Paging Blackpig, Branwyn, Myshkin...

Tedster

• Members

And anyone else...

Possibility of doing a big St. Patrick's Day party. I figured we oughta learn at least a couple of Celtic sort of standards. The possibility (somewhat remote but not impossible) exists that we might have a fiddle player for the gig, or at least part of the gig.

I need a couple of tune suggestions that would work well with female lead vocal, male harmony vocal, acoustic guitar, and possibly fiddle.

I'm not planning on learning a whole night...just a couple/few tunes. Something that I could download on iTunes to learn, y'know...a familiar version, anyway...

• Members

Out of the songs in the book Boosh found, the Cobbler's Daughter would be about the best for female vocals. There is a version by Toraigh on iTunes. The Death Of Queen Jane is a fairly gruesome dirge and isn't exactly party material. I havn't heard of the rest of the songs. Of the tunes you can't go wrong with Caliope House (written by one of the Boys Of The Lough if I'm not mistaken) and the Tune For A Found Harmonium is a fun piece written by Steven Jeffes of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra. There is a version of this tune played on the accordion on Sharon Shannon's first album. It's played as a medley with a tune called Retour Des Hirondells at the start. Eddi Reader's Live In Newcastle has a version of Tune For A Found Harmonium played on solo guitar. The nicest version of the lot IMHO.

:thu:

• Members

Misty Moisty Morning is a fun one. This is done as a lead female, male duet. It'll be good if you can get the fiddler for this one. This version is performed by Great Big Sea & the Barra MacNeills, was never sold anywhere/released/etc., so we're legal. I've got the chords at home, I can post them tomorrow if you want.

Johnny Jump Up is a fun, really well known trad song. Gaelic Storm does a great version that should be availabe on iTunes.

There's always Wild Rover if you want to incite a riot among any trad musicians in the audience. :p Though considering your purposes and location, alot of the audience may actually go for it.

I'll post more as I rummage through my collection.

• Members

Wild Rover,......... played that one a lot of times,.....

Everyone slamming on the bar when the tat tat tat tat part comes in,........

The Pogues is good,..........

If I should fall from the face of God where no doctor can relief me,.....

I've them live for about 5 minutes,.... singer walked up on stage,....stared into the crowd for a few minutes and collapsed and was brought to hospital,.....

Man he could have smashed all his teath out with that fall,...

Or couldn't he?

:D

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

Wild Rover,......... played that one a lot of times,.....

Everyone slamming on the bar when the tat tat tat tat part comes in,........

Aye, I think we've all played that one alot of times. Don't ask Blackpig, he may eat your head. :p

When we sang it at the NY Renaissance Faire, instead of just clapping your hands at that bit, everyone would yell "HIKE UP YER SKIRTS!" :D

• Members

I used to change the words a bit:

"I'll go home to my parents, confess what I've done,

"And I'll ask them to pardon their prodigal son,

"And when they molest me as oft times before" etc.

Another good one to play around with the words is a song called Biddy Mulligan:

"I have a son Mick and he plays on the flute,

"He belongs to the Longford Street Band,

"T'would do your heart proud for to see him march out,

"As they march along Dollymount Strand."

The last line as I sing it is

"With his dirty great flute in his hand".

I'm playing in Dublin with Na Cassaidigh on Thursday night. These guys play stuff we used to learn going to school. Great fun indeed when I get to augment their numbers because I always bring along my Strat just to keep the music civilised.

http://www.thecassidys.com/

• Members

HA! :thu: I confess I've heard the "molest me as oft times before" bit...and it's still funny, every time.

Tedster, we traditionalists like our songs dirty. ;):p If you all get drunk enough by the end of the night, have the girl sing "Roll Me Over In the Clover":

"we've done it once or twice and we've found it rather nice

roll me over, lay me down and do it again

roll me over in the clover

roll me over lay me down and do it again

(insert the "roll me over" chorus after each number)

Oh this is number one

And the fun has just begun

Oh this is number two,

Down in front he's comin through

Oh this is number three

And his hand is on me knee

Oh this is number four

And he's been there twice before

Oh this is number five

I'm surprised I'm still alive

Etc, Etc. :p

Tedster, though it's about a Scotsman, another funny dirty little number we used to sing at the ren faire is this one. It's about a drunken Scot and 2 lasses curious about the "traditional" wearing of the kilt. :p

Archived