Ed A.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Why would anyone care?

I think for this kind of reason

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he said

I mean, sexuality is a tough one for all people, it's a part of us as chemical beasties -- so for another person to be able to accept himself, be honest about who he is and leave behind shame...shame man, shame is a dark, dark thing

I most certainly care about that

• Members

What I meant was why would anyone care that he was gay? What he wants to do with his body should be his own business. If he felt shame about it and coming out relieves that, fine. But I think the people who should feel shame are the ones who judge others based on their sexual orientation.

I mean, is some homophobic Star Trek fan now going to say "I don't like Star Trek after all because Sulu is gay?" That would be pretty weird, I think.

• Members

I mean, is some homophobic Star Trek fan now going to say "I don't like Star Trek after all because Sulu is gay?" That would be pretty weird, I think.

Yeah, you'd think moving out of their mom's basement and finally kissing a girl (or boy) would be a higher priority than hatin' on Sulu. :idea::eek::D

• Members

I actually think that WOULD happen in a few sad cases.

C'mon! He helmed the Enterprise NCC-1701! Who cares if he was gay! He drove the ship throughout its original five year mission, man!

- Jeff

• Members

What I meant was why would anyone care that he was gay?

Perhaps isolated gay people would feel less isolated by his public disclosure, and straight people who were on-the-edge homophobes and happen to like the guy might become less homophobic.

You know, the "Ellen effect": a repected public figure comes out and the public becomes that much more OK with it, and perhaps a gay kid feels that much less isolated and shat upon. Ultimately, you're right that no one should care. Perhaps this is a step in that direction.

-PL&B

• Members

You know, I just realized that a few morons I know stopped liking the band Judas Priest after Rob Halford came out as gay, and I've heard stories of people who stopped listening to Queen after finding out Freddie was gay.

What... the music just got worse? Or are they afraid that the gayness will rub off on them?

I don't claim to understand people, really.

- Jeff

• Members

What I meant was why would anyone care that he was gay? What he wants to do with his body should be his own business. If he felt shame about it and coming out relieves that, fine.

I guess that's my point - for myself, it's not so much "don't care" as it is the positive action "to accept"

"don't care / anyone care" is a lack of caring...I care, I care to accept

But I think the people who should feel shame are the ones who judge others based on their sexual orientation.

I personally wsh no being shame as it is a darkness

The sword of righteousness is a weapon and cuts

• Members

I don't claim to understand people, really.

foh scheezi. I remember the Judas Priest 'fiasco'- people burning their records and stuff, like in the 1960s and Beatles records.

That type of thinking just creeps me out.

About Sulu-

No big deal, IMHO. True it's cool that he's comfortable about talking about it. Thumbs up for that.

Really doubt that this will make any huge impact amongst the Legion of Trekkies. I mean, C'mon folks... the SciFi crowd digs movies and books and stuff that grant full human intelligence to dolphins, pit the protagonist against massless plasma beings and very matter-of-factly present a universe quite full of bizarre other life forms as grotesque or beautiful as the imagination could grasp.

If Sulu thought Kirk was hawt it's pretty small potatoes in their world.

• Members

You know, the "Ellen effect": a repected public figure comes out and the public becomes that much more OK with it, and perhaps a gay kid feels that much less isolated and shat upon. Ultimately, you're right that no one should care. Perhaps this is a step in that direction.>>

Well said, good point.

• Members

Re: The Ellen Effect

That is a good point.

I caught a bit of an AM radio sports show where people were discussing the WNBA player who had come out. And their reaction was 1.) who cares (sort of in the sense that Craig said), and 2.) that this might pave the way for other current pro athletes to also come out, paving the way for more acceptance ("The WNBA player made it easier for me to decide to come out myself" or that kind of thing).

The reaction here at work was sort of a shrug of the shoulders - and I work at a fairly conservative place.

• Members

I agree that, in a more evolved world, it should be a non-issue. However, as long as there is active resistance to the rights of any group, I'm glad to see active support - in this case, the moral support of a role model's burgeoning self-acceptance.

Originally
posted
at CNN.com:

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

I sure do look forward to the day when we're all just people, when differences in sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc. are simply accepted the way we now accept differences in hair color - kind of like the future imagined in Star Trek! ;)

("He's black on the LEFT side

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

I sure do look forward to the day when we're all just people, when differences in sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc. are simply accepted the way we now accept differences in hair color.

Yeah, except for people with red hair.

Archived