Curt Gowdy R.I.P.

Geoff Grace

• Members

You know, as a kid I was too much into allegiance and antipathy. If I chose to be pro-Munsters, for some reason I had to be anti-Addams Family. If I chose to be pro I Dream of Jeannie, I had to be anti-Bewitched. Pro-Abbott and Costello, anti-Laurel and Hardy and so on (and looking back over this list, it seems I made the worng choice about 100% of the time)

In any case, Gowdy was an NBC/AFC football guy, and I was a fiercely loyal CBS/NFC guy. Summerall and Brookshire were my boys in the booth, so I sorta hated Gowdy as a kid, which was stupid. That's kinda my...point...I guess. Gowdy was great.

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

Probably the best baseball play by play announcer ever.

No offense meant to Jack Buck, Harry Caray, Vin Scully or Jerry Coleman but Gowdy's smooth telling of the game put you in it more than any of the others.

He was good, but no way he is remotely in the same league as Vin Scully. Just no one is even close, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

He was good, but no way he is remotely in the same league as Vin Scully. Just no one is even close, IMO.

That's your opinion, I made mine and I'm sticking to it.

The quickest way to get me to go to sleep listening to a ballgame on the radio is to have Vin Scully or Ross Porter do the play by play.

Archived