Ok. This is too much. (Microsoft)

Rabid

• Members

I just received a package, an order I placed to PCMall Monday. The first box had a red label affixed over the seam where you would normally cut it open. The label says

WARNING: By opening this package you agree that you have read and understood the Microsoft Distribution and Presentation Agreement affixed to the package and agree to it terms and conditions.

My first thought is that they got the order wrong. There is a license agreement affixed to the side of the box though half of it was torn off during packaging or shipping. There is another label on the bottom, just in case the customer opens that end of the package. I did manage to read enough to realize that it is a Microsoft OEM System builder license. And the order turns out to be correct. So what are they so protective about? A 3-pack of Microsoft keyboards! :mad:

Robert

• Members

This is the running joke of the decade, yaknow...

Most MS software has a sticker on the shrinkwrap that says something to the effect of:

"By breaking this seal you agree to the licensing terms and conditions included in this package"

Think about that one for a sec.

I think the best though, was the big red sticker on Windows NT 4.0 that read something like:

"Warning! By installing this software you may expose your system to serious security risks"

or somesuch...

But back to your situation, it's probably just a stock sticker that they put on everything. Microsoft is almost as paranoid about theft as Wal-Mart is.

• Members
Originally posted by Rabid

I did manage to read enough to realize that it is a Microsoft OEM System builder license. And the order turns out to be correct.

There may be a silent install option (esp being OEM build) so that it's more streamlined to accept any EULA or other distibution agrrements there than have it in an installer

So what are they so protective about? A 3-pack of Microsoft keyboards!

unforseen liabilities most probably

• Members

Actually, keyboards (and mice) could arguably be blamed for a lot of OUS (Occupational Overuse Syndrome) or RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) or what the lawyers call it right now. I'm sure the MS lawyers are seriously covering their butts on this one.

Archived