Using a computer without a monitor...

Magpel

• Members

Is there anyway to set up Windows so that not only a specified program but a specific file in that program upons automatically on boot up?

I'm having the silly idea of taking my old Dell PIII 600 to gigs as a dedicated piano module. I thought it would be awesome if I didn't even have to bring a monitor; just boot it up and Gigasampler, with the gigapiano loaded on channel one, automatically opens?

The most obvious weakness with this plan is, like, what do you do if something goes wrong? Please tell me the many other ways in which this must be a stupid or impossible idea...

• Members

I stole this from a thread on the windows forum. 3 or 4 pages back.

Originally posted by morder

If you use windows XP, right-click your desktop, select properties, click the screen saver tab, click the power...-button, click the advanced tab, and you should be able to choose what happens when the power button is pressed.

That's it -- that's really *the* answer. I set up a P3 box to run B4, with 128 MB of RAM. Voce MIDI drawbars as controller. Never had it fail yet. No monitor, no nothing. XP is plenty customizable for these simple tasks.

• Members

Ummm, you'd need a monitor to set this up but as I do with gigastudio, I dragged my GS3.exe file to Start/Programs/Startup.

Done

GS3 starts with windows, some guys have it that GS3 waits till all drivers are loaded before it boots.

Then all you do is setup your untitled to boot what you want.

Really straight forward!

Once setup unplug the monitor mouse and keyboard.

Hmm sorry it's been a while but I was able to get windows to not look for those but I forget now, of course I'd have to hook my monitor up to see.

Later

:p

• Members

Very interesting, daklander. I wonder if there's a way to configureit to open a specific file. Currently, I have '98 on the machine in question. While I could certainly install XP, I believe that my version of Gigasampler (64, the old one) will probably not run on XP.

(if you haven't already guessed, this whole thread is in the spirit of: how can I do this without dropping a dime?)

• Members

I'm sorry I don't have the details but I have on at least one occasion read how to set up Windows to not load the Explorer but load a single app, instead. So, accidentally hitting the Windows key or some magic keystroke chord theoretically wouldn't have the ability to commandeer the apps place in the sun, power off at an awkward time, etc. (And, of course, you'd be cutting down on the resources used, too, to a fair extent.)

A little artful googling should eventually turn up similar instructions...

• Members

This link may give you some idea....

There really should be no problem with booting without the monitor or mouse. You should be able to turn off plug & play. Looking at that page it mentions turning off all but one power monitoring system.

As far as booting a program I'm sure that can be accomplished via a com or exe script in autoexec.bat, or, maybe config.sys though I think the autoexec.bat file is where to go with it.

Archived