Musician.com...a serious site?

Tedster

• Members

Serious music is actually a genre - it's what most people refer to as classical music.

In other words, in classical music circles, musicians refer to their music as "serious music" and to themselves as, you guessed it - "serious musicians."

I wonder if musician.com forces its buyers to sign an agreement that their purchases must be used for serious music. If so, Beethoven would be proud!

m_logo_2.gif

Best,

Geoff

I just got into there... and a BIG ad of a M-Audio's Black Box welcomes visitors.

I agree, the Black Box is a SERIOUS tool for SERIOUS purposes, but behaving "serious" with the BBox is not the main intention of the product... :cool: ... OTOH they also have a "DJ" section, so...

... I guess the site is not THAT serious about being for serious musicians only :D

• Members

I think he was kidding, B'lips... ;)

Seriously. (Tedster puts on serious face).

Craig, we need a "serious" smiley. But then you couldn't call it a "smiley", because then it wouldn't be serious enough. You could call it a "seriously".

Seriously.

• Members

Yeah, I was taught "serious music," not "classical," as "classical" refers to one particular era of "serious music," but I just can't do it; I can't distinguish any genre as "serious." So I stick with "classical" even though I know it's boorish to do so.

• Members

I thought that the Joe Walsh album "But seriously folks" clarified that all Rock music is really serious..... Except, of course, for Wierd Al's records..

And another thing:

I pay serious money for my gear.

In exchange, I expect to get serious gear from a serious site.

Im really serious about that.

BTW - I think:

Steven Wright is seriously funny.

Some equipment is seriously f*&ked up.

This entire thread is seriously defective.

So how in the world do you factor all that in??

I mean... lets get serious.

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel:

Yeah, I was taught "serious music," not "classical," as "classical" refers to one particular era of "serious music," but I just can't do it; I can't distinguish any genre as "serious."

+1

Agreed, on both accounts.

Seriously - all styles of music have their serious sides, so it's silly to label a particular genre as serious; and classical music, for that matter, has its light side as well.

Lee and Ted were right though, in that my post wasn't meant to be taken seriously, even though it contained a grain of truth.

After all, the notion of serious music is kind of funny. Especially when taking into consideration that the words "amusing" and "music" both stem from the same root ("muse"), the term "serious music" then becomes something of an oxymoron!

For what it's worth, I've spent a significant chunk of my musical life within classical music circles. While I've met a few pretentious classical musicians, I've known many more who are modest and down to earth. I guess that could be said about the participants of any style of music. ;)

I'mOKYou'reOK.gif

Best,

Geoff

• Members

the following is some serious stuff......

Yeah, yeah yeah yeah

Boogie down, boogie down

You gotta get serious

What, what c'mon

Perplexin' as I wrecks the decks

So checks the flex my potential sex

I bring the funk to your necks check it

Second time around, better than the first

I quench your thirst, my rhymes'll fill ya till ya burst

Get serious, cause what we're gonna do for you

You know it's true we gotta second album coming through

Too many people thought we couldn't go on