Computer related - finding brand of RAM installed on PC.

• Members

My motherboard doesn't like the new 512MB of SDRAM (133MHZ DIMM) I installed. Manufacturer support advises that I need the same brand, size, etc. of the 512MB SDRAM that I already have installed for it to work properly. (Trying to get a GB of RAM).

How do I determine what brand of SDRAM I already have installed? I checked the card itself, but it doesn't have it printed anywhere.

:)

• Members

These guys knew exactly what I needed:

http://memorysuppliers.cnetchannel.com/

When I upgraded RAM, I went to Dell to get the instructions for properly adding the memory, and memorysuppliers.com told me exactly what I needed for my computer. What was really interesting is that Dell kept touting that only THEIR RAM would work. I bought (I think it was...) Samsung RAM for about half of what Dell was asking, and sure enough, when I opened the computer case, what was already in there was, in fact, Samsung!!!

• Members

Have you tried removing the factory RAM & installing your new chip alone, to see if it works?

I call bull{censored} on what they're telling you. I've mixed various RAM chips before, and the only huge problem I've run across is with eMachines - for some reason, their (cheap-ass) motherboards will not work with most major brands of RAM.

However, I've had no problems with major manufacturers' boards, mixing 128, 256, and 512 MB chips from different manufacturers. I'm not saying every combination will work, but as long as the parts are mainstream you should not have major issues.

• Members

I've had problems mixing and matching RAM on all kinds of systems, but mostly newer boards that use dual channel memory. My Asus Socket A board couldn't mix and match two 512 sticks of DDR 333 even when dual channel support was disabled. If your only running 128 now, then you might consider biting the bullet and just ordering 1GB (2X512) and be done with it. It's less than $100 now, and you could sell the old stick on e-bay for some beer money or give it to a friend that could use it.

• Members

Well, I'll give ya that. I've done it on a lot of older boards, but not with the newer ones. Although, we did have some here that had Crucial & Kingston in them, and they ran OK. For the most part, though, we don't mix them here. We just use Crucial.

Archived