Brilliant underachievers

nat whilk II

• Members

The appreciation thread on Nilsson got me thinking that I'd hoist up this flag: who do you consider a brilliant, gifted musician that was an underachiever? And maybe a guess as to why, with so much talent, they just didn't have much output?

My list includes:

Nilsson, of course. I have no idea why was/is IMHO an underachiever.

Emmitt Rhodes. What a songwriter. Seems to be one of the guys that just gets burned out early on the music business.

Thomas Dolby. Forget "Science". It's a good tune, but his brilliance is more evident on all those other tracks that didn't make 80s radio or MTV. He discusses why he stopped touring on his website - the simple bad economics of trying to tour when the record company is not supporting you. Ok, I can understand that. But throw us something now and then, TD, you are really too good to just drop out of the scene altogether.

Rocky Erickson. LSD - too much of it. And schizophrenia.

John Sebastian. He was a genius for about 4 years with the Lovin' Spoonful, then had a flash of visibility from Woodstock and the related album, but except for the blip of "Welcome Back", he most turned to just working the college/folk/coffeehouse circuit in the northeast.

He tells a great story about lack of record company support: around '74, when the warm fuzzies of the hippie era were starting to fade, and his career was clearly starting to languish. He says, "Warner Bros. was not that interested in me at this point. It wasn't as if they were saying, "John, hurry up and go into the studio and use up more of our money". In fact, I've often told this story about the time I went to the record company, and walked in to the front office where the secretary was sitting, and behind her, there was a huge picture of Alice Cooper, a big poster about six feet by three and a half or four feet, and it was really at that point that I was kind of reminded that this might be a really hard time to be John Sebastian."

nat whilk ii

• Members

Well, referencing a recent thread of my own starting, what do you think about Robbie Roberston in this light? So, so very great for a relatively short spell.

Roberston, then, would be more like the J.D.Salingerof rock. His genius is well nigh indispitable, which invests his silence with a sense of intention: there must be a damn good reason he wasn't out there being Robbie Roberstson all the time.

• Members

But, now John Sebastian is hawking "150 greatest hits of the folk era" for Time/Life records on the late night infomercials...

I will say that folky/acoustic stuff is NOT the thing to get into if you want to be rich and famous and sell a godzillion records. What it is, however, is timeless. There will always be an audience for it, unlike, say, 80s synth-pop bands, or hair-metal bands. It will never really go out of fashion, because it was never really in-fashion to begin with... :D And, since it can be just as believable whether sung by a drop dead handsome teenager, or an old coot like me, the "star appeal" thing goes out the window, and basically, it's just up to the talent of the performer.

• Moderators

Edgar Winter.

I loved his stuff.

Entrance

White Trash

White Trash Road Work

They Only Come Out At Night

Shock Treatment

then...

Whenever I'd see him live he was amazing in one respect. Musicianship. His taste, however, seemed to slip. He lost that insight into what was cool. Not trendy cool, but Hendrix, Miles, Waits cool. Just gone...

???

I don't know why. Not to say that his output mentioned above is the output of an underachiever but it just sort of... stopped.

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Well, referencing a recent thread of my own starting, what do you think about Robbie Roberston in this light? So, so very great for a relatively short spell.

Roberston, then, would be more like the J.D.Salingerof rock. His genius is well nigh indispitable, which invests his silence with a sense of intention: there must be a damn good reason he wasn't out there being Robbie Roberstson all the time.

Yeah, another great talent for a spell. Maybe what goes on a lot of time is simply chemistry - ie, someone with a streak of genius finds the right band at the right time and streaks into the sky like a shooting star. Then, under the all-too-familiar pressures of success, the band breaks up and the "streak of genius" guy/girl never finds the chemistry again quite like the glory days.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

Yeah, another great talent for a spell. Maybe what goes on a lot of time is simply chemistry - ie, someone with a streak of genius finds the right band at the right time and streaks into the sky like a shooting star. Then, under the all-too-familiar pressures of success, the band breaks up and the "streak of genius" guy/girl never finds the chemistry again quite like the glory days.

nat whilk ii

No, that's wrong on Robbie Robertson. His output may have slowed, but the music he has made since the end of the Band is brilliant stuff.

Perhaps an unwillingness to compromise slows down the completion rate.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Billster

No, that's wrong on Robbie Robertson. His output may have slowed, but the music he has made since the end of the Band is brilliant stuff.

Perhaps an unwillingness to compromise slows down the completion rate.

:thu: I agree. I love his solo stuff... amazing.

• Members

Ok, maybe it's time I looked up ol' Robbie on Amazon...

I did buy the self-titled release that starts with Fallen Angel - it's very good, but over time it doesn't seem as unique and vibe-ful as the Band material, at least to me.

But I'm not very familiar with the other 2-3 releases since then...I'll check'em out.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Syd Barrett, drugs and mental problems.

Rossini, if I remember correctly, had some early brilliance, then rested on his laurels for years and years.

I think many groups qualify, where the sum of the parts was better than the individuals: The Beatles, Supertramp, The Police, Cream, ...

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

I will say that folky/acoustic stuff is NOT the thing to get into if you want to be rich and famous and sell a godzillion records. What it
is
, however, is
timeless
. There will always be an audience for it, unlike, say, 80s synth-pop bands, or hair-metal bands. It will never really go out of fashion, because it was never really
in
-fashion to begin with...
:D
And, since it can be just as believable whether sung by a drop dead handsome teenager, or an old coot like me, the "star appeal" thing goes out the window, and basically, it's just up to the talent of the performer.

I wish I'd said that.

:thu:

• Members

I see many people mentioned in this thread who have done GREAT stuff. I guess that covers the brilliant part, but underachievers ? I never knew any underachievers who did so much great stuff. Robbie Robertson worked his ass off for years. Aimee Mann has as well. These are people who have dug deep within themselves over and over. Hardly underachievers.

Eric Carmen - Rasberries: Please Go All the Way

Reminds me of one of my closet favorite songs.

You're Just Too Good to be True by Frankie Valle.

• Members

That first Robbie Robertson solo album, produced by Daniel Lanois, is a gem.:thu:

Agreed about Aimee Mann, nursers. Husband Michael Penn is another. "No Myth" was a nicely crafted hit.

Julia Fordham. "Porcelain" is such a great album. She should be have been big.

Jeff Buckley. If he had lived, would he have another "Grace" in him?

Japan, one of the '80s more interesting groups. Highly influential bassist Mick Karn and singer David Sylvain underachieved in solo careers.

Was (Not Was). OK, maybe not "brilliant" but a ton of fun and well produced. I still like "Spy in the House of Love" enough to forgive "Walk The Dinosaur".

• Members

Originally posted by jackcheez

I see many people mentioned in this thread who have done GREAT stuff. I guess that covers the brilliant part, but underachievers ? I never knew any underachievers who did so much great stuff. Robbie Robertson worked his ass off for years. Aimee Mann has as well. These are people who have dug deep within themselves over and over. Hardly underachievers.

I agree. I suppose I started the thread thinking about people who either seemed to fall short of their promise either due to personal issues or to bad breaks/treatment from the music industry. There is no end of underappreciated, undercompensated, hard workers in the music business. I don't call those people underachievers - it would be a very unfair tag.

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

And a lot of people who we think haven't done anything just moved into less public areas.

Case in point...

I once saw a solo performer in the 70's open for John Sebastian. His name was David Pomeranz. You may have heard his song "It's In Everyone One of Us". When I first saw this thread, I thought of him. He absolutely killed me at that show years ago, I bought his "LP". Just great. Then I never heard anything from him again with the exception of them using the above mentioned tune in the movie BIG. He disappeared.

But he didn't. I Googled him up and low and behold he's doing Broadway shows and wrote many pop hits for others in the 80's. Frickin' Broadway! That's not underachieving.

Who knew?

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Whoa... a relatively short spell?

A relatively short spell?

Mid-60s through the mid-late70's with the Band is hardly a short spell. And, while he's not prolific as a solo, he's put out interesting, well-respected albums that haven't mindlessly traded on his past, like so many of his contemporaries.

I dunno about that one...

• Members

along the lines of Lee's Pomeranz example, Robertson also supervised the soundtracks and did incidental music for a number of movies for Scorsese and others.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0005371/

A lot of "underacheivers" have probably done better on their publishing than on their recording. Even artists like Joni Mitchell have indicated a willingness to walk away from recording.

• Members

Originally posted by MarkZ

Jeff Buckley. If he had lived, would he have another "Grace" in him?

I think he would have put out something better than "Grace" had he continued. I don't think the guy had come near peaking creatively yet. Anyway, good choice for this thread!!!

Archived