Chappelle's Block Party

dahkter

• Members

Both their sets were nice. It was funny 'cause while Erykah was performing, they were cutting to Jill backstage and she was saying how much she loved her spirit and such. Then somebody asked her if she was nervous about going on after her and, in so many words, Jill said, "I guess you haven't seen me perform." I got a kick out of that. There's a nice surprise involving those two, too. ;)

Peace

• Members

I found myself smiling a lot through this movie, Dave really did a great job. The cinematography was great too (same director as "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind"). Seeing Brooklyn on film is a good thing IMO.

Musically, the band was great, nice to hear non-sequenced, straight live music. I also was floored by the strength of Mos Def "Umi Says". That is a powerful song, and his singing voice is much underrated. He was surprisingly nice on the drums too.

So yeah, I wanted to spread the love, even those who may think this is not there cup of tea should check it out, the quality of music is far superior to what most people think of when they hear the words "rap music". Definitely much better than anything you will hear in the mainstream media.

• Members

Originally posted by dahkter

the quality of music is far superior to what most people think of when they hear the words "rap music". Definitely much better than anything you will hear in the mainstream media.

Yes indeed my friend!

Anytime you include the band "The Roots" into any live production, the quality goes up by about 200%!! Very much looking forward to this!!!

• Members

Yes, it is certainly a "pill" for all those who think that if there's anybody "rapping" on a song, it's worthless dribble that is also devoid of music. Not only is there great music and great performances, but also it's a feel good film. A message without being preachy, and laughs without missing the point of it all. Unquestionably a labor of love.

Peace

• Members

Saw this puppy this weekend! GREAT concert movie!

The next Marvin Gaye....is actually a rapper named Mos Def!

The band was hella groovin, the rehearsal scene's were cool, and the Jill Scott/Erykah surprize was really cool....thanx for the headz up aliengroover!:thu:

OMG, there's such an aurra about Lauryn Hill it's so incredible to watch. That girl is so frikken talented it's just sic!

The Dead Presidents segment is controversial, ala Public Enemy etc, but the performance was very powerful!

Chappelle was at the top of his game and seemed to enjoy being on the midst of his fav artists and friends.

Much to recomend here!

Archived