RIP, The Telegram -- WU axes t-gram after 150 years

blue2blue

• Members

Telegram Passes Into History

Associated Press 10:00 AM Feb, 02, 2006

For more than 150 years, messages of joy, sorrow and success came in signature yellow envelopes hand delivered by a courier. Now the Western Union telegram is officially a thing of the past.

The company formed in April 1856 to exploit the hot technology of the telegraph to send cross-country messages in less than a day. It is now focusing its attention on money transfers and other financial services, and delivered its final telegram on Friday.

"The decision was a hard decision because we're fully aware of our heritage," Victor Chayet, a company spokesman said Wednesday. "But it's the final transition from a communications company to a financial services company."

Several telegraph companies that eventually combined to become Western Union were founded in 1851. Western Union built its first transcontinental telegraph line in 1861.

_________

More: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70147-0.html?tw=wn_index_18

• Members

So... in the old days (and if I'm saying that I think we understand I'm talking about the old days)... did they send out the telegrams with the word "STOP" instead of periods?

I THINK the first telegrams I remember just had periods. Then again, they were clearly teletype, I THINK, with the lines of text pasted on...

Anyhow... I knew telegrams weren't what they used to be but I was still a bit surprised to see them go completely. You'd think they'd just stamp the brand name on some kind of e-communication. No reason, I suppose, they can't do that later.

Archived