Listening stations in record stores.

Kendrix

• Members

The past year or so the major record retailers in my area have installed listening stations. The bar code from almost any title in the racks can be scanned by the station and you can thenscroll through 30-40 second bites of the first 6-8 tunes on the disc.

As a result of this I have:

Bought music from artists i never heard of before- almost every time Im in thy shop. For instance, last week i picked up a 1998 disc from "Fun Loving Criminals" that's really interesting (a little rap a little R&B a little rock a little country...). I had never heard of them.

Not bought any worthless discs.

Enjoyed my time browsing and listening.

Started shopping/browsing more often an buying more music.

My record-store browsing days are back. I actually find this a pleasant experience that leads me to discover music I'd be blind to otherwise.

I do wish they would stop putting labels on the discs that obscure the track titles or related info. Typically i cant find what year the disc was released on the outside pack.

How are youz guyz finding this?

• Moderators

I LOVE it! I can take a lunch break from work, go into the Barnes and Noble, listen to anything. "It's been a while since I've heard Randy Newman, where's that disc I used to have". Or David Lindley's El Rayo X. I'm re-discovering some of my old faves, as well as finding new fodder.

• Members

This has been the norm in Europe for years, they couldn't believe people bought CDs without listening to them. I love the bar code/scan thing, like you I've bought stuff I hadn't planned on buying and NOT bought stuff I'd planned on buying because of it!

Some stores do the same thing with videos, where you'll see the trailer.

• Members

I like em too.

Years ago my house was robbed and I lost 500 CDs .. way to many to ever replace. It's great to hear some of those and keep up with new tracks coming out.

My favorite way to listen is to 1st go to the David Allen Coe catalog and remove all of them. While I'm listening to great tracks from other Artists, I drop all his CDs behind the bin where nobody can find them. Try it sometime .. it'll make you feel good.

Russ

Archived