30 gigs for a buck by 2006!!

Sylver

• Members

Good news for music production!!

Story here: http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20050608/105586/

Optware Corp., a developer of holographic data storage systems, is planning to release a Holographic Versatile Card (HVC) media product around the end of 2006. The card capacity is expected to be 30 GB. The company aims to price the product around

Uh, I think I'll wait a bit for the reader / writer systems to drop a bit in price. ;) But while I was initially hoping for cheap storage / backup by next year, I think I can see some other commercial applications for this technology... but the prices on the readers and read / write systems is going to have to drop first... and if past hisory is any indication, chances are they will. :)

Cool info - thanks Sylver! :cool: And thanks for the monetary conversions Geoff. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Thanks for the info,
Sylver
. I've inserted US dollar values below:

(US dollar figures courtesy of
.)

Best,

Geoff

Thanks for the conversions Geoff! Wow, those readers and writers will be a chink of change at first, huh?

Then again, VCRs, DVD players and CD writers were all WAY expensive when the first hit the market, then dropped to consumer levels within a few years.

Also, let's not forget, new technologies drive the prices of old technologies down too.

• Members

Originally posted by Sylver:

Thanks for the conversions Geoff! Wow, those readers and writers will be a chink of change at first, huh?

Then again, VCRs, DVD players and CD writers were all WAY expensive when the first hit the market, then dropped to consumer levels within a few years.

Also, let's not forget, new technologies drive the prices of old technologies down too.

Those are all good points, Sylver.

There are a lot of variables, even regarding what I posted. For example, we know what the Yen/Dollar exchange rate is now; but what will it be at the time the product is released and how much will the US price actually adhere to the Yen/Dollar exchange rate?

Even so, I think that it's reasonable to expect the drives to be affordable a few years down the road. (And, of course, it's reasonable to expect that current technology will be cheaper then too. :) )

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

And here i thought that you contracted some starving offshore children to play all your shows for you for $0.03333333333/show.

I was going to say "YOU BASTARD!!" but now i don't get to
:(

Yeah... I thought this would turn out to be a thread about how little club owners are willing to pay local acts to play.. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by fantasticsound

Yeah... I thought this would turn out to be a thread about how little club owners are willing to pay local acts to play..
;)

I thought this guy was on the road doing a whirlwind tour of america and would play each gig for only a buck and was going to book 30 of them for the last few months of the year:eek:

Boy, was I wrong!:D

But that is so cool. In a few years, when prices drop, that will be a really amazing stuff.

• Members

Yeah, I wasn't sure which gig meaning Sylver had in mind either until I opened the thread.

On the other hand, when I see the "GB" abbreviation, I often don't know at first whether it stands for gigabyte, Garage Band, or even Green Bay. :freak:

Communication is for the brave at heart! :D

Best,

Geoff

Archived