X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anderton
    20 years from now people will go "What WERE they thinking?!?"

Maybe they'll be saying, "I can't believe they left that last dB in there!"

Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Or, more likely:

"Ehh....CAN YOU SPEAK A BIT LOUDER...I DIDN'T QUITE CATCH THAT....."

--Mark
      "I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."
      -Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Comment

+1

I just hope people are saving the pre-mastered versions of these tunes so that they can be sensibly remastered at such a time as people realize that compression to this extent actually damages the music.
        Hopefully, the time people realize this will be in the near future...

Comment

Originally posted by Super 8
          I'm no expert, but I've seen this kind of thing before, and I can't figure out how it is that the meters can be pegged, and yet I can't seem to hear the audio clipping. How are the mastering engineers pulling this off?

More than likely, something similar to this ...

Stone 11
          Alternative Southern Rock

-- Visit Us At --
          http://myspace.com/stone11band
          http://stone11.com

Comment

Originally posted by Super 8
            I'm no expert, but I've seen this kind of thing before, and I can't figure out how it is that the meters can be pegged, and yet I can't seem to hear the audio clipping. How are the mastering engineers pulling this off?

Well, two ways. With hard limiting, you can keep the peaks at -0.1 dB and bring up the average level as far as you want.

A few samples over 0dBFS aren't going to be audible. Do that for a while, and keep increasing the number of overs in a row and people will probably grow to like that sound, if they haven't already.

Terry D.
            Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

You can do that easlily - most hard rock and metal and country is like that nowadays.

Just put it through Sony's wavehammer set on RMS detect and auto gain compensate and then into an L2 to square off what's left.

Instant lollypop shape.

cheers
              john
              Recording Studio Design Forum
              Design Site

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Maybe they'll be saying, "I can't believe they left that last dB in there!"

Terry D.

_________

Wavehammer... I haven't used it in the current SF8... but I tried it a few times in SF5...

Man... they named THAT thing right.

Argh.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Some of us are saying that NOW!!!!

What ARE we thinking? It sounds awful!
                  Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Seems like the smashing is getting worse and worser. Thing that gets me is it's just the oppisite with dvd movies. You can't hear the dialog and then KA-BLAM! something blows up and knocks you through the back wall.

Just a note on Pyro, I've got the 2003 version and it's fantastic on vinyl. I've used it a bunch to get rid of pops and clicks.

-David

(the artist formally known as DC before the move to HC)

Comment

Disclaimer: This is not an attempt to start (or contribute to) an argument on the art of mastering... I don't truly understand it myself.

"Hysteria", I feel, is supposed to be distorted! If you listen to the song, it's gritty... and loud... hysterical (marked by excessive or uncontrollable emotion), if you will.

But that's just my take.
                      Who's leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

My bands:
                      The Argos
                      e.joseph
                      Addix Metzatricity

Myself:
                      Addix on MySpace

Comment

Working...
                      X