Music Careers

• Members

I'm 19 and finally have to decide what I'm gonna major in and stuff, so I'm wondering,

What are some interesting music careers that you'd recommend I look into?

Are any of you currently making a living with music, what would you say are the benefits or bad parts of your job, etc.

This is an opportunity to change my LIFE!! :eek:

All I have in mind right now is an audio engineer... but I dunno.

I play guitar well and stuff, but I think its pretty far off that Im gonna make money with my guitar playing. Plus I just play what sounds good to me... I dont know theory or how to read music. So I'm not considering this as my living, unless somehow I fall into the perfect band and somehow get popular. But I love music and want to make it my living, so... any ideas??

Thanks!

• Members

As the late great Joseph Campbell used to say: "find a path with heart and follow your bliss". I have made my living in the music business for over 25 years. Everyone I know who has a successful career in the music biz (from audio engineers to rock stars) went into music because there was no other option; They had to be in the music biz.

You will find that in any business having a passion for your work and a love for your craft will eventually put you above the pack. I am not saying it's easy; but ask Bruce, or any of the other pro's here and they will tell you that they had to be in this business; hence they are.

• Members

Sometimes you love something so much you're blinded to the fact that after awhile...it becomes a JOB. Granted, there ARE a few, a select few, who love what they do so much the covers can't hold 'em in bed in the morning.

A career in music could mean anything from driving a truck supplying juke boxes, to playing in a symphony, to teaching high school, to designing audio gear, to being a program director at a radio station (ugh), to delivering pizza so you can play in a band on weekends...well, you get the idea.

You've got to weigh some factors.

Money? You're 19? 15 bucks an hour probably sounds like a LOT of money right now. Trust me, it won't when you're 30. What you can get by on now will change when you've got a wife and kids.

Retirement? This is so far off right now you don't need to worry about it. NOT. You'll be surprised how quickly this comes zipping at your ass after you turn 30.

Health insurance? I went to the ER for a possible kidney stone a couple of months back...the HOSPITAL bill alone (not counting the doc, radiology, lab, etc.) was over $4000!!!! This could ruin you if you don't have it.

So, whatever you do...it's nice to be true to your vision...but choose wisely.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

You've got to weigh some factors. .........

So, whatever you do...it's nice to be true to your vision...but choose wisely.

Good advice. But don't be afraid to dream; or to do for that matter. Life is short; find your passion and follow your heart.

And don't put too much stock in the words of old farts like Ted and me.:cool:

Archived