Trying to copy a DVD with EZ DVD Creator 6...

MrKnobs

• Moderators

...but not having much luck. :mad:

There is a DVD copy function in Easy DVD Creator 6, but I have just one drive that recognizes DVDs (the burner), so I have to use the option to copy to the same drive.

The source DVD reads fine to the hard drive, but then after it asks me to put in the blank DVD it stops and reports "Not a blank disk or not enough room on the disk."

Which makes no sense because the file is 2 Gig and the blank DVD is a 4.6 Gig DVD-R.

Anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Terry D.

P.S. This isn't a commercial DVD, it's a one off the video studio in town burned me of my band's video shoot last night.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Anderton

Roxio ate my Buick. Seriously, I've always had terrible luck with Roxio programs. And when I tried to uninstall it...

I'm sellin' my Roxio stock tomorrow. I mean it! :mad:

Plus they keep emailin' me that I should upgrade to 7. I think I'll send an email to customer support and ask them if in the new version DVD copy actually works. :mad:

Terry D.

• Members

I'm really not a dummy when it comes to computers, but when I stupidly installed Roxio software that came with a DVD drive, I felt like I had installed a virus. Comments on their user forums were scathing. When I tried to uninstall it, it left bits and pieces all over the registry anyway, and STILL conflicted with other software.

Eventually some poor soul took pity on me, and directed me to a document on how to uninstall EZ CD Creator. It was sort of like reading IRS regulations, except more complicated. Although it all seemed weird and dangerous, I followed the steps but there will still little pieces of Roxio scattered throughout my root drive.

Some people swear by Roxio, so maybe I had an infelicitious combination of hardware and software. But with my new machine, there is NOTHING Roxio on there except the unavoidable Windows' internal CD routines, and everything works really well. I use Wavelab for all my data backup and CD burning.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Plus they keep emailin' me that I should upgrade to 7. I think I'll send an email to customer support and ask them if in the new version DVD copy actually works.
:mad:

Terry D.

It doesn't. Maybe Nero?

• Moderators

Originally posted by gtrmac

I quit using EZCD/DVD Creator too. I was so glad when Wavelab included data burning so that I could kiss the Roxio stuff goodbye.

I was kinda hoping when I bought a copy of Adobe Premiere Elements for my spouse we'd be able to burn DVDs directly from that software. As it turns out, you can't even read a .VOB file from Premiere. It says, "File type not supported."

I'm trying with Plextor PlexTools right now, it has a DVD copy utility. So far I'm just makin' coasters. :mad:

Terry D.

• Moderators

OK, I give up for now.

The deal is I can use CD Creator to make a data disk with the exact same files as the DVD the video people gave me, in the same order. This disk will immediately pop up and play the DVD in my computer, but not in my home DVD player.

Attempting to copy it with Plextor utilities takes and excruciatingly long time and then dies right before the end with an "invalid command" error.

I used another utility to examine the files on the disk and that utility reports that the video (VOB) files are not copy permitted. If that's the case, I guess that's the problem. Strange that I don't get that info from either of the two other programs, and strange that the TV people would copy protect a video of my own band.

I guess my next step will be to speak with them. :confused:

Terry D.

• Members

Easy CD-Creator... the name alone sends chills up my spine.

You know how I feel about my Epson printer? I LOVE the friggin' thing compared to Roxio/Adaptec.

I BOUGHT that worthless crap software way back in '96. First it had been owned by someone I forget. Then Corel bought it. THAT was a warning sign. But then Adaptec bought up just about all the CD-burning software they could get their hands on, apparently thinking they could corner the market.

And SURE ENOUGH, by the time the got done with what they bought, yeah, they had a corner on the crappy-barely-works CD-burner-ware market.

I'd ALREADY had some unpleasant hours trying to get my Adaptec SCSI card working and knew that their phone support was, shall we say, less than ideal.

With Easy-CD Creator (which cost around $100 when I bought it) -- they were AMAZINGLY unhelpful, arrogant, had incorrect information, and finally just washed their hands of the whole thing without giving me any satisfaction.

BUT I got the crapware running, where they couldn't (turns out their "experts" had neglected something what SHOULD have been high on their checklist).

I just can't say enough bad about Adaptec AKA Roxio.

• Members

You are aware that many home players won't play DVD-R, yes? I bought a DVD player fairly early on, and it won't play any DVDs created in my stand-alone K-Mart cheapo DVD recorder. So I bought a Target cheapo DVD player last Christmas for $30, and it plays the DVDs I burned just fine.

• Members

One more idea re: DVD burning: Do Ctr-Alt-Delete and find the Roxio process that's running. Right-click on it and set priority to Above Normal or even High. No harm if it doesn't work (just reboot), and if it does work, cool.

I had to do this with Sony Vidcap to get it to transfer DVs to the computer, and I set any "burning" programs to Above Normal just so that nothing interrupts it.

• Moderators

You are aware that many home players won't play DVD-R, yes? I bought a DVD player fairly early on, and it won't play any DVDs created in my stand-alone K-Mart cheapo DVD recorder. So I bought a Target cheapo DVD player just Christmas for $30, and it plays the DVDs I burned just fine.

I know next to nothing about DVD and video. Getting a crash course, trial by error style right now. :D

I don't even know whether DVD-R or DVD+R makes a difference to anything or anyone. I've asked a few people I know which is "better" and mostly what I learned is that they don't know either. :confused:

So I'm doing a lot of reading on this, my day off from work.

As for your suggestion, I think my home DVD player will do DVD-R because one of the utilities I have identified the DVD burned for me by the video studio AS a DVD-R. And that one plays just fine in my player, but copies of it don't. The copies play fine on my computer but not in the player. :confused:

I guess I'm gonna have to rip this thing with some software that ignores copy protection. I hate doing that (not because of any ethical issue, this is a video of my own band and I didn't sign any rights away), but because that sort of program comes with various malware embedded sometimes - or so I've heard.

I've already ripped the DVD down to files on my hard drive, but no matter how I try to burn them onto a DVD it always comes out uplayable.

Terry D.

• Moderators

One more idea re: DVD burning: Do Ctr-Alt-Delete and find the Roxio process that's running. Right-click on it and set priority to Above Normal or even High. No harm if it doesn't work (just reboot), and if it does work, cool.

I had to do this with Sony Vidcap to get it to transfer DVs to the computer, and I set any "burning" programs to Above Normal just so that nothing interrupts it.

That's a thought.

Can't do that in Win98SE (my machine) but could on my wifes XP machine.

I wouldn't guess it to be a timing or underflow issue, because (a) I have this Win98 machine stripped down to the bare minimum and I cancel all other (non-system) processes and apps while I'm doing the burning, and (b) I set the burner to a modest 8x speed reading the files which are already cached to the hard drive.

And there is that little matter of the files being marked with a red x next to "copy allowed?" :confused:

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by boosh

If you were able to copy the dvd to your harddrive a decryption tool is of no-use.

The dvd is not protected. If it was you couldn't copy it to your harddrive.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Thanks! :)

And also I *am* able to make a DVD copy that works on my computers, just not on the DVD player in my living room. The copy the video place burned for me is also a DVD-R disk, so I don't think that could be the problem.

Remember, I know nothing about video except what I've learned in the last few days, so feel free to point out the obvious as it may not be obvious to me. :o

Terry D.

• Moderators

Are the DVDs -r or +r? some dvdplayers can't play -r.

All the blanks I have are -r. I could buy a few +r's when I venture forth in a few minutes.

However, the Plextor utility reports the DVDR the video folks gave me is -r, and it works fine in my home player. :confused:

Terry D.

• Members

I would just try to get a trial version of nero,...

It never failed on me,....

Try the dvds you've burnt also on another standalone dvd player,...maybe yours just doesn't like the brand of dvds.

Try burning on another brand,....

There are lots of options.

• Moderators

I would just try to get a trial version of nero,...

It never failed on me,....

Try the dvds you've burnt also on another standalone dvd player,...maybe yours just doesn't like the brand of dvds.

Try burning on another brand,....

There are lots of options.

Yep, and I'm going through all of them systematically. :(

I like your idea about trying a different DVD player. My bandmates are clamoring to get a copy, I can just give them these "coasters" and then express surprise when they call up and complain. :idea:

And, who knows? Maybe they'll have better luck than I did. :)

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by John Sayers

I recommend Satiera DVD burn software. It does all the right things and is cheap ($30) - it's only 3.5meg and doesn't take over all your drives like Nero and Roxio.

http://www.sateira.com/

cheers

john

Pretty neat, I downloaded the 7 day trial version.

Unfortunately, got the same result, meaning I have yet another copy that my computers can read but my consumer DVD player can't.

So now I'm thinking tomorrow I'll buy a pack of DVD+R media and see if that works any better.

Much appreciate the suggestions from everyone, BTW. :)

Terry D.

• Moderators

DVD burners and players are picky about media. It's often necessary to download a firmware update for a DVD player so that it can handle newer media.

My computer DVD burners both have the latest firmware from Plextor burned in.

My consumer player, well..... who knows. Maybe it's picky about DVD-R media. For sure it doesn't mind the DVD-R original, and for sure it plays image DVD-Rs just fine.

I'm probably doing something basically wrong/dumb. The Satiera software has no COPY option, so I just ripped the files off the original DVD and burned them to the copy. Maybe next I'll try saving the DVD image to disk and then burning that.

Terry D.

Archived