Anyone fly with a guitar on Delta recently?

• Members

Yeah, I've flown Delta with a guitar quite a number of times and have not had a problem. The trick is to board right after first class, when they call for the group that "needs special assistance." Then it will be the least likely that the overhead bins and the front closets will be full.

• Members

Boy, I hate to burst your bubble and Lee's.

Did a huge show in Portland Oregon last weekend with Steve Holy. (we opened up for Wynonna Judd)

Flying out we took SouthWest. No problem with guitars in the overheads.

On the trip back, we were flying Delta (redeye). We were stopped dead in out tracks regarding guitars in the overheads ... or on the main area of the plane at all. We argued for an hour with the head of Delta at the airport there. We also even had the head of TSA come over and give his OK for us to take them on, but Delta would NOT budge. We tried to call Delta's office in Atlanta to get a waiver faxed over ... and no go there either. We were all prepared NOT to fly home on Delta. Turns out the label (Curb Records) decide that those of us without guitars (I am the drummer) should go ahead and board the plane (which I was not happy about - leaving my bandmates behind). Turns out that the artist (steve holy and his manager) came back to the airport as they were flying out the next day on Southwest. They took the guitars back with them (to Texas ... as the rest of us flew to Nashville), and they loaded the guitars on a tour bus that was headed for Nashville, and brought them back here.

My suggestion (to avoid this most frustrating situation), ... get a road case and check the guitar. Detune all the strings before to avoid neck snap caused by the extreme pressure underneith the plane.

Hope this helps!

DJ

• Members

Another tip - if you're going overseas -

Get a maple leaf sticker and put it on your luggage. Like the Canadian flag.

Since the USA is immensely unpopular overseas, this will save your guitar and other luggage an incredible amount of abuse and damage.

• Members

Wow that's a major bummer Dendy. :( I wonder if it was due to the fact that there were several people together with guitars and not just one. They will only allow so many from what I understand.

But in any case... I will NEVER check my Les Paul so I'll definitely call ahead beforehand and make sure it won't be an issue. Like I said I've flown Delta quite a bit with the guitar, and a friend of mine just flew here from L.A. on Delta and carried his guitar onboard no problem. That sucks that you guys had so much trouble. :(

• Members

It probably depends on who you get...luck of the draw. I've taken my guitar on board Delta many times while going to Europe, and put it in the overhead. BUT I'm also a Skymiles member who's logged a zillion miles on Delta, so I get to board with other Skymiles members. I just act like I'm important :D and I manage to get away with it...

• Members

But one other thing...I don't have a gig bag but a hard shell case. I would NOT recommend a gig bag!

Sometimes if the flight attendant is sweet on you, your guitar can go into the first class cabin coat closet, behind the coats.

Next project: Finding planes with power ports for laptops!!

• Members

I called American before leaving Cincinnati, asked for assurance that I could in cabin my L. Benito..I won in a drawing at NAMM.

They could not guarantee that so I asked Davitt and Hanser, our last sales call, to please box and ship back to my office. They ship B. C. Rich's and Aria's all day every day.

Turns out, the Cinci to O Hare leag, a semi puddle jumper would have had a closet or nothing, the O hare to L. A. leg, they had retrofitted the overheads with entended doors (3' or so) which would have worked for the HSC.

Doyle Dykes loads his Taylors in baggage but I believe his cases are HSC with ballistic covers.

I'll ask him.

R

• Members

Sorta OT, but I just got an email from Delta bragging about their new website. It includes the new cancellation policy:

Just cancel by the following midnight after purchase (or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first).

If I'm reading that right, this means I can cancel by midnight of the day I bought the ticket (since it comes first) with no penalty. Wow, that's sure generous! :rolleyes:

• Members

Here's the deal w/ flying w/ guitars...

the TSA is required, by agreement with the music unions, etc to allow instruments through security... however, no airline is *required* to let you carry the guitar onboard. Most guitars, even in a gigbag, exceed the carry-on size requirements. If you call the airline and ask, the answer will always be 'we cannot guarantee', and really should be - 'it should be checked'...

That being said, I've carried my guitar on recently and not had any problems - on one short leg, I was asked to gate-check the guitar, and did with no problems. However, if you want to guarantee that your guitar will always be safe, buy a flightcase. If the flight is full, 'large' carry-ons will always be a target.

• Members

I've flown with guitars as carry-on before and never had an issue, but I know it really depends on the flight crew.

I've decided to take a different approach. Rather than risk one of my good guitars, I'm putting threaded inserts into the neck of an old Ibanez strat copy I have. Then I will be able to use machine screws to repeatedly take the neck off and pack it in my suitcase. I'm really only bringing it to work on some writing and to practice, so this guitar will be good enough to get me by...

• Members

I flew once with my '61 LP/SG I bought in Nashville; no problems in the overheads (it was a DC-10).

I know a young guy who CHECKED his new SG with his luggage - in one of those plastic Gibson cases with no latches but no locks - and it arrived intact, guitar in case - no damage. Lucky man.

I asked first when I brought mine home, and they told me no problem. So I asked again at the gate, and they said okay.

I've seen people bring acoustics on board, in cases, which of course take up even more space. But I feel no guilt when I see the mountains of oversize crap people bring on board. Not to mention the screaming, sick kids...........

• Members

BTW - Traveling with a guitar on a 777 will be even more difficult than most airplanes. The overhead bins are designed narrower, but deeper than on other jumbo jets. Your guitar would have to be the length of a violin to even come close to fitting in a 777's overhead bins.

I haven't flown with a guitar since 6 months after 9/11, so my experience is a bit out of date. At that time, we had little difficulty carrying on a Fender Jazz bass, Gibson Explorer, Hamer LP DC clone, and a strap on keyboard, all in individual gig bags. (Hard cases would not have fit in overhead bins and we doubted they'd allow us to use that much of the hanging bag storage.)

On one 777 we were fortunate to be seated in the last row. There was just enough room to slide the gig bags behind our seats. Safe and secure, but I'm quite sure in violation of most airline policies. ;)

We flew half way around the world, with several connections in the U.S., Heathrow in England, 4 countries on the Saudi peninsula and Frankfurt, Germany. The only issue we experienced was a single flight attendant who could've snapped a broomstick with her butt. Other flight attendants assisted the boys with their instruments and we didn't hear another word about it.

Like I said, my experience is dated. Much has changed the past few years, despite the fact we flew 6 months after the attacks.

Archived