Dana Reeve...

• Members

That's quite a well-written post, BrittanyLips. Yes, it is indeed sad. I knew a published and very well-respected scientist for a health company, non-smoker, marathon runner, ate perfectly. And died of lung cancer way too young. Like maybe 40 years old.

Here's to Dana.

• Members

Very sad, indeed. All the more so because you can't help but feel that she deserved a time for herself and her children after having provided so much care and support for her husband for so long. Yet, she wasn't given that time, nor really enough time at all in this place. I am sad for her, and her family and friends.

RIP Dana.

--Mark

• Members
Originally posted by Brittanylips

Dana was a friend of mine. It is hard to express just how graceful, beautiful, and genuinely nice she was, not make-believe nice. Deep down, let me help you, nice-to-the-bone nice.

My condolences for your personal loss. I, for one, have shed some tears upon hearing the news, even though I never actually knew her. Long before Chris' accident, one could observe and listen to Dana Reeve and see not only physical beauty, but also the radiance of intelligence and strength, along with an independent, caring and fun-loving personality. She seemed to have little or no pretention, little or no pettiness, little or no self-absorption. She seemed the kind of "girl" many of us literally dream of finding. The complete package. In a single word, the very highest compliment I can give her is that she appeared to be totally "real".

Or, is it that everyone

• Members

Originally posted by EccentRick

Long before Chris' accident, one could observe and listen to Dana Reeve and see not only physical beauty, but also the radiance of intelligence and strength, along with an independent, caring and fun-loving personality. She seemed to have little or no pretention, little or no pettiness, little or no self-absorption. She seemed the kind of "girl" many of us literally dream of finding. The complete package. In a single word, the very highest compliment I can give her is that she appeared to be totally "real".

Dana was definately a "catch". Christopher got a good one! And you're so right about her. Despite every reason to be full of herself, she was unaffected, self-deprecating, comfortable in her own skin.

You know what's wierd - when you know someone as a regular, real person, and then you see them depicted by the media, it's bizarre the way they become larger than life.

Shortly after Christopher's accident, I was at a party, and was talking in a little group of people that had just kind of congregated the way people congregate at parties. One of the guys in the little group (an actor/singer) was talking about the accident, and criticizing Dana for exploiting it to advance her own carreer, to use the media attention his accident had attracted as a way to gain publicity for herself. No one made any comment, but I can still picture the expressions of some of the others in the group (diplomatically stifled) - how disgusted they were with the comment.

I don't know why, but I just remembered that...

Perhaps it's because when someone becomes a public figure, and you know that person, the disconnect always seems very strange. Here is this real, flesh and blood person who you know, and then there they are being eulogized by Maya Angelou on Larry King, or criticized by some pissy actor at a party, and it's just so strange.

Originally posted by EccentRick

Originally posted by blips
Maybe it

• Members

thanks wew.

I'll say one last thing and then I'll let it go...

The last time I saw her was at a party for a mutual friend. We were chatting blah blah blah. Her acting blah blah. My music blah blah. Family. Blah blah blah. We should get together blah blah. And then we never did.

Same with my other friend who recently died. We had made plans to get together, but put them off.

Both Dana and my other friend were in their early 40s; neither seemed the dying type, if you know what I mean.

So this is the moral of the story:

If there are people you cherish, people whose existence in this world makes your life that much more delightful, and you make plans to get together, follow through, damnit! Because, you know, they could die, and then that's that.

-Peace, Love, and Blips

• Members

First...

Allow me to express my heartfelt condolences. Often on this forum when we pay homage to a fallen celebrity, we express condolences, knowing full well that for the most part, those directly affected by it will never see it.

This is different. This changes the condolences from "tossing them into the wind in the general direction of the loved ones of a celebrity" to expressing condolences personally to someone who has suffered a loss. Celebrity doesn't really enter into the picture...they were friends of yours, who just happened to be high profile.

Is it better to...(to use an overused cliche) live large and die young, or live the life most of us live...?

Well, first of all, even living a life of relative anonymity is no guarantee. People die, at any age, from any one of myriad causes, whether they're living in the realm of excessive highs and lows, or a life like most of us live, a sine wave of considerably lower amplitude. Of course, possibly the most notable example of beautiful people beset by tragedy are the Kennedys. But, I'm sure there are just as many families who suffer tragedies like that who live quiet lives of non-celebrity.

Who was it, George Harrison, I believe, that said something along the lines of "celebrity is something you spend all your energy hoping to attain, and then once attained, spend all your energy trying to be rid of." But, it only happens to a chosen few, and those people are either blessed or cursed with figuring out how to spend it. From the brief personal glimpse you've given us, B'Lips...it sounds as though the Reeves spent it well. And, even in tragedy and death, they taught us grace. Christopher was an inspiration to countless people not only similarly afflicted, but also much less so ("Who am I to complain? It's only my legs I can't use. He can't use anything!")

A guy I know said once of circumstances..."There is no good, there is no bad. There only is". In other words...life happens. The "good" and the "bad" are what you make of it.

Archived