HC Site Specific Problems with Safari

Geoff Grace

• Members

Starting today, I haven't been able to post or even preview posts at this site while using my Safari browser. Every time I try to post or preview a post, it crashes Safari.

I've reverted to my backup preferences and settings that worked fine yesterday, and I've logged in and out and deleted all cookies. I've repaired permissions and even installed the latest Safari update (1.3.1) for my copy of OS X (10.3.9), and nothing has helped. I also have no problems posting via Safari at MusicPlayer. This leads me to wonder if something has changed at Harmony Central within the last 24 hours.

Is anyone else here having the same problem with HC and Safari under OS X (10.3)? I guess if you are, then you can't post about it here unless you have another browser. (I'm using Internet Explorer to start this thread.)

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Donovan:

I'm no expert on browsers, but why don't you just use firefox?

I don't know much about Firefox, but I love the tabbed browsing feature in Safari, and I've got the program tweaked just the way I like it.

Safari is also usually quite stable.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Thanks guys. Your working copies convinced me that the problem was on my computer.

As a result, I uninstalled Safari and reinstalled it. Now it's working fine.

It's odd that it crashed here but not at MusicPlayer. I guess the reason why will have to remain a mystery

• Members

I have no problem using Safari and HC on either 10.3.9 or 10.4.2.

Two things to try if you're having problems:

1) trash your Safari preferences and reboot

2) create a new, pristine identity. Just to make it easy, call it TEST with password TEST. Then log into TEST and boot up Safari and see if it works. if it does, you know that there's something in your main identity (corrupt preferences or other files, conflicts, etc.) that is messing things up.

By the way, logging into a pristine TEST identity is often a good, quick way to troubleshoot. If problems persist, even in TEST, you know the problem is not with corrupted software in your main identity. If TEST works fine, you know the problem lies within your Main Identity.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Starting today, I haven't been able to post or even preview posts at this site while using my Safari browser. Every time I try to post or preview a post, it crashes Safari.

I've reverted to my backup preferences and settings that worked fine yesterday, and I've logged in and out and deleted all cookies. I've repaired permissions and even installed the latest Safari update (1.3.1) for my copy of OS X (10.3.9), and nothing has helped. I also have no problems posting via Safari at MusicPlayer. This leads me to wonder if something has changed at Harmony Central within the last 24 hours.

Is anyone else here having the same problem with HC and Safari under OS X (10.3)? I guess if you are, then you can't post about it here unless you have another browser. (I'm using Internet Explorer to start this thread.)

Best,

Geoff

Posting from Safari Version 2.0 right now.

MAC OSX 10.4.2

No problems...

• Members

I think Firefox and Safari are pretty much 6 one way, half a dozen the other.

I use Firefox on my IBM laptop and Safari on my Macs. They're pretty similar in many ways (tabbed browsing, favorites bar, etc.) -- the main reason I use Safari on the Macs is it comes pre-installed with the OS, is supported as part of the OS (and on its own) and integrates well. Firefox would probably be as good or nearly so on a Mac, but I figure...why add additional software to the computer when Safari's already there?

Admittedly, I'm a lay user, not that well-informed on these things, but that's been my experience.

--Mark

P.S. Glad you got it fixt, Geoff.

• Members

Originally posted by Red Winger

...-- the main reason I use Safari on the Macs is it comes pre-installed with the OS, is supported as part of the OS (and on its own) and integrates well. Firefox would probably be as good or nearly so on a Mac, but I figure...why add additional software to the computer when Safari's already there?...

Interesting. The primary reasons Microsoft lost its Internet Explorer/Windows anti-trust case.

Just an observation. :)

On the Mac I've just started using Opera (now free). Still use Firefox mainly and almost never use Safari. At work I'm forced to use IE. Everybody tabs except IE.

• Members

Ohhh. Safari is a Mac platform browser. So that's why I never heard of it:D

No offense guys. Actually, I wish I was a Mac user. But I can't afford that much computer. If Macs are the Ferrarris(spelling?), then I'll have to keep using my Chevy like PC.

But can I get Safari for PC?

• Members

Originally posted by Deef

At work I'm forced to use IE. Everybody tabs except IE.

Just wondering here.....

Can you use Netscape 8.0 or Maxthon? Both sport IE emulation and actually work very well though Netscape is, obviously, closer to Firefox's way of tabbing. Avant Browser is another, built on the IE engine, but I started having problems with it.

The laptop I use for work is running XP. I run Firefox for non IE required browsing and Netscape for the sites that require IE. It's been great for the real estate related sites that require IE.

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

Just wondering here.....

Can you use Netscape 8.0 or Maxthon? Both sport IE emulation and actually work very well though Netscape is, obviously, closer to Firefox's way of tabbing. Avant Browser is another, built on the IE engine, but I started having problems with it.

The laptop I use for work is running XP. I run Firefox for non IE required browsing and Netscape for the sites that require IE. It's been great for the real estate related sites that require IE.

Well.. I'm the one forcing everyone (over 1500 PCs regionally) to use IE. Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

It has to do with remote desktop management (pushing software to PCs over the network) and CSS implementation for our intranet (which I designed and run). We're a Microsoft shop and that's that.

We have an intranet redesign planned to allow our users to use the browser of their choice, but the desktop team restricts user software installations anyway, so it may be a lot of work for nuttin'. And it was a huge advantage designing for just one browser engine during development. An advantage of intranet development ("you will use the browser I damn well tell you to use") over the internet ("You mean I have to make this page work on Macs, too?!").

:cool:

Archived