OT-shower filters

Ryst

• Members

Anybody use them? My wife was thinking of getting one because her hair is in the worst shape it has ever been and when she lived in Venezuela she never had a problem. Same with me. No matter how long my hair used to get it would never thin out but now it does a few weeks after getting it cut again. And it's not because I am getting older either. We both noticed that after moving to Geogia, our hair has changed. She did some research and found that Atlanta has one of the worst water conditions in the country. So we are thinking about getting a water filter for our shower. Do these things actually do any good?

• Members

If the problem is related to minerals in the H2O then the filter wont do much for ya. Various filters use activated charcoal to neutralize many chemicals and/or micro membranes to filter out sediment. These do virtually nothing for dissolved magnesium/calcium/lime or similar minerals.

Get the H2O tested for hardness . IF indicated try a water softener.

• Members

YES YES YES!

I have a dry skin problem and it's either gone or drastically minimized since I've gotten a shower filter. Most municipal water supplies use almost enough chlorine as swimming pool water!! I also found out that's what made my skin dry and itchy.

Any hardware store/Home Despot/Lowes/etc has these things. They're usually about $20 average and last between 5-10 months depending on how badly chlorinated is your water.

You usually have to replace the filter or the entire device.

If you're really hardcore, I would recommend installing a water filtration system in your house, so that all the water that comes out of your appliances is chlorine-free.

Chlorine is an unfortunately necessary additive in municipal water supplys to combat bacterial growth in the water, so don't expect your city to do away with chlorine or chloramine (chlorine/ammonia mixture).

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Yeah Nathan, they put a ton of chlorine in the water here in Atlanta and a shower filter definitely does help!

Thanks Lee! I noticed my hair completely change ever since i moved here but it took me a while to figure out why. So any suggestions on what type of shower filter to get? I have done some research but there are different brands and different types.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryst

Thanks Lee! I noticed my hair completely change ever since i moved here but it took me a while to figure out why.

Yeah same thing happened to me when I moved here. But not since installing the shower filter.

So any suggestions on what type of shower filter to get? I have done some research but there are different brands and different types.

I have used 2 different types and they both worked fine. The first one was discontinued so I've been using one of these ever since, which I got from Home Depot. So long as it removes chlorine it should take care of the hair issue. :)

Archived