MasterWriter software - The mind can't compete

• Members

Do you use it?

I tried the demo, but had a hard time justifying the price tag. It's nice from an auto-rhyming dictionary pov but I didn't think the workflow would really click for me enough to justify the deep divide between the $9 dictionary and the $299 software... Does has some interesting features though....

Noel

• Members

No, i don't have it.

It would be kind of strange for me to use a helper like that.

It seems that what it does is kind of cliche stuff. It has to

come from a idea within myself, something personal, and

original.

OK, maybee to search for a word now and then who rhymes,

but there are many website where you can type in words, and

it lists a endless amount of words who rhyme, or synonyms etc.

http://www.rhymezone.com/

http://dictionary.reference.com/

http://thesaurus.reference.com/

• Members

Yeah, I agree. What I was kinda hoping it would do is organize the pages of journal-style lyric snippets and in some collosally useful way I haven't thought of yet, marry my collection of words to some kind of platform that would actually assist in writing actual songs.

That isn't just a pipe dream, I daresay, but is probably a CRACK pipe dream :freak:

Ye olde dictionary, and ye olde word processor, and ye olde notebook are still the tools of choice, and probably the only truly inexpensive ones we use...

• Moderators

Well...

I think it's the best thing since they began slicing bread. During the demo period I wrote 4 songs. Complete, analyzed, re-wrote, edited, done.

That's not to disagree with any comments above, only to point out, it's going to click with some people out there. It clicked... like a "pop" in my subconscience.

The way I used it was...

Type in a semi random idea / phrase like,

Fallin' from the sky like pins and needles

Raining down on me like tears of fire

I don't know what that means and that's how it works for me. It's going to help give direction to a semi nebulous idea. I know the idea is something good, but it needs to reveal itself.

Now I would go searching for rhymes for the key words in the sentence. That's going to help me start setting up a rhyme scheme. Internal rhymes rock. The obvious needles and fire will get looked at but what about sky, pins, tears, raining down. If I find good rhymes that work for internals, that going to push me in a whole new direction.

The ability to quickly collect these rhymes and put them aside for easy retrieval is the key for me. Just brainstorm in collecting mode, letting the words conjure images. Later, being selective in choosing my words from the pile, and remembering the images that sprung to mind, helps me write the story.

Once the song starts gelling, I start guiding the process more, fulfilling my more "fleshed out" idea.

One man's wasted 0's and 1's is another man's magic app.

• Members

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

No, i don't have it.

It would be kind of strange for me to use a helper like that.

It seems that what it does is kind of cliche stuff. It has to

come from a idea within myself, something personal, and

original.

OK, maybee to search for a word now and then who rhymes,

but there are many website where you can type in words, and

it lists a endless amount of words who rhyme, or synonyms etc.

Yah... back in my early days of songwriting, coming from being a failed academic poet, I was having some probs getting into the whole rhyming thing... so I got a rhyming dictionary out of the library and lived with it for a few weeks, got my head into a sort of automatic rhyme-spew mode (just go through the alphabet/consonants)... the cliches I've always been able to handle myself.

• Members

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

you have to provoke to get attention, i say it can, "can't compete" is what it says on the masterwriter website...

but don't worry, i'm not on this planet to be understood!

Thanks. I appreciate a sarcastic jab at an overhyped product, but in this case, I thought that you'd just made a typo.

:D

Archived