Les Paul, the man

Scott E.

• Members

Good News - Les Paul is back to work! The one and only Les Paul is out of the hospital and back on the job!

Here's some happy news from the greatest city on earth, and another fantastic reason to thank the Lord today... also, a lot of good info for all of us who are concerned about the health of #1, Mr. Les Paul.

I didn't write any of it... but, it's news and helpful to many of us... really a press release straight from the web... I can only add:

Get to NYC and see the one and only Les Paul. There isn't anybody on this site who doesn't owe this great man, or who wouldn't have a night they'll remember for the rest of their lives.

The sign at his old club used to proclaim:

The Les Paul Trio... Come In and Hear the Truth... Every Monday Night.

His digs now are much roomier and nicer, a fantastic room, and for the last few years, the only place to be on Monday night is:

IRIDIUM JAZZ CLUB 1650 BROADWAY (Corner of 51st) NEW YORK, NY 10023 RESERVATIONS: 212-582-2121

www.iridiumjazzclub.com Sets at 8 & 10PM

GUITAR PIONEER LES PAUL RETURNS MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20TH

After a brief illness guitar pioneer and music legend Les Paul returns to his regular Monday night home at The Iridium Jazz Club Monday night February 20th.

Les will be taking the stage with his regular working band, Lou Pallo-guitar, (subbing this Monday will be Frank Vignola) Nicky Parrott-bass, and John Colliani-piano for two sets at 8:00 and 10:00 PM.

The 90 year old Les Paul who just won two Grammy's at this year's awards was also celebrated with a gala concert in his honor by music stars Merle Haggard, Alison Krauss, Steve Lukather, Joe Perry, Joe Satriani, Neal Schon, Shayna Steele, Buddy Guy, and Edgar Winter.

Les Paul, the father of the electric guitar, was born June 9, 1915, in Waukesha, WI. The five-time Grammy Award winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer is the inventor of the solid body electric guitar and the pioneer of multi-track recording, the use of reverb and other now-standard recording techniques. Paul is being honored throughout his 90th year with an array of new product releases, honors and awards fit for the father of the electric guitar.

In addition to Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played, Capitol/EMI released Les Paul with Mary Ford: The Best of The Capitol Masters (90th Birthday Edition), a collection of Paul's finest Capitol recordings, with new artwork, bonus tracks and a package essay written by Paul himself.

Last May, Paul was inducted into the National Inventors' Hall Of Fame at the Hall's Akron, OH headquarters. On June 9, the evening of Paul's 90th birthday, he was honored with the Songwriters' Hall Of Fame Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award. On June 19, an all-star group of guitarists took the Carnegie Hall stage for

• Members

That's great to hear!

You know, one thing that often gets overshadowed by the "Paul" guitar, is Les' contributions to audio engineering.

Multitrack came to a reality through this man.

What would I do with all of my spare time if it weren't for him?

- Sean

• Members

He is really an inspiration.

I heard a brief recording clip of one of those shows, from the audience (I think it was in an NPR feature on Paul) and he sounded really good... more relaxed than back in the day -- but really smooth and thoughtful.

Of course, you know that anyone who -- faced with a massively broken arm that won't ever bend at the elbow again -- has them set the arm at the precise angle for playing guitar is some kind of dedicated guy...

An inspiration.

• Members

WOW ... Les Paul and I share the same birthday, how cool is that.

I saw "The Log" at the Country Music Hall of Fame a few years back. It just took my breath away when I saw it, as I didn't know it was just around the next corner. It's not there any more .. I wonder where it's at ???

Way to go Les

Russ

• Members

I know I may just be a cat, but I met the guy at an AES meeting. Yes, they let do cats into AES. I think I've seen a few dogs there as well.

Meeting him was great, not that we really talked about much, but it's cool to see a real live human being who matches up to the legend his name has become. You think to yourself, you mean there's this skinny old guy who is Les Paul? It's such a familiar name, and his accomplishments changed music, and here's this guy who is that guy. How wierd is that?

Archived