The most verbally obscene movie ever

zeronyne

• Members

I cannot wait to see this.

NEW YORK (AP) -- This ain't no Walt Disney production -- not with the language. Or the imagery. Or the bestiality.

Particularly the bestiality.

Yet Penn Jillette, executive producer of "The Aristocrats," believes his acclaimed documentary about the filthiest joke known to mankind is an achievement far beyond cartoon classics like "Bambi."

"This film has more affection and love and world peace in it than any Disney film ever made," said Jillette, best known as half of the magic act Penn & Teller. "This is a truly feel-good movie about (an unprintable family activity)."

More accurately, this movie is about a variety of unprintable family activities, some involving pets, limited only by the imagination of the person telling the joke. The bit is vile, vulgar, obscene and offensive; it's a gag that could make you gag.

But as related by Robin Williams, Chris Rock, Martin Mull, Whoopi Goldberg and dozens of other brilliant comedians, this low-rent humor helps "The Aristocrats" hit rarely reached comedic heights. It delivers on the promise of its promo:

"No nudity. No violence. Unspeakable obscenity."

The joke, which dates back to vaudeville, consists of a raunchy setup followed by the simple punchline "the aristocrats." It was passed down through the years, with each comic adapting the joke to reflect their own personality.

Or psychosis.

Jillette, who developed the documentary's concept four years ago over coffee with comedian (and "Aristocrats" director) Paul Provenza, envisioned comedians riffing on the joke like jazz musicians taking solos in a smoky nightclub.

Picture Miles Davis, after trading his trumpet for Tourette's syndrome.

"It's be-bop, improvisation," Jillette explained. "You get to see different actors do Shakespeare, or jazz musicians do versions of the same song. Why not comedians?"

Provenza concurred.

The pair bought two video cameras and a pile of blank 60-minute tapes, then began calling their friends.

LINK TO CNN STORY

• Members

I've known about this being in the works for a couple of years. I saw Penn live a couple years back @ Vegas and he expalined it to those in the audience at the time.

On a sociological note, it would be fun to compare each decade's crop on this one. I've often said that modern comedy has dumbed down quite a bit from the 60's and 70's and reverted to lockerroom humor to sell. "Smart" humor is a product of a different generation.

This may well be the Litmus Test of current comedy.

• Members

On a sociological note, it would be fun to compare each decade's crop on this one. I've often said that modern comedy has dumbed down quite a bit from the 60's and 70's and reverted to lockerroom humor to sell. "Smart" humor is a product of a different generation.

True that. Just watch some National Lampoon flicks (or the like) from the 80s, or some Monty Python or Black Adder from the 70s, then go watch some Dude Where's My American Pie? from the last few years and compare notes.

It's sad...

Not sure i understand the concept of this "aristocrats", tho :confused:

• Members

They highlighted Penn and the movie night on NPR and just hearing him explain it was funny as hell. He and a partner did it on their own with high end consumer video and he says that Bob Sagat's version of "the aristorat's is just hillarious.

Looking forward to seeing it, but it won't be in a theater as most commercial chains are refusing to carry it. I bet it makes a ton on DVD though.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

True that. Just watch some National Lampoon flicks (or the like) from the 80s, or some Monty Python or Black Adder from the 70s, then go watch some Dude Where's My American Pie? from the last few years and compare notes.

It's sad...

Not sure i understand the concept of this "aristocrats", tho
:confused:

Geez... I thought it, if not started, certainly accelerated with the Nat. Lamp. movies... I was a big fan of the Harvard Lampoon and then the National Lampoon mag when it first appeared (of course, I was younger, then) but I was always way underwhelmed by the NL movies... when I wasn't repulsed. Guess I'm not a toga/blues brothers/etc kinda guy.

I did love the Python movies, though. A whole different level -- or set of levels -- seems to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Jon Doe

I think the joke itself pretty much shows that the "locker room" mentality really goes back to vaudeville.

Here's a little historical information...

• Members

Interesting "conspiracy theory" in the wikpedia link. A long time ago I heard Penn explain a custom that he and group of NYC hipsters (yes, including Lou Reed) had when they attended movies. Whenever the title of the movie appeared in dialog, they would politely applaud. Imagine a sort of "golf clap". This movie would be punctuated everytime they got to the punchline.

• Members

Im not making any moral judegements here, but can someone explain the humor to me? I dont get it. Seriously..

I've watched the roasts, read the jokes on this subject here, and I dont get it. Other than to gross out, out shock someone, I have no clue as to the intrinsic value here. I just dont get why people at a roast think a joke like "His wife is pissed off that he'll never take out the garabage because he's too busy screwing the dog in the A**" is funny. It's not true, lacks any sort of illeteration or irony.. I mean, I can look past crudeness and see the humor in most things, but :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Members

Im not making any moral judegements here, but can someone explain the humor to me? I dont get it. Seriously..

I've watched the roasts, read the jokes on this subject here, and I dont get it. Other than to gross out, out shock someone, I have no clue as to the intrinsic value here. I just dont get why people at a roast think a joke like "His wife is pissed off that he'll never take out the garabage because he's too busy screwing the dog in the A**" is funny. It's not true, lacks any sort of illeteration or irony.. I mean, I can look past crudeness and see the humor in most things, but :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by protues9

I've watched the roasts, read the jokes on this subject here, and I dont get it. Other than to gross out, out shock someone, I have no clue as to the intrinsic value here. I just dont get why people at a roast think a joke like "His wife is pissed off that he'll never take out the garabage because he's too busy screwing the dog in the A**" is funny. It's not true, lacks any sort of illeteration or irony.. I mean, I can look past crudeness and see the humor in most things, but

That's not really it. You can't figure out what the movie is without seeing it. It's not a "roast" movie.

It is extremely crude, but in a nice way.

• Members

As somebody says early in the film, when Coltrane played, you could tell it was him within a couple of notes.

The movie is, in many ways, a meditation on creativity and improvisation (okay, an admittedly grotesque and vulgar meditation, but...). It's interesting seeing how different comedians approach the joke, whether they go for the grossout factor (Bob Saget) or deconstruct it and turn it into something else (Sarah Silverman). It's an interesting look into how the creative process works for comedians. It's also screamingly funny in places. My wife was in tears 10 minutes in when George Carlin was telling his version.

Much of the appeal of the joke is how far you can take it. It's spontaneous composition that was used as a 'head-cutting' contest between comedians for years. Who can tell the version that nobody else present can top?

BTW, the mime version of the joke is worth the price of admission alone.

Archived