Help: Recording Directly into Computer

• Members

I tried recording my guitar on my PC.

I pluged the headphone out of my amp into the microphone input of my computer but the sound is really distorted.

I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't find any answers to my specific problem.

Is it possible to get a decent sound (just good enough so that I can listen to myself play) without spending a lot of money?

• Members

The guitar headphone output is wa-a-a-a-y too loud for the Microphone input! You need to go into the LINE input. Since you have speakers plugged in, and there are usually only 3 plugs to try, the other one should be the correct one.

Now... If you use a mono plug, you will ground out the left channel. It should not affect your ability to record the amp. In the future, you should consider getting a small 2-channel mixer to help with the drive levels. There are a number of ways to go. When you are ready, that will make a good thread.

• Members

A cheap Y-connecter might be a quick-fix. Guitar jack > Y-plug

To: > standard 1/4" plugs wire > to amp

> standard 1/4" plugs wire > to computer.

If the guitars output is high enough to record, great. You can also monitor in real time from your amp.

The Y-connector would be Male 'in' to (2) Female 'outs'; available most anywhere(EX: Radio Shack). Paul

• Members

I don't think you are ready for the Y cord yet - you need some sort of Direct Box to split the signal, sending one to the amp and another to the mic input of your soundcard.

Do you have a microphone? Any kind, even a cheap one that came with your soundcard? If so, plug that into the mic input on the soundcard, point the mic toward the speaker in your guitar amp, and hit Record.

• Members

I don't normally use the word Behringer in polite company, but for under $100 solutions, they can't be beat, evil incarnate though they may be. And charity begins at home, when you're on a subsistence budget. Leave worry about the global consequences of Behringer to folks with a few more economic options.

Anyhow, they have a couple tiny mixers with line and mic inputs. And they also have some cheap direct boxes, as I recall.

Just this once.

• Members

Originally posted by AudioMaverick

The guitar headphone output is wa-a-a-a-y too loud for the Microphone input! You need to go into the LINE input. Since you have speakers plugged in, and there are usually only 3 plugs to try, the other one should be the correct one.

Now... If you use a mono plug, you will ground out the left channel. It should not affect your ability to record the amp. In the future, you should consider getting a small 2-channel mixer to help with the drive levels. There are a number of ways to go. When you are ready, that will make a good thread.

Yeah don't plug anything into the mic input on the PC if you have any alternative.

Do you have line out on your amp?Plug that into line in on the PC.You can use headphone out(amp) to line in(PC) just be careful to watch your levels.

Don't know what you're recording with but Audacity,

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

is a good free multitrack that might make it easier for you after you get used to it.

Search for "home audio recording"or something like that,a couple hours reading should give you the basic idea.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

I don't normally use the word Behringer in polite company, but for under $100 solutions, they can't be beat...

Blue,

I agree with you completely. They sell very affordable stuff for non-critical situations. However, Berringer is actually more than just a word. It's a proper(?) noun, but could become a common verb if:

1) You've ever tried to resell on eBay and found $o resale value..

you've been "Behringered"

2) People look at you funny when viewing your bran' new piece of gear.. you've been "Behringered"

3) You think you've seen the identical product, but made by a different major manufacturer.. you've been "Behringered"

4) You request product/tech support and are basically told to 'shove it'.. you've been "Behringered"

5) Space empty.. supply your own!

------------------------------------------------------

In all fairness, cheap isn't always bad, and I also own some of their stuff. I just keep it covered! :D :D Paul

• Members

Originally posted by Paully

Blue,

I agree with you completely. They sell very affordable stuff for non-critical situations. However, Berringer is actually more than just a word. It's a proper(?) noun, but could become a common verb if:

1) You've ever tried to resell on eBay and found $o resale value..

you've been "Behringered"

2) People look at you funny when viewing your bran' new piece of gear.. you've been "Behringered"

3) You think you've seen the identical product, but made by a different major manufacturer.. you've been "Behringered"

4) You request product/tech support and are basically told to 'shove it'.. you've been "Behringered"

5) Space empty.. supply your own!

------------------------------------------------------

In all fairness, cheap isn't always bad, and I also own some of their stuff. I just keep it covered!
:D
:D Paul

Paul, your comments about Behringer are more fair and educated (and funny) than most I have seen. For those whoose knee-jerk reaction is always negative to this company,

try using a Behringer ADA8000 or a DEQ2496 some day. It's not Great River or Pultec, but you won't be so quick to insult Behringer again. I often wonder if the many people that love to trash this company have actually used any of the gear. Both support and derision can be bandwagon mentalities.

Archived