Michael Penn

Deef

• Members

I sort of lost track of him, but he has a new album out, Mr. Hollywood, Jr. 1947

I had "March" on vinyl years ago, and still have the "Resigned" CD. I like his stuff but have found that his penchant for mid-tempo has tended to make his albums drag a bit. When you break each song free from the sequence though, each really blossoms as a distinct patch of landscape.

Deef

• Moderators

I woke up while Leno was on last night to see the last chorus of him singing a new tune. Good to see him back.

I saw him in Chicago 15 years ago or so with a guy playing the Chamberlin (Jon Brion maybe?). The player was completley abusing that instument in a good way. Grabbing the flywheel to bend into chords with a nice slap delay. I'll never forget that sound.

Superb night of music.

...and that's no myth.

• Members

I have one of his albums from the early 90s and it's really a little gem of craftsmanship. His writing is often quite evocative, in my view, even compelling at times. The mid-tempo comment does apply, though. Two albums in a row by him is a bit much. I picked up another one of his albums, I think, a few years later, but it had a lot of that 80's style production that guys like T-Bone Burnett were so good at that they couldn't let it go... too bad. That album's hazy in my memory, though. I kind of put it out of my head.

But the first one I had -- I just looked it up: Free for All -- that was very nice.

• Members

Mr. Mann? (He's Aimee Mann's husband). The new Michael Penn album is great. Power Pop for the new millennium.

Speaking of Jon Brion - if you are in the LA area, Jon plays every Friday night at a club called Largo, on Fairfax (it's not expensive, but you have to buy dinner - but the food's not bad). He uses looping recorders, plays drums, bass, keys, and guitars, live-composing brilliant pop songs on the fly. It's a remarkable show.

• Members

Originally posted by doug osborne

Speaking of Jon Brion - if you are in the LA area, Jon plays every Friday night at a club called Largo, on Fairfax (it's not expensive, but you have to buy dinner - but the food's not bad). He uses looping recorders, plays drums, bass, keys, and guitars, live-composing brilliant pop songs on the fly. It's a remarkable show.

I've seen him several times. His friends stop by, too. I've seen wander-ons by Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple, and an unforgettably plastered Elliot Smith playing drums on a set of Elton John covers.

Deef

• Members

Originally posted by Deef

I've seen him several times. His friends stop by, too. I've seen wander-ons by Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple, and an unforgettably plastered Elliot Smith playing drums on a set of Elton John covers.

Deef

There's a recent live Jon Brion set from Tonic in NYC circulating that opens with an 11-minute, um, fantasie on Stairway to Heaven that is, without doubt, the funniest thing I've heard since Tom Lehrer. I wish I lived in LA just so I could see those Largo shows. In this live set somewhere, Jon says he's doing a kind of week-in-residence style tour in "major cities." I'm hoping we get one in Boston, a return of the native, as it were...

• Members

Originally posted by NoelEiffe

There's a recent live Jon Brion set from Tonic in NYC circulating that opens with an 11-minute, um, fantasie on Stairway to Heaven that is, without doubt, the funniest thing I've heard since Tom Lehrer. I wish I lived in LA just so I could see those Largo shows. In this live set somewhere, Jon says he's doing a kind of week-in-residence style tour in "major cities." I'm hoping we get one in Boston, a return of the native, as it were...

Oh, and since most Michael Penn fans are likely to dig Jon Brion, it'd be foolish not to mention that Jon's one real solo effort, Meaningless, is worth hunting down from the ends of the earth if necessary...

Archived