Is this a klutzy way to record fx in Sonar?

nat whilk II

• Members

All I want to do is to:

1. start with a recorded track of audio data in Sonar 4.

2. apply a plug-in effect e.g. Pantheon Reverb.

3. record the wet signal only to a separate track.

The way I'm doing this is perhaps klutzy - let me know if there's a better way:

1. I start with a midi-track associated with a DXi synth like Battery or some other.

2. I load the plug-in into the effects bin of the DXi track.

3. I set the plugged-in effect to 100% wet.

4. I freeze the track (now there's effected audio data in the DXi track)

5. I copy the frozen audio to a new audio track.

6. I unfreeze the DXi track and delete the effect from the effect bin on that track.

So now I have a wet track that I can further mess with - eq, chorus, pan, all that kind of stuff, and it's "free" of the original midi track (or even a dry audio track of the material).

Klutzy? Brilliant? Stupid? Not even possible the way I think I'm describing it? Ok, but not the best way?

It seems odd to me the manual and the Cakewalk website don't seem to cover a basic procedure like tracking effects separately....they talk about monitoring effects via a bus a lot, but so far I don't see anything on just getting down a 100% wet audio track while preserving the original dry...

nat whilk ii

• Members

Try this:

1. Set up the track to sound exactly the way you want it to sound.

2. Set that track to Solo and put the focus on it (i.e., click on the track number in the track view)

3. From the Edit menu, choose Bounce to Track (make sure you have FX enabled for the bounce). Sonar will create a new track with just the sound from that track.

There are some subtleties involved with the bounce to track function, let me know if you run into problems.

Archived