and haven't found where it's packed, which is driving me nuts.

You can also listen online...it's included with your subscription (I'm listening as I type ;) )

Barry

• Members

anything "roots music" is cool with me, especially blues and early [pre sixties] folk music...

bill monroe and muddy waters were the first to become "well known recording artists" playing "the fame game" but their music still has loads of integrity...

music versus fame, there's a seperate thread...

• Members

A big fan of the music of Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays

Brazilian pop/Bossa Nova/MPB, from Tom Jobim, Ivan Lins, and Elis Regina, to Bebel Gilberto and Suba. Vocals in Portuguese drive my wife nuts.

Jazz of all kinds, but especially from trumpet players (Miles, Dizzy, Clifford, Chet Baker, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Hargrove, Dave Douglas, Terence Blanchard) and pianists (Bill Evans, Monk, Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea).

The Beach Boys + Brian Wilson's solo material. I have the Pet Sounds multi-disc box set and listen to it often. The recent version of "Smile" is just amazing.

In a similar vein, and like Phil O'Keefe, I LOVE a truly well crafted pop song. Todd Rundgren, Squeeze, Nick Lowe, XTC, Fountains of Wayne. A few clever lyrics, a great hook, and if the song has a brilliant bridge, even better.

Randy Newman. Remember that scene in "The Natural" when Redford's homer shatters the floodlights and the sparks fall around him? That scene is nothing without a great score.

I'd pay to hear Al Green sing a phone book.

Steely Dan & Weather Report. I have yet to find someone who likes one but not the other.

I like some electronica. Thievery Corp. is my favorite in the genre.

If Charlie Haden is on bass, I probably like it.

I appreciate Burt Bacharach more know than I did when I heard his hits on AM radio in the early '70s.

k.d. lang. OMG, what a voice.

Stevie Wonder.

Joni Mitchell.

Bob Marley.

Elvis Costello.

My wife, kids, and I all enjoy Barenaked Ladies. Goofy? Sure. A great pop/rock band? Absolutely.

• Members

Ah you youngsters with your geezer ears :-)

Seriously, some good recommendations.

Most recently I've bought:

Against Me

Kaiser Chiefs

and

Vic Chesnutt''s "Silver Lake."

I read some reviews of Silver Lake after I bought it and listened a couple of times and maybe they are right - maybe Vic Chesnutt is now America's best songwriter. Paul Simon hasn't put out anything lately.

Oh, and on vinyl (used), the Grateful Dead's "Europe 72.." Now that "Tennessee Jed" bass riff keeps re-circulating in me brain :-)

best,

John

• Members

I listen to all kinds of stuff. The music that's closest to my heart is all the 60's British Invasion stuff... Beatles, Stones, Who, Yardbirds, Kinks, Small Faces/Faces, etc. And a lot of other more obscure bands of the era. Throw in a lot of 70s/80s power pop and punk - from the Plimsouls and Elvis Costello to X and the Circle Jerks.

I'm also way into roots rock, early blues, classic soul/R&B, pre-1950s jazz, and some folk and country (Richard Thompson, Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, et al).

Am a big reggae and ska fan too and in fact listen to a good bit of music from around the world - African, Middle Eastern, Indian, etc. I'm nuts about the Japanese drumming group KODO. And I like me some classical when I'm in the mood, and some wacked out choir music by 17th century monks, and stuff like that.

I'm sure I've left something out, but that's a good sample of my CD collection. :D

• Members

What don't I listen to?

I enjoy classic rock, a lot of 80's and 90's rock, some new rock, jazz, electric jazz, some country, bluegrass and other "traditional" styles, classical music from about 1800 forward (which is really more romantic period and forward than "classical" per se, but that's why pigeonholes are hard to use), a lot of wthnic and world music, a little old school rap, and of course the blender mix of all that stuff that comes out as my own music. :)

• Members

These are always difficult for me, because I don't base my decision off genre or what I'm in the mood for really. I'm more interested in being schocked, or surprised, generally. I guess my main criteria is originality. That said currently in my 6 disc changer in my car is

Desmond Decker - King of Ska

Bob Marley The complete upsetters - A collection that takes place between the time they met Lee Perry and Catch a fire came out.

Mahivishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame

Beck - Hell Yes (EP)

Miles - In a silent way

Mars Volta - Tremulant

..and My most recent purchases - include filling my Emusic library with all the Zappa and the Mothers records.

Meshell Ngeocentelli - Dance of the Infidel

Otis Redding Live somewhere

!!! - !!!

Lewis Black - End of the Century

Martin Sexton - Black Sheep

• Members

Wow! There's some diversity with you guys. I also like the fact that I did'nt see the word "Radiohead" anywhere. By the way, IMO Radiohead is the single most overrated band EVER.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I'm pretty much a metal head. As I get older (31 now) my tastes get more and more like the were when I was 15.:D For example, lately I've been listening to alot of Dark Tranquility, Kreator, Angra, Evergrey, Blind Guardian, Soilwork, Hollenthon, Destiny's End, etc...

But the stuff I grew up with that got me into music is always there in the CD wallet in my truck. Rush, KISS, ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Tull, etc... I'm a bass player by the way;)

On another note, you guys are the most polite people that I've seen on HC in awhile. Most other forums this thread would've already turned into a "THAT BAND SUCKS!!!!" type thing by now. Then again if someone mentions Radiohead or the Flaming Lips....I'm usually the one doing the flaming!:p

Archived