Explosions in New Delhi, India

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Thanks.

And yes, I would think that ND would be very safe to live. I'm in Los Angeles. Whether it's safe or not ordinarily is already debatable...:D....but some people are a bit more worried now because Al Qaeda said they were targeting Los Angeles.

In the past, India has been quite safe. And is much safer if you are comparing crime to the U.S.

But they have also had their share of terrorist violence in the past 15 years or so, and for the past 50 years, have had difficulty with separatist/terrorist movements in Kashmir.

But I have friends that I have visited several times. They live right by Paharganj Market, literally across the alley from the Ramakrishna Temple, an incredibly spiritual and peaceful place. So it's very incongruous to think that this area is getting bombed somehow. I just hope that they are okay. So man y people shop there, stay there, live there...

Still haven't heard from them yet.

• Members

Okay, finally heard from them!! They're all perfectly fine!! Wheewwwwww!

Incidentally, Paharganj, where my friends live, has become a place popular with Western backpackers and is very close to one of the largest train stations in Delhi. The bombs went off the night before the Diwali Festival, so there were more people than usual shopping for stuff.

In other words, the terrorists who did this chose very carefully.

• Members

Terrorism has been a fact of life for India for a while now, and it's surprising that the U.S. government hadn't had closer ties with India (the world's largest democracy) much sooner to try and share information.

In case people leap to the conclusion that all terrorism in India is a result of Islamic nutjobs, I also want to mention that there has been some extremely faulty decisions made by the Indian government in their policy in Kashmir, which many consider to be an occupied country, and extremely poor judgment in doing things like building Hindu temples on the sites of Islamic mosques.

So yeah, it goes both ways.

Also, terrorism has occurred from separatists, such as from those in the Punjabi region in the late '80s.

Most of the Hindus and Muslims in India live in peace, often in the same neighborhoods, etc. Most conflicts between the two, at least in the last 57 years, can be directly traced back to poor administrative/governmental decisions and a quick-trigger finger media. That said, I think the Indian government is getting a much better handle on dealing effectively with terrorists and separatists, choosing to do things such as treating Kashmiris better. Geeeee....

I'm not going to get into a debate about the specifics of terrorism and policies here, but suffice it to say that there has been piss-poor judgment on many sides (India, U.S., Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Saudis, Israelis, Palestinians, yadda yadda yadda).

Archived