Musicians you really have no feelings about one way or the other

myshkin

• Members

Originally posted by the stranger

I think Ted's right. Everybody in here could elicit a comment. I'll juts say that Willie rules! My momma said if I don't have anything nice to say...plus I already filled my quota today.
:D

Ah but that's the point. Musicians you feel utterly neutral about. Maybe if I start listening to Willie I'd get into him but as yet....

• Members

Precisely! One can be quite "good", and you feel neutral about them. You don't really like their music, but it doesn't send you scrambling for the john, either. I hear a good bit of stuff, even on the radio stations I like, that I'm neutral about. Not bad enough to be a dial turner, not good enough to be catchy.

For me, usually, it's not about an artist, as much as it is about a given song. There are a lot of (since we're talking about Clapton) Clapton's songs that I really like. A few that I don't care for, and quite a few that they're just "okay"...(shrug).

• Members

Phish.

I realize I'm going against my entire generation of psuedo-hippie-we-were-born-20-years-too-late-to-be-Deadheads-so-we-followed-these-guys-around-instead peers, but I'm just so "eh" about them. To me, most of their writing kinda sounded like a bunch of theoretically good musicians got together and just kinda went "uuuuuuhhhhh?" for nine and a half minutes at a time.

Which is pretty much my only feelings towards them. "Uuuuhhhh?"

• Members

Crosby, Stills and Nash (I'm more pro- Neil Young than neutral). OK, you guys certainly do harmonize well. So do a lot of groups. What else you got?

Branwyn's choice made me think of this:

The Grateful Dead. Yes, I saw them live (August 1980). I just never got it, whatever "it" was.

• Members

+1 on Phish - don't hate 'em, but don't see what all the fuss is about either. (and I'm one of your 20-something peers)

I'll extend that to jam bands in general. It's not awful stuff on the whole, but just doesn't do it for me.

Hmmmm....others....how 'bout Jonny Lang, Derek Trucks, Kenney Wayne Shepard, and company. I recognize that they're all very good, but I'm just not feeling it.

• Members

Originally posted by MarkZ

... The Grateful Dead. Yes, I saw them live (August 1980). I just never got it, whatever "it" was.

Same here, and I will add one that might get me into trouble. Bruce Springstein. Maybe it is because I never saw him live. The closest I ever got to seeing Bruce was the Grammies the other night. That did NOT improve my view of his music. He's OK. We played his songs. Just never got the craze.

• Members

The Grateful Dead. Yes, I saw them live (August 1980). I just never got it, whatever "it" was.

Joke I heard once:

Q: What did one Deadhead say to the other when they ran out of dope?

A: Man, this music really sucks, dude...

• Members

Which gig is worse, Grateful Dead keyboardist or Spinal Tap drummer? Discuss.

When I heard that Bruce Hornsby (who I like a lot) was sitting in the keyboard chair for several Dead dates, I screamed "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" I was shocked that Vince Welnick got out of there alive.

• Members

Richard Clayderman and Esteban and pretty much any 'musician' who has their own long play ad on TV.

There have been times when Clapton, the Dead and Phish and some of the others have moved me. There are other times when the overall feeling is that they were making the record just to finish the contract.

There was a time when the Cure and Depeche Mode first were putting out records. All my friends were way into them and I just kinda scratched my head. Still do. And Leonard Cohen should just go ahead and take the Prozac and teach English somewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Joke I heard once:

Q: What did one Deadhead say to the other when they ran out of dope?

A: Man, this music really
sucks
, dude...

Haven't really heard anything like enough to know if that's fair or not but LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by Frantag

Richard Clayderman and Esteban and pretty much any 'musician' who has their own long play ad on TV.

There have been times when Clapton, the Dead and Phish and some of the others have moved me. There are other times when the overall feeling is that they were making the record just to finish the contract.

There was a time when the Cure and Depeche Mode first were putting out records. All my friends were way into them and I just kinda scratched my head. Still do. And Leonard Cohen should just go ahead and take the Prozac and teach English somewhere.

Not a Cure obsessive but some things like Plainsong off Disentigration are amongst the most moving great pieces of music I've heard.

• Members

Crosby, Stills and Nash (I'm more pro- Neil Young than neutral). OK, you guys certainly do harmonize well. So do a lot of groups. What else you got?

Branwyn's choice made me think of this:

I've heard some great CSNY material but feel a bit repelled by the kind of feeling we're sposed to get all emotional at the beautiful harmony stuff. Kind of like the Press the Heartwarming Beautiful button has triggered the desired audience response. I hate being dictated to.

• Members

Put me down for Eric Clapton. I don't dislike any of his stuff, but it's rare that I'll go out of my way to hear it. His guitar playing is nothing special either. I don't see what the big deal is.

I hear ya on the Grateful Dead. People just get so into them, but I never 'got it' either. Two drummers, and they still can't hold down a solid beat?:confused:

HOWEVER,

I have the double CD set of the Jerry Garcia Band Live, and I think it is amazing.

Jerry's rambling guitar playing works perfectly. He goes everywhere, and stumbles onto some really cool stuff.

Drums and bass are solid. The drummer is quite good, in fact.

Jerry's rough voice works great with the black female backup singers.

The guy on the B3 will make a faithless man believe. Just incredible. Most evocative B3 I've ever heard.

If you can't get into the Dead, but you want to experience that folky, rock, psychodelic jam band thing, check this out, I promise you won't be disappointed

• Members

Originally posted by myshkin

I've heard some great CSNY material but feel a bit repelled by the kind of feeling we're sposed to get all emotional at the beautiful harmony stuff. Kind of like the Press the Heartwarming Beautiful button has triggered the desired audience response. I hate being dictated to.

I think the same can be said about anything...

Press the Heartwarming Beautiful button

Press the {censored}kickin' Pickup Truck button

Press the "Crah in yore beer" button

Press the "Ain't Nobody's Gonna Beat My Car" button

Press the My N!99@$ Gonna Bust a Cap in Yo Ass button

Press the Cookie Monster Mosh button

Press the Angry Socially Conscious Protest button

Point being, music is about pushing people's buttons. That's what it's designed to do. Music is successful if it pushes buttons, in either a positive or negative way, if it achieves the effect desired of it's author...

Archived