Myspace player help needed

Jeff Leites

• Members

By and large, you're lucky.

Not that there aren't some fine bands who have pages on myspace.

But they give the option to bands of having their music auto-play whenever someone visits their page.

Which is MIGHTILY ANNOYING if you're already listening to music or recording a radio stream via an analog recorder (analog to stay legal, of course, under the MCA) or just don't want to be bothered.

ANYHOW...

I'm thinking the most likely scenario is that neither of you has Flash enabled. And that's very typical of corporate computers (or should be... then again, Macromedia keeps trying to tell me that people actually design business user interfaces in Flash... huh... how insane would they have to be? Yeah... regular IDEs are too logical and intuitive... I wanna use an IDE that DEFIES LOGIC at all opportunities. If I wanted that, I already have the fine dev products of Bill Gates & co) anyhow... where was I...

Oh, yeah.

Flash.

Are you able to run any Flash content?

(I'd tell you how to turn it on but your IT guy would have to kill me.)

This cracks me up. I had to come back here to post about it.

I was just visiting the soundclick page of this gallic trip hop guy named Lord Bugs. He has a premium page (which allows the artist to embed sound on his home page, his message board, and maybe other pages, too.)

Anyhow I go to the front page (SC band pages don't have any music play links, there's a separate music page), and click his music page open in a new window and hit the Play All button. So that starts up.

Then I go to his messages page... all of a sudden the nice, sleek trip hop that had been playing is turing into a trainwreck mashup ot out of tune, out of temp elements... and I realize there's music embedded on the message board page. I close it. There are still two music sources and I realize (well, duh, at this point) that the front page has embedded music, too...

Sheesh.

Cool music, though: Lord Bugs Kind of an unselfconscious mix of blues, rock and synth-cabaret elements. Very continental.

• Members

I'm an IT guy too, just "old school" (COBOL) :D

I didn't think flash was disabled, because we had an in-house class last week on how to do dynamic web pages and stuff like that, and the young wipper-snapper that was teaching us, kind of promoted Flash (as well as java, java scripts, asp, php, and a bunch of other crap I don't care about cause I'm retiring next month :D ) . Any who - I just went to ask him about it, and he said he thinks NBC has the same kind of player, and it doesn't work here either. He thinks that the port that handles that player is blocked by our firewall. I could go talk to our security guy, but I wouldn't feel right about it, since I've already slacked off so much.

• Members

Man... I took my first programming class back in 1973 (I only took two and they were essentially the same one 7 years apart and not much had changed except instead of 2 weeks of COBOL at the end of a semester of Fortran IV, in 1980 it was 2 weeks of Cobol followed by a week of Basic [i refuse to cap "Basic" -- real acronyms don't start off as words, y'know?]) ...

Anyhow, 1973.

And COBOL felt creaky then...

:D;):D

I can't imagine how nice it would be to have one language, basically unchanging for the major part of a career. To have a chance to actually know it, understand its design philosophy.

I never step in the same damn language twice. Web apps I write have four different languages in a single file, interwoven scripting like a drunk teenager in rushour traffic.

I remember when I used to prize elegance and coherence...!

Ha... those were the good ol' days.

• Members

I've used COBOL since around 1972, but for 2 years before that I worked on a 2nd generation Burroughs B-300 using an assembly language called Advanced Assembler. We debuged at the console by single stepping the computer through each instruction, and inturpreting the contents of memory from the pattern of NE-2 neon lights! Then tested fixes on the fly by entering new machine lanuage code from the console. Of course with a big 8k of RAM, the programs weren't that big.

Since those fun days, I've programmed mainframe DOS Cobol, MVS Cobol, RM Cobol for UNIX, Dec machines, and PC's, and COBOL/400 for the AS/400.

But if you think Cobol is dead, check out http://www.adtools.com/

object oriented .net Cobol for the .net framework.

Archived