computer speakers for a NON engineer, about $100

Not Serial

• Members

my dad needs a set of speakers for his new mac at work. he is a musician, and at home i bought him a set of hr824's for listening to cd's.

he likes them 824's. his eyes beam over every time he fires them up.

he wants to spend about $100 for speakers. these would need to be powered, and reasonably loud.

unfortunately he is suffering from slight hearing loss due to a growth in his ear that tore his eardrum. he is waiting to undergo surgery to correct this and possibly regain normal hearing.

by "loud" i mean i have to talk to him at a moderate volume for him to understand me. if i were to talk to my wife this loud she would be hurt and mad that i yelled at her. you know, the volume you talk to your friends at the bar where the crowd is noisey. my dad still hears good enough to conduct several bands and play in tune when he performs, but i can tell the high end aint what it used to be.

i dont know what to tell him. i dont have much experience with low end speakers like he wants.

my mother bought herself a set of apple pro speakers, and while i think these are neat, they would not be loud enough for dad.

we have a set of altec lansings at work, 110V and they are loud and sound ok.

i bought my wife a set of harmon kardon comp seakers and i like these, but they are not very loud.

any suggestions?

of course he would like another set of hr824's but hey. those aint $100 yet.

• Members

You're a good son.

;)

I'm going to be helping a friend look for precisely what you're looking for (well, she doesn't need it too loud) for precisely the amount (or less, she's easygoing).

I've glanced at both Circuit City's online store as well as online music stores but haven't done any serious work on it, yet.

Looks like there are a number of speakers to choose from.

But I know from buying a Cambridge 2.1 system 6 or 7 years ago that there can be a REAL range of quality in low end speakers.

A lot of times, 'desirable' computer speakers have the hyped up, boomy sound favored by gamers...

On the one hand, it might make it easier for your dad to make out stuff -- but, since the current damage will be repaired, I'd be worried about adding new damage from the hyped up high end.

But if he likes the flat response of the Mackies, he should be cool with some less jacked up computer speakers.

• Members

When I was shopping for some monitors for my "upstairs studio annex," I looked at everything in the 100 range (looked being the operative word) and ended up with the Edirol MA-10Ds. If you can find them sans "D" (digital inputs) you might get them for less than 100.

I don't know what to say about them. They're powered, handsome, and sound okay. I didn't get chance to compare them to the Roland, Yamaha, or Behringer offerings in the same price range.

They go pretty loud, but loud emough? can't say for sure.

• Members

not sure of teh detials, and weather it is pratical, but hit up the locoal bargian finder, .. used magizines, and get a older reciever, and some nice home audio speakers. EASY or 100$, all you need is the 1/8 inch to RCA jack and your in bussiness.!

• Members

There are lots to choose from.

I did a quick search through our distribution channels and here are some that jumped out as seemingly good for the buck:

Altec Lansing VS4221 We sell these for about $100.

Logitech V-4 These go for around $80.

Logitech Z-3 These are around $80.

The specs on all of these are halfway decent for PC speakers and they should put out enough volume for your dad. If you look around, you should be able to find some good deals.

Archived