Lee Flier, never use garlic powder!

• Members

Garlic powder works for one thing, in a big way: Dry rub for barbeque. Can't use fresh garlic in that.

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob

Lee Flier: do not use garlic powder unless you want everything to taste like snack chips! It's nasty; it obscures flavor, but does not enhance. Always use fresh garlic. How much? It's like money - you can't have too much!

• Members

I do use fresh garlic a lot. But I like garlic powder too. So sue me. I love garlic in pretty much any form. And most of the time I'm lucky to be cooking anything at all let alone peeling and mincing fresh garlic. Even though I have a garlic peeler thingy. Most of the time I'm just a lazy cook. Or I'll be in the middle of something and then realize I've forgotten to eat for hours and have to make something FAST cuz I'm feeling dizzy.

So I'm glad I like garlic powder. :p

• Members

how to quickly peel garlic:

- pop the individual clove off of the head of garlic

- put the flat end of your knife over the garlic

- give it a quick whack with butt of your hand

- the skin will fall right off, no peeling necessary

yup.

• Members

I do that with lamb and other meats quite often.

But doing a smoked dry rub pork or beef barbeque over the course of many hours is a very different thing. That coating of dried spices and brown sugar, occasionally mopped with beer, has a character all its own.

Not every dish is improved by adding the 'gourmet' touch.

Originally posted by cx04332

Instead of garlic rub, cut garlic into tiny slivers. Poke hole into meat with small knife. Insert sliver of garlic into hole. Repeat as needed.

Puts the flavor into the meat as opposed to on the meat.

• Members

Fresh is always better, but if you must use dried garlic, use actual powder (the one that has an almost 'flour' consistency) rather than the grainy type of powder which won't disolve and has a nasty flavor to it. Onion powder is a quick shortcut as well, though not for a lot of things.

• Members

For medicinal purposes dice the garlic very finely and let it sit for ten minutes before consuming. This allows the two enzymes that form allicin and the other active ingredients to fully mix. This mixing of enzymes is how garlic protects itself from insects, and animals that might try to eat it. When bitten into, the enzymes mix, and the sulfides formed, repel the attacker. The finer you dice the garlic the more sulfides are formed.

For cold, flu, or other infectious disease treatment, eat one or two cloves, finely diced, once a day for three days..... cures almost anything. I like to mix it with salsa.

• Members

Originally posted by Hanshananigan

If you need crushed/pureed/chopped garlic in a jar, my tip is to go to ASIAN FOOD STORES ! The selection is better and the price is 1/3 to 1/2 of your local grocery.

This is true, and there are about 97 billion Asian stores in my neighborhood, so I'm never hurtin' for garlic any way I want it.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

I do use fresh garlic a lot. But I like garlic powder too. So sue me. I love garlic in pretty much any form. And most of the time I'm lucky to be cooking anything at all let alone peeling and mincing fresh garlic. Even though I have a garlic peeler thingy. Most of the time I'm just a lazy cook. Or I'll be in the middle of something and then realize I've forgotten to eat for hours and have to make something FAST cuz I'm feeling dizzy.

So I'm glad I like garlic powder.
:p

If you're a lazy, garlic-loving cook in Atlanta, go to the Dekalb Farmer's Market on Ponce and buy just-baked bulbs of garlic in olive oil at the deli counter. You can squeeze the garlic out of the cloves like butter! You can't have too much of that wonderful stuff.

• Members

Ooh yeah, Dekalb Farmer's Market is the shiznit. However, since I live in an international neighborhood there are a bunch of other stores in the area that sell similar stuff and are closer.

Hanshy, we will have to hook up next time you guys are in Atlanta! Or better yet, just come over for our CD release show. ;)

• Members

I'd like to add, for maximum medicinal effect you should dice fresh garlic finely, let it sit for ten minutes, and use immediately without cooking or heating. There are compounds in fresh garlic that are destroyed by heat, and they also degrade after about an hour, so if you're using jarred, pre-diced, or capsules, or any other form of pre-prepared garlic you're not getting the full effect.

• Members

As usual, I find it just a little disturbing how much I tend to agree with Lee. How can one person be so damn reasonable?

In any case, she's right and everyone else is wrong.

:D

Just kidding, but even from a culinary point of view, I think there's a time and place for everything. Sometimes fresh is best, sometimes powder is best.

Solid state preamp? Tube preamp? What to use?

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)

There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)

And a time for every purpose, under Heaven

(-Pete Seeger)

-plb

• Members

Oh I agree, use whatever ya got, oar want to use for culinary use, but I was just trying to point out that garlic is a very potent, natural antibiotic and antiviral substance, which I don't think a lot of people realize, and there are ways to potentiate that use.

Don't get all caught up in Lee's logic, it's just a front.:D

• Members

Originally posted by TheWewus

Don't get all caught up in Lee's logic, it's just a front.
:D

I have heard that she is actually an MIT grad student's senior thesis computer program, and is currently running on a series of pimped-out VAX machines funded by the estate of Stanley Kubrick.

Even though I have my doubts about those VAX machines, even jerry-rigged with modern silicon, I'm a huge Kubrick fan so, I suppose, anything is possible.

-plb

• Members

I tell ya what, the first reported case of avian flu passing to a human in The U.S. I'm going to be eating raw garlic like it was candy, and running out in the streets screaming about the healing power of garlic, and going door to door giving it away, and saying I told you so, and you know dat's right. Don't try to stop me.

Archived