Power Amps

Cabbass

• Members

Technically, yes you can. Most amp manufacturers will tell you no, but it can be done. You must be very careful about polarity and impedences.

The way bridging an amp works is like this:

When you flip the bridge switch you are actually flipping the polarity of one side of the input to the amplifier and parallelling the inputs at the same time.

As a result the same program information shows up on both outputs, however one channel is polarity inverted.

When you use the bridged outputs, you are using one half of the amplifier for the positive side and one for the negative.

If you tap the regular outputs you will still have the signal, but you'll have to figure out which one is polarity inverted. (it's usually the left I think, but I always double check.)

Be very careful that you don't go under the minimum impedences when you do this...

• Members

yes you can, but I would call this a VERY advanced thing to do.

ch A polarity normal, and a speaker hooked up normal.

ch B polarity reversed, and speaker ALSO reversed.

and lastly you conect a speakre from A+ (to + on speaker) to b+(- on speaker). - this speaker will hoever recieve more power then the other 2 (3 db I think)

Also you have to factor in the impeadance - each 1/2 of the amp will have to drive its own speaker , plus 1/2 of the one that is bridged. - Like I said it is a dicey thing to do, but I have done it to drive for example a 3 speaker sluster with 1 amp.

The part most people can't rigure out is that if you reverse the polaterity of ch"B" how do you then get everything back in the correct phase, .. and the solution to that is to hook the "B" speaker up revered as well, .. so if you reverse it twice you end up with it correct again.

PS once again I will say that this is not soem thing you want to normally do unless you know what your doing.

Archived