Where do you think CD prices are headed?

LiveMusic

Originally posted by Lee Knight

What's a CD?

Exactly. :)

I can see the day coming when kids ask their parents what a CD is... in a similar way to how our kids asked us what a vinyl record was. ;)

IMO, the CD may not be dead, but it's not healthy either. We're coming into an era where the "album" as a work of art is less important to many consumers than individual single songs are... and that's thanks to online downloading from sites like i-Tunes. I find that kind of sad (I LIKE the idea of an "album experience"), but IMO, we're in a situation similar to the late '50's, where singles ruled and pop albums were generally a couple of hits compiled with a lot of "filler". Plus, since the advent of CD's, albums have been getting longer and longer. Vinyl maxed out at about 22 minutes per side before you started getting into serious sonic compromises, and many classic records only ran about 30 minutes total for both "sides", but CD's can hold a lot more... and as albums have been getting longer and longer, and attention spans shorter, people seem less likely to want to put on a whole album, sit in a comfy chair and take it all in.

• Moderators

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Turn and face the strange.

I'm going to miss them, like I missed checking out the artwork and printed details on an LP cover.

Actually, since they are compatible with computer CD-Rom drives, they still may have some life... but I'm not holding my breath.

• Members

The death of the CD...in due time. With DVD surround audio chomping at the bit, maybe sooner than we think. I'd like to see music distributed in a remixable fashion. If you wanted an acousic version you could mute the other tracks. Dance remix with the press of a button and so on. That would be awesome.

• Members

I like Trent Reznor's thing where he posted the artwork as a PDF on the web. Cool.

CDs are in their twilight years. But what we have currently will not replace it; DVD Audio and SACD are DOA. Downloads? Yeah, but I have the feeling there's something else on the horizon that's going to take us by surprise...

Meanwhile, expect CD prices to fall a bit. They were too high to begin with.

• Members

As the iPod and downloading becomes more and more popular with older generations, I think the price of average CDs (10-12 songs) will have to come down. I always thought a $1 a song was fair and with the iTunes going that way, I don`t see CDs selling for much more than $1 a song. The cool thing about a CD that iTunes can never give us, is the art and booklets that I enjoy reading.

So just for that I think CDs will be around but they need to come down in price.

When you consider that you can get a Hollywood movie on DVD with 2 hours of extra footage for $22.00 with the option to hear it in surround and other languages, CDs are way overpriced so...

This is why I am including a 10 minute documentary style video with my album as well as the 10 songs.

People expect more for their money these days and I think its only wise to give them more and make it something they`ll enjoy.

• Members

I don't think the CD format will be going away anytime soon.

They are already compact enough - if they were any smaller we'd need a magnifying glass to view the songlist and graphics that come with the album. If they were smaller we would lose them all the time.

The CD doesn't have glaring inherent flaws like the snap crackle pop that vinyl records had. While there's room for improved sound, any improvement would be barely noticeable instead of the revolutionary difference that CDs were compared to vinyl.

CDs are quite durable.

CDs are inexpensive to maunfacture.

There's already bazillions of CD players out there. The music industry isn't ready to support a new format when people will have to buy new players to play the purchased product.

Yes, the downloadable internet music and the iPod are in fact revolutionary and they will get more popular. CD prices should come down, but they should have done that for years. People will continue to buy albums to own and people will continue to record to CDs as long as there is no copy protection to keep it from happening. There is a market of people who like to own tangible albums. I just don't think you can chalk up every single downloaded song to a missed CD sale. The market will remain large enough to support record stores provided the record stores get with the times and sell blank CD-Rs and iPod or MP3 player accessories, Just like the cassette tapes of yesterday, the same people who buy the albums also do the MP3 thing.

• Members

i love full album and disk art as well as liner notes, but with such a price difference and the amount of music that i purchase, it's usually not enough to sway me to buy the cd unless for something spectacular in the packaging.

i was checking out eMusic and the subscription i'm looking at comes out to a little more than $0.22 a track. that's hard to pass up.

but it does disturb me that liner notes and album art are becoming a thing of the past - always part of the experience. but i guess the vinyl enthusiasts said the same thing about cd's and tapes.

• Members

The public is already buying or has bought the new format (MP3 players and ipods) in the tens of millions.

AFA artwork, you can have TONS more on a website that costs pennies a day than you can on any CD format, and have interaction with your fans, something you can't do with CD artwork. Many artists are setting up downloads so if you want to burn to CD you can print the artwork and put it in the CD case.

Death fo the CD? It's already on it's last legs.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Death fo the CD? It's already on it's last legs.

I'll concede that the new format will grow, but I believe that the CD will be around for a few years to come. There's just not that much wrong with the CD format as a hard copy for music albums.

The old vinyl records had to be handled with kid gloves and even with the most careful treatment, vinyl records would develop extra surface noise. That was a problem. The CD format corrected that. Because of this the CDs eventually replaced vinyl albums.

iPods and MP3 players don't fix any glaring problems with the CD format. They just make it easy for you to record music and take it with you in a very portable unit. iPods and MP3 players are revolutionary and I don't argue with that. I just feel that CDs are a few years from being on their last legs.

• Members

Originally posted by wbcsound

The death of the CD...in due time. With DVD surround audio chomping at the bit, maybe sooner than we think. I'd like to see music distributed in a remixable fashion. If you wanted an acousic version you could mute the other tracks. Dance remix with the press of a button and so on. That would be awesome.

Yeah! Like a Van Goh where you could add some stars to "Starry Night" or you could make "Starry Night" into "Starry Morning"!:rolleyes:

I think when an artist releases a recording they don't want joe consumer to be able to "edit" their work. I know I don't. I hear what you are saying; but I hope that day never comes. Music is already being seen as something free and disposable. I would hate to see artist's work becoming a mere toy to play with. I think most artist's want you to "listen" to their work not "fiddle" with it.:)

(excuse the bad pun)

• Members

iPods and MP3 players don't fix any glaring problems with the CD format. They just make it easy for you to record music and take it with you in a very portable unit.

But that's the glaring problem you identified: Accessibility. So there I am, doing the dishes...and I grab my D.E.D. (Dishwashing Enhancement Device, also known as a Creative Labs Zen). I can listen easily, without having to find a CD, change CDs, go over to a CD player, etc. Same when traveling.

The "problem" with the CD is accessibility -- being able to hear what you want, when you want to hear it. That's what the whole "iPod revolution" is about.

• Members

All too often I am in my car listening to a CD and have a "Whoa wha tthe heck was that moment" when a artist (keyboard player or drummer for example) does something extraordinary. I grab the CD liner and find out who the artist is and then make it a point to find other recordings to buy with them on it as well. I like to learn from other artists and that is agreat way to do it.

When I am at home, I listen to music on my MP3 player, and smetimes don't fell like going all the way to the computer to searchan artists website for info I maynot be able to find because the artist in question may have been a sessionplayer listed in the liner, and not at the bands website.

It goes back to tangibility. I like nkowint info about producers and production, adn artists and artistry. In my experience, this info cannot be had from a website a lot of the time

• Members

There's a place near me called "The Record Shop" that's been around for 40 years. They recently moved due to the old building being torn down. I've known the owner since I bought 45's there as a kid. He said his business has never been this good. Jazz CD's cost $12.95 to $17.95 there. I buy them there once in a great while but have more recently started buying them from the bands we see playing out. They only charge $5 to $10.

• Members

Good the hear that Perfessor.

Maybe its just me and everyone I know, but we all like to have a copy of the CD with the sleeve and pix. Every CD I own is transferred over to my iPod for accessibility like Craig mentioned above. Thats what is great about the iPod and iTunes. However, I do not see CDs becoming non existent until artists can find a way to give fans the same material via the Internet and downloading. It is possible that we will very soon all have hi spped Internet allowing us to download massive files of audio, video and art work and be able to have access to it on our computers. However there is still the need to touch it.

Take books for example. Stephen King released several books several years ago as downloads. Many though that would be the way the industry would go but it did not. People still like to hold a book instead of having to sit at their computer to read it. This is what the iPod did for music.

I just believe there is a human need to be able to touch something if we like it. ;)

• Members

I think CD prices will stay about where they are.

In my town the reduction of wholesale & list prices that the manufacturers implemented a year or so ago has been largely scooped by the big retailers in town.

What happened is that the new pricing structure actually hurt the margins of the retailers. In my town this led the last independant, lower price retailer ( Fantasy Records) to go out of business. Once this happened the Barnes & Noble across the street increased its CD prices to near the levels that existed before the price reductions were made.

Sometimes the best intentions can lead to unexpected results.

• 13 years later...
  • Members
This thread is 13 years old... interesting to read what we were thinking back in the day. Craig said something was coming but he didn't have a name for it... was it streaming?

What's remarkable is how everything has changed in 13 years. In a few years, CD's may not even be around. We'd already been at War for 4 years when this thread was started....We still are. Wish that had changed.

Archived