When singers twirl and play with microphone stands

• Members

Taking the question as a generality and answering likewise...

LAME!

That is, for the majority of the people doing the twirl the stand or whip the mic around by it's cord tricks. Some do seem to have a knack that makes it seem the natural thing to do but most, no.

• Members

When I went to see Rod Stewart in Richmond, VA in 1973, he threw that mic stand around all over the freakin place. At the time I thought it was a fun high energy show. I don't know what I think about it now. I never get out of the house.

• Members

You know what I hate.... when they just use the last skinny perch of a boom mic. Are they too weak to lug the entire stand?

The only singer I spare from this is Freddy Mercury. As much as I like him and his music... I would prefer if he just held the mic. But... I will let it go for him.

For the rest of ya....it's just silly looking, and useless.

• Moderators

Originally posted by John S. Shinal

Depends on who does it, and how well. Roger Daltrey and Stephen Tyler both did it well, and made it look cool.

That guy "Hat" from Montgomery-Gentry looks like a schmo when he does it.

Schmo! That is a good description of the guy from Montgomery Gentry. Shmoe? Anyway, yeah, he's not very cool when he does it.

• Members

Twirling and gesturing and expertly manipulating the mikestand is one thing, but:

It has become fashionable amongst modern standup-comics to use the microphone vigorously during their act, hitting themselves and the chair with it-- hard-- to punctuate a joke, etc.

Several new young comics have even finished their shows recently by slamming their microphones to the stage floor, and sauntering offstage as if their s*** don't stank.

I dunno, I always wince when I see & hear this. I don't care who the person is doing this...

Is there any musician or comic big enough, who has the right to destroy a really fine microphone???

:eek:

• Members

I am a shameless and unabashed twirler of the mike stand and mike. The two things that actually bug me are when singers use boom mike stands and when musicians just stand there doing nothing. It is a show and you should feel it and express that feeling. Staring at your instrument is not performing. Of course this is just my opinion and some people can actually pull of the disinterested thing, but really, boom mikes are just not rock and yes I play guitar and sing and never use a boom mike.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

Steven Tyler

Prince

James Brown

Otis Redding

Yeah, I hear ya Lee, but Prince and James can dance and move, as well. And Otis had lots of class. And the three of them could "front" any band and entertain on a high level just based solely on pure personal charisma, not to mention talent. I don't hate Tyler. I admit I don't really love the guy, either. Even in the 70's, to me he looked no different than a billion other generic rock bar band mic stand twirlers, especially with the even then cliche scarves attached to the stand. :bor:

Nuthin' personal, ya unnerstan'..... :)

Rick

Archived