Where do you go for gear reviews?

• Members

I'm in the market for a new bass rig. I've tried a few out, and plan to try more out throughout the week... obviously, I want to do my homework before I shell out $1000+ so I don't end up in the Hartke nightmare that I'm currently in.

I'm not asking for anybody's opinions on the specific gear I'm looking at, I just want to know some good places to read reviews. Anyone?

• Members

I tend to prefer user reviews to magazine reviews, but only if both the user review community as well as the particular product reviews have reached a kind of critical mass. The aggregate ratings are easilly skewed and don't mean much unless the number of reviews is very high. But the written reviews are self qualifying; if they're well defended, good or bad, you know to lend them a bit more cred. If they're short, insubstantial, and emotional, make the appropriate adjustments.

Plus you also know to lend extra credence to reviewers with whom you have some affinities: musical styles and influences, intended uses, overall rigs, etc. The User Review database here at HC is still, IMO, the best thing about the site. ;)

• Members

Ok... I checked the user reviews here, but I can't find the exact model I'm looking for. SOS didn't seem to have anything close to what I was looking for.

Any other good spots?

I've already played through them. What I really want to know about is how well they hold up over time and any common problems, etc.

• Members

Tell us more about your Hartke nightmare, and what you're looking for. What kind of gigging are you doing? Fridge or a more compact rig?

A Boogie tube head (carry extra tubes) and a JBL E-140 in a deep cab will never let you down. Playing bigger rooms? Just get another cab.

• Members

My Hartke nightmare isn't really a nightmare, I just didn't do much (any) shopping around before I bought it 6 or 7 years ago and I'm just plain unhappy with the sound.... or maybe the sound I'm looking for has evolved. Who knows.

What I DO know is that I found the sound in a Fender Bassman 250 (head, not combo), 4x10 and 1x15. Switching the two cabs between series and parallel gave two distinctly different, yet equally enjoyable tones. The simplistic, yet very functional front panel makes me happy. And a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now 'cause it's 7am and I just called in sick.

I played through an Ampeg SVT-IIIPro, 4x10, and 1x15 as well... For double the price of the Fender, I was not impressed. The two cabinets sounded like two different basses... there was an unhappy dissonance. WAY too many knobs for me, and the midrange was lacking.

I played through a couple tube amps (including a Boogie combo) and decided that I truly am a solid state fan... besides, I have an Ibanez Tube Screamer if I want to slightly overdrive it.

My band's lead guitarist's "gear guy" has a Peavey, another Ampeg rig, and a GK rig set up for me to try out whenever I can get over there (that store's about an hour away). So, I'm keeping an open mind.

I'm really sold on the Fender, though... Does anyone have any Fender stories? Do they last forever? I don't want to be unhappy in a year.

• Members

This might be completely inappropriate for what you are looking for. After all, it's absurdly tiny. But I'll just throw it out there...

I purchased a Roland Bass Cube 30 (I think it's called) in December for my studio. It does 8 physical models of various bass amps, has surprisingly musical compression, a direct out for recording that sounds surprisingly good, and a full-range speaker for keyboards.

I could not be happier with this thing.

I just did several bass sessions in which this guy brought in a Fender (I'm not badmouthing Fender - this amp was kinda thrashed), and we recorded several takes of this (AT4060 through a Neve Portico). Somewhat dissatisfied with the sound, we then took his bass, Fender Precision, through the Roland, going in direct. He was so pleased with the sound he was getting that he immediately switched. The guitarist came in and said, "Whatever you did to the bass, it sounds so much better."

So I put this out there for whatever it's worth. While it is surprisingly loud for a little tiny amp, it may not push enough air for you. Some people claim that they successfully use it at rehearsal and small gigs. I've never done that. But I do know that I absolutely love this thing for the recording studio.

Archived