How the !#%! do you protect against these darn viruses?

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I'm venting again. I do this with computers quite a lot, you may have noticed. It's a love/hate thing.

It's not a problem with my studio computer (which is offline).

No, this time it's the Dell PC that I use to work on the Captive Daughters web site and my web sites. This is connected online via digital cable.

I bought a NetGear router that has a double firewall to offer greater protection against viruses about six weeks ago. I was told that this would work great. But despite that and the usual Norton Anti-Virus and AdAware and other gobbledygook, I got nailed by the Trojan Vundo B virus a couple of days ago.

Tried removing it manually. Can't do it.

Tried this Symantec Trojan Vundo B 1.3.1 removal software, but this didn't do anything. It couldn't find it.

But Norton Anti-Virus can. It keeps putting an obnoxious red warning that says that my computer's been infected with Trojan Vundo B. And then you click on it, and another warning comes up. And so on. And so on. And so on. And so on.

And now the computer's really sloooooooooooooowwwww. It's like if you had a 33 MHz CPU computer and decided to apply complicated filters to 100MG pictures on PhotoShop. With molasses smeared on the motherboard. It's almost that slow.

So whenever I have a spare moment (ha ha), I'm going to have to wipe the HD and start over.

Apparently double firewalls mean absolutely nothing.

:eek:

I've got to do something else to prevent this in the future. But I sure have no idea what.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A suggestion:

Boot your system in Safe Mode (reboot, tap or hold down the F8 button as soon as you get the boot display showing RAM testing, etc).

Once in Safe Mode (without networking, etc, just plain old Safe Mode), scan your system with Norton, AdAware, Spybot S&D, whatever you have. This may remove the slime from your system. If possible, copy or print the instructions from Symantec for removing the virus, and follow those instructions while in Safe mode.

If the system boots normally, many virii, adware, spyware and other fuglies start running and can't be deleted or modified, since they're already in use. Booting in Safe mode usually won't allow these beasties to activate. That's the time to run your scans.

Good luck, and make sure your virus definitions are up to date.

peace,

Tim from Jersey

• Members

Originally posted by flemtone

A suggestion:

Boot your system in Safe Mode (reboot, tap or hold down the F8 button as soon as you get the boot display showing RAM testing, etc).

Once in Safe Mode (without networking, etc, just plain old Safe Mode), scan your system with Norton, AdAware, Spybot S&D, whatever you have. This may remove the slime from your system. If possible, copy or print the instructions from Symantec for removing the virus, and follow those instructions while in Safe mode.

Yes, this is how I tried it, but Norton cannot get rid of it, and neither can that link (which must also be done in Safe Mode).

This is the stuff I've found so far that gets rid of it.

I think I'm gonna wipe my hard drive and start over since the thing was running poorly even before this hit me the othe day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Geeks To Go

This person appears to use Hijack Logs and tries to help you get rid of viruses

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71485

Free Trial download of Spy Sweeper took care of in no time, for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://hijack-this.net/ supposedly got rid of the Vundo virus

Alyssa, Josh got Vundo on his computer too. The removal tool didn't work. Download Hijack This, like Nicole said. Then, you can go to this website and post your log there and they will tell you what exact steps to take.

http://forums.techguy.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54

• Members

Filters, schmilters, you can go nuts trying to block viruses. Life is too short to be stressed over stuff like that. Here's what I do for online computers around here....

Set the pc up the way you want to use it. Then Ghost it (my fav is Ghost 9).

Now go online and do whatever you want.... let those viruses attack all day long. No problem.

Once a month, or whenever you want, do this.......

simply copy your favorite saved emails/data/links to a cd,

then kill the hard drive,

then restore the Ghost image

(takes about 20 minutes here..all automated)

and viola....you have a completely clean pc, running more efficiently than ever because of the fresh restore...and viruses are GONE. Not filtered. Just gone.

Repeat the process once a month or whenever you feel like it.

From that point on, every time you realize a new virus has invaded your computer or slowed your system down....notice how there will be no more stress factor. Just run the Ghost.

• Members

Im having a very similar experience on my networked PC ( like Ken's - my music machine is off-line becaue of the danger).

Ive re-formatted the disc on this baby at least 2 times in the past. Part of my problem is that this is an old win 98 machine. However, we just surf the web and do simple e-mail and wordprocessing on it. I really have no need to spend $ on a a more powerful machine. Besides, its not really clear that XP would fare any better.

This is sooo frustrating.

What other product or service would get away with inflicting this on it's users? I cant think of any.

• Members

The latest version of Norton is absolutely terrible. It can't run in safemode and it can't remove most viruses either. My advise would be to uninstall that bloated POS and to install AVG Free instead. This program works fairly well and it's free! Besides that, the Ghost advise is great. Too bad Symantec killed off the original Ghost and replaced it with another product that they bought out:rolleyes: .... Now I recommend Acronis True Image instead.

• Members

Dylan and Dano speak truth. As a point of reference, what broadband provider do you use? Comcast HSI offers free McAfee virus software and firewall protection for those who have their service - it's possible your provider might do the same.

Ghosting is definitely cool - I haven't tried Acronis as yet, but a good recommendation from Dylan will add points in it's favor.

peace,

Tim from Jersey

• Members

I think I have Time/Warner for digital cable.

I thought that viruses could not get through a physical firewall.

This is what I have:

-NetGear firewalls

-ZoneAlarm Pro firewall

-Norton Anti-Virus that is kept up to date

-AdAware

-Some other kind of Spyware thing

-I use Yahoo for my email

-I don't use Outlook

-I use Mozilla Firefox

-I haven't downloaded anything strange or unidentifiable knowingly

Now if I have or do all this stuff, and I'm still getting hammered by viruses, what am I supposed to do?

I guess I will have to do the Acronis True Image/Ghost thing. I'll look these up and see what they're about.

• Members

My answer - one you're not going to like - is a fruit, a crunchy fruit, often red, often associated with oranges by contrast, prominently enshrined in Biblical lore, maker of integrated multimedia computing solutions, yadda yadda yadda...

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

I use trend micro

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's an online virus checker that the virus's can't wreck.

I've had good results when I got a bad one a year back. It was the only one that could get rid of it.

I'd check in run/msconfig and see if there's something in there that runs on startup!

Kids and computers don't mix, cause no matter how many times you tell em not to download from never never land, they will.

Hopefully they didn't put in your email anywhere to subscribe to something!

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

My answer - one you're not going to like - is a fruit, a crunchy fruit, often red, often associated with oranges by contrast, prominently enshrined in Biblical lore, maker of integrated multimedia computing solutions, yadda yadda yadda...

Actually, you're preachin' to the choir. To avoid viruses, that's one of the most effective ways to go.

But alas, it's not actually my computer. It belongs to Captive Daughters, the non-profit organization that I know you are familiar with (based on our previous conversations) that I manage their web site for.

Added to that is that I am not very good with web site design, and only know how to use FrontPage, which was discontinued for that maker of integrated multimedia computing solutions of which you speak :D.

So I am trying to work with what I have been given, y'know?

~~~~

BTW, for my studio, I run Pro Tools on a computer made by the maker of integrated multimedia computing solutions of which you speak and keep it offline.

• Members

Originally posted by Kendrix

Part of my problem is that this is an old win 98 machine. However, we just surf the web and do simple e-mail and wordprocessing on it. I really have no need to spend $ on a a more powerful machine. Besides, its not really clear that XP would fare any better.

Yeah, this is part of your problem. Windows 9x has absolutely no mechanism for protections - everything basically runs with admin-powers. At least with 2000/XP, you have things that you can do to lock the machine down somewhat.

I do not allow 9x machines on my LAN - ever.

• Members

Originally posted by BOOKUMDANO

Filters, schmilters, you can go nuts trying to block viruses. Life is too short to be stressed over stuff like that. Here's what I do for online computers around here....

Set the pc up the way you want to use it. Then Ghost it (my fav is Ghost 9).

Now go online and do whatever you want.... let those viruses attack all day long. No problem.

Once a month, or whenever you want, do this.......

simply copy your favorite saved emails/data/links to a cd,

then kill the hard drive,

then restore the Ghost image

(takes about 20 minutes here..all automated)

and viola....you have a completely clean pc, running more efficiently than ever because of the fresh restore...and viruses are GONE. Not filtered. Just gone.

Repeat the process once a month or whenever you feel like it.

From that point on, every time you realize a new virus has invaded your computer or slowed your system down....notice how there will be no more stress factor. Just run the Ghost.

Well, restoring your disk image every month is a bit extreme, but I do agree that a disk image is necessary, as well as regular backups of important files. I'm just now in the process of backing up all my docs and music files. I will make a new disk image later. I back up often, daily sometimes, and create a new image every 6 months or so depending.

Just have a basic firewall and a basic anti-virus software program and you will unlikely need to wipe out your hdd very often. Good idea to be prepared tho.

Disk images are also good for those times when you upgrade your hdd to get more storage space. I use Adonis True Image. I had some problems with the DVD writer on both our home computers working with Ghost 9. I do hear the Ghost 9 is good, it just would not perform with our writers. I did not want to go through the hassle of trouble shooting so I just went to different image software and it works fine.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Come to the dark side......

This means....

Throwing my PC through the window?

Tying up hackers and and subjecting them to cruel and unusual treatment in my basement (like playing Lindsay Lohan's CD over and over)?

Buying a Mac?

Buying a PC?

Buying any computer?

Darth is your father?

We're having another power outage? ;)

Sorry to hear about it Ken... when safe mode doesn't work, wipe and restore is the best option IMO.

And yes, I keep my studiop DAW machines offline for this very reason, and use seperate, dedicated Internet machines for web surfing.

• Members

Hey Ken, I haven't had any problem with viruses or trojans on my Dell PC since I installed AVG FREE and scheduled it to scan automatically every night. During the last 8 months or so it has removed 28 trojans. I'd get AVG and try running it in Safe Mode.

I also run Spybot, Adaware, and Trend Micro occaisonally, but AVG seems to be doing a great job. NORTON is extreme bloatware. I 'd ditch that. Running Norton in itself will slow your computer down, AVG runs unobstrusively in the background.

The problem with a lot of Trojans sometimes, is the longer you leave them on your computer, the more other crap they download, and then it just snowballs.

• Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

I was thinking you could boot your computer in Macintosh mode. We all got shiny new Panasonic Tough Books at work a couple of months ago, and now, without ever touching the WWW, they are acting up in different stupid ways. They do most of what we process better than the original ones, but some let you enjoy several minutes of blank gray screen as you enter the software, while others go straight to it. Mine goes straight to the software, but balks with its DSL test modem. I found a reboot usually works. A reboot to that crunchy fruit would be a treat.

• Members

Hi. I have my studio computer connected straight to cable modem all day every day without any problems using Mcafee virusscan. It's like 40 bucks for a yearly subscription and runs in the background. It will automatically stop any virus BEFORE it gets installed. I've had e-mails with viruses that i tried to open but the program killed the virus before it had a chance to get installed. The other thing i like is that i don't have to run the antivirus every night. virusscan also updates automatically so you don't have to manually do it. I love it.

Archived