I had no idea. (Songs that flatline.)

Rabid

• Members

I've noticed that most anything from my collectin of NOW series CD's is close to flatline. Even the country and pop tunes. :p

It makes me wonder if when I put my music online, should I give people a choice of what to download? Dynamic or Squished.

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

I've noticed that most anything from my collectin of NOW series CD's is close to flatline. Even the country and pop tunes.
:p

It makes me wonder if when I put my music online, should I give people a choice of what to download? Dynamic or Squished.

And just imagine what happens when they hit the broadcast limiters and such! Radio just can't sound any worse. :(

• Members

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTT!!!!!! J-SIS christ kids,.......never show curves like this to Craig!!!! You''re upsetting him,...before you know it Him and Where90210 are ranting about loudnesswars again! ;)

Oh Where90210,..don''t wanna hijack this but I have a new SKA band and where playing "" Rascal King"" ,...... That must bring memories to you :D

• Members

I'd like to think that's an extraordinary song-envelope (on the right) but I strongly suspect it isn't. And a LOL to Mr Knobs observation on unused LSBs...

[PS... I like Cakewalk but I also made the mistake of buying Pyro a while back. The version I have SUCKS in the UI department. But then I hate all burners. I used to like CD-Architect 4 (pre-XP) but the latest version from Sony I can't even get to work. The ONLY burner I've found that I don't hate at this point is DeepBurner. And it has some problems, too. But the personal version is free, which takes away the pain that comes from paying for something like Pyro or Nero. And don't even START me on the bozos at Adaptec or whatever they've had to rename themselves to avoid the well-deserved animosity and opprobrium that came from all the CD-burners they bought up and ruined.]

• Members

I'm no expert, but I've seen this kind of thing before, and I can't figure out how it is that the meters can be pegged, and yet I can't seem to hear the audio clipping. How are the mastering engineers pulling this off?

Is it litterally at the edge of digital distortion? Is it past the edge? How do they know how far past the edge they can go?

And also, I see SO MANY people complain about loudness in mastering, and yet I've never seen one person defend it. If that's the case, why is everyone doing it?

I get so confused...:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

20 years from now people will go "What WERE they thinking?!?"

+1

I just hope people are saving the pre-mastered versions of these tunes so that they can be sensibly remastered at such a time as people realize that compression to this extent actually damages the music.

Hopefully, the time people realize this will be in the near future...

• Members

Originally posted by Super 8

I'm no expert, but I've seen this kind of thing before, and I can't figure out how it is that the meters can be pegged, and yet I can't seem to hear the audio clipping. How are the mastering engineers pulling this off?

More than likely, something similar to this ...

me_loudness.jpg

• Moderators

Originally posted by Super 8

Well, two ways. With hard limiting, you can keep the peaks at -0.1 dB and bring up the average level as far as you want.

A few samples over 0dBFS aren't going to be audible. Do that for a while, and keep increasing the number of overs in a row and people will probably grow to like that sound, if they haven't already.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Maybe they'll be saying, "I can't believe they left that last dB in there!"

;)

Terry D.

:D :D :D

_________

Wavehammer... I haven't used it in the current SF8... but I tried it a few times in SF5...

Man... they named THAT thing right.

Argh.

• Members

Seems like the smashing is getting worse and worser. Thing that gets me is it's just the oppisite with dvd movies. You can't hear the dialog and then KA-BLAM! something blows up and knocks you through the back wall.

Just a note on Pyro, I've got the 2003 version and it's fantastic on vinyl. I've used it a bunch to get rid of pops and clicks.

:thu:

• Members

Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to start (or contribute to) an argument on the art of mastering... I don't truly understand it myself.

"Hysteria", I feel, is supposed to be distorted! If you listen to the song, it's gritty... and loud... hysterical (marked by excessive or uncontrollable emotion), if you will.

But that's just my take.

Archived