Studio Rack: Where, who and $$??

the otter

• Members

I'm thinking about getting a larger rack for my room... um... studio and most of the online catalog type places have failed me. The biggest one they offer is the one I have:

12 spaces on top (slanted) and 16 on bottom. (28 total spaces)

I ran out of space a while ago.

I'm thinking 36 spaces? 40? 32? I dunno... but I need a bigger rack.

I don't plan on moving it around and I would rather not spend a ton of money on it (I'm asking for the world again, know).

Love,

Warped

• Members

Build one. It's easy enough to do, get some 3/4" MDF cut to size at the local Large Hardware Store and screw it together with some angle brackets. Rack rails from one of the mail order places. Way, way cheaper than ordering from somewhere, and you can paint it whatever color you want :p

drfuzz

• Members

Originally posted by drfuzz

Build one. It's easy enough to do, get some 3/4" MDF cut to size at the local Large Hardware Store and screw it together with some angle brackets. Rack rails from one of the mail order places. Way, way cheaper than ordering from somewhere, and you can paint it whatever color you want
:p

drfuzz

I'm beginning to think that's going to be my best option. I'll probably end up asking a friend of mine to do it. He has the tools, enjoys doing stuff like that and I'm just not in to building it.

• Members

Cosider a double wide rack instead of one tall rack, better visually. You can get rack rail from middle Atlantic products. 5/8 ply, covered with industrial black carpet looks sweet, and is inexpensive. It also deadens any rack resonance, and leaves no reflective surface.

• Members

Home depot sells this angle iron with holes in it for hanging garage door openers that works great for racks. It's usually near the screws and comes in a display called "metal shop". That way you can buy it all at one place..:)

building it yourself is alot more satisfying too. You can just tell people you made it yourself and for a 1/4 of the cost. When you buy that stuff, you end up paying 1-300$ for a sheet of MDF cut by machine and stuffed into a box that you end up having to assemble anyway, and besides, who doesn't like power tools?

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

www.nice-racks.com

Terry D.

Nice-Racks is currently in the midst of a temporary (but necessary) "cease fire" on all new orders. We expect this to last for about 4-6 weeks while we catch up on the overwhelming number of rack orders placed in just the last few weeks.

But I'm glad you took a moment to mock my needs

:(

I'll checlk out the home depot site in a bit. I would rather people weren't able to tell the rack was home made, I certainly hope it won't look like a 10 year boy did it... that's one of the reasons I'll ask someone else to do it :(

• Members

Well, what I would do, if the guy you are having do it, has a table saw, is on the large side pieces, is to cut a half lap joint the thickness of the MDF (3/4th) 1/4 inch deep.

| |

| |

|---------

|______

something like that ^ and then you join your top and bottom into those. You can also do that with a router. Assemble everything, drilling pilot holes and counter sinking your screws, then take it all apart. Tape off the half lap joints on on your sides, and the 1/4 in portion on the top and bottom, and then with a brush, get yourself a good black paint or your choice of color and paint it. Reassmble and enjoy. or you can put it together and carpet the outside withoug painting as well.

Adding angle iron from home depot on the inside corners will also keep it from tilting, but once you get a module or effect in there and get it tightend up you shoul dbe ok.

• Members

www.nice-racks.com

Terry D.

Dammit, Terry! Don't tease us like that :D

Seriously: my vote is for the "Build Your Own" option. Custom fit it to the specs of your room. If I ever get a permanent space for the Great Big Sea Studio (we're in a temp location at the moment), I'm building my own racks AND desk for the D8B. It'll be wonderful.

Cheers!

Spencer

• Moderators

Originally posted by warped666

But I'm glad you took a moment to mock my needs

Nice Racks always gets jammed up for a week or two this time of year. Any moment they'll resume taking new orders.

I hope you checked out their stuff:

http://www.nice-racks.com/index2.shtml

It comes fully assembled, and you can't touch the quality at anywhere near their price.

Terry D.

• Members

Nice Racks always gets jammed up for a week or two this time of year. Any moment they'll resume taking new orders.

I hope you checked out their stuff:

http://www.nice-racks.com/index2.shtml

It comes fully assembled, and you can't touch the quality at anywhere near their price.

Terry D.

I didn't see anything that ws even close to what I needed... 32+ spaces.

I think this will have to become a project.

protues9 - Thanks for the tip.... even though I'm not totally sure what you're talking about :)

I just re-read it, and I "get it"

One thing I've thought of is putting something in the middle of the rack to stablize it.

Here is my rack now.

• Moderators

Originally posted by warped666

I didn't see anything that ws even close to what I needed... 32+ spaces.

They'll build just about anything you can imagine. Drop them an email under the "contact" link.

Terry D.

Archived