OT-Ernest Hemingway is one of my favorite writers

TheWewus

• Members

There's a thing playing on The Food Network called Hemingway's Cuba, hosted by his grand daughter Mariel, which is what made me think about him. Check that out if you get a chance, it's really good and Mariel does a great job hosting it. She looks so good. I'm not sure what she's up to these days but that woman has got it going on, er something.

Ernest Hemingway had such a DIRECT, and SIMPLE way of writing but it still somehow evoked great passion, and imagery. The guy was a genius. The first book I read of his was of course The Old Man And The Sea. I was eleven years old and I checked it out from the school library, took it home, started reading it, and finished it about two or three hours later.... and then I just had to sit there in kind of a daze for 15 minutes, trying to digest what I'd just read.

I'd like to go back and reread everything he wrote because I think he was one the best writers that ever lived.

• Members

Back in my old college days majoring in English (I was gonna be a teacher) I liked Hemingway also. I've since strayed away from reading a lot of novels.

Islands in the Stream

The Sun also Rises

The old man and the Sea

Good stuff. I wonder if I still have my copies up in the attic?

• Members

Cool, Wewus!

We don't have cable, so this was a special treat for me.

I was just waking up, late Saturday morning (we drove almost 9 hours to Chicago and arrived at 5:30am) and caught, "The Secret Life of.." while shooting the breeze with my mother-inlaw.

First was brownies (Yum! Thank goodness mom had one, with ice cream for me!), then French Fries (Pommes Frites, though I was a bit miffed they didn't mention they're often served with regualr mayo in Germany. That's where I picked it up).

Then came Hemingway's Cuba.

In addition to fascinating subject matter, don't you think that's one of the most beautifully shot documentaries? It was gorgeous. And as a car enthusiast, the gratuitous shots of 1950's and older American cars that have been kept in running order for over 50 years as daily drivers were amazing! The depth with which they delved into modern life in Cuba, in addition to the relationship to Hemingway was wonderful.

And as a child of the '70's and '80's who had a huge crush on Mariel Hemingway, I must say she's aged very well. ;)

It's sad her "homecoming" was marred by the realization that the bay her father and mother named her for has become the barren site of industrial waste in Cuba. Mariel Bay is lined with cracked concrete, a power plant and other industrial sites. She claimed the air itself seems thick and oily to breathe, despite the sun. Her father and grandfather used to fish there, hence the connection that led to her name.

It's been a while since I've read any Hemingway. I think you're right, Wewus. Time to pull out those books again and envelope myself in the rich imagery he created on the printed page.

• Moderators

When I was 21 or so... (a lonnnng time ago) I started playing clubs as my job. The nightlife. Instead of attending college like I should have at the time, I dove into reading.

After "getting my chops up" with some summer reading fare, I moved on to the good stuff. Things were never the same for me after that.

Authors I love from that initiation...

Hemmingway

Steinbeck

Jules Verne

HG Wells

Mary Shelley

Bram Stoker

JD Sallinger

and Hemmingway!

• Members

Compare Hemingway's writing to the writing of someone like Nathaneil Hawthorne, which I know they are from different times, but... I started reading a biographical sketch by Hawthorne last month, and I just had to keep re-reading things, and thinking WTF did you just say? The Scarlet Letter is a great story, but damn, Hawthorne is hard to read. That's not even English, that's some variant of English.

Archived