Been listening to The La's

myshkin

• Members

For the last week. What an album that is. Saw them live last year, superb but took till now to get hold of their album. What was it about that time though that you'd get one amazing anbum from the likes of My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses...and that'd be virtually that. Any word on The La's releasing new stuff, I know Lee Mavers supposedly has loads of great songs lying around.

P.S. Looking GLass must be one of the all time great tracks, absolute genius.

• Members

Sorry for bumping me own thread but is the lack of response indicative of their causing no waves in the US. Tis rapidly becoming one of my all time favourite albums. ANy lovers of the likes of Beatles, Love or just raw classic pop/rock tunes will not be disapppointed. The kind of album you first think is ok, but a few days later you realise you're addicted. IMO genuinely up there with the likes of Revolver.

• Members

They had a song that was played here quite a bit a while ago, "There She Goes". And I had the cassette of that (cassette - see, I told you it was a while ago...:D ), and remember thinking it was really catchy.

Now, maybe their other stuff is considerably better... while I thought it was really catchy, in no way did I ever thought it compared to "Revolver". And I'm not even a huge Beatles fan.

Someone redid "There She Goes". I can't remember who, but it it was a sparser, slowed-down arrangement with a female singer. Anyway, personally, I think the original La's version stomps all over the remake, which sounded really lightweight and fluffy to my ears.

• Members

Same over here Ustad that There She Goes has got all the airplay but there's a hell of alot more to the album than that tune. The kind of tunes you think initially are good but whats the big deal, but soon see that it's 3 minute classic after 3 minute classic. Catchy but certainly a kind of spiritual essence there too. And to repeat myself, Loooking Glass is the kind of song only geniuses on top form can write. And I don't think I'm too easily given to hyperbole. Just listening to it again, incredible stuff.

• Members

I downloaded There She Goes last night as I hadn't heard it for a while. Can that song be really from 1989? Anything with a 12-string thing going on reminds me of the Byrds and Roger McGuinn. When I am solvent I'll get the rest of the album. There She Goes is a cracker of a pop tune. I wish I'd written that riff...

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

I downloaded There She Goes last night as I hadn't heard it for a while. Can that song be really from 1989? Anything with a 12-string thing going on reminds me of the Byrds and Roger McGuinn. When I am solvent I'll get the rest of the album. There She Goes is a cracker of a pop tune. I wish I'd written that riff...

:cool:

And by the sound of it, Lee Mavers, their front man could practically come up with catchy genius at the drop of a hat. Though sadly for someone into such a raw sound, he seems to be impossible to please regarding releasing songs the way he wants them to sound. If he'd his way the La's album would probably never have seen the light of day. Here's hoping the reformation of the band for the live gigs might result in some more releases.

• Moderators

The only thing I've ever heard is There She Goes. That is one hell of a pop tune. It clicks on so many levels like a lot of the great pop records did decades before. The tone and attitude of his voice, the infectious chord progression, the janglyness of it all. The nonsensical vowel sounds... yeah, great tune.

But you see, there was word that that was the only good thing they did. I remember hearing that tune and along with it hearing how it was a shame that it was the only good one from them.

And now you tell me the album's great. Guess what I'm going to buy today?

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Knight

The only thing I've
ever
heard is There She Goes. That is one hell of a pop tune. It clicks on so many levels like a lot of the great pop records did decades before. The tone and attitude of his voice, the infectious chord progression, the janglyness of it all. The nonsensical vowel sounds... yeah, great tune.

But you see, there was word that that was the only good thing they did. I remember hearing that tune and along with it hearing how it was a shame that it was the only good one from them.

And now you tell me the album's great. Guess what I'm going to buy today?

:thu: There She Goes is a great track but it's probably the one I tend to skip over cos of over exposure. Listening to the album again now....Me a lost cause, totally hooked. Lee Mavers must be one of the greatest vocal deliverers ever. Seeing them live, his voice cuts thru the sound amazingly.

• Members

Originally posted by myshkin

Same over here Ustad that There She Goes has got all the airplay but there's a hell of alot more to the album than that tune. The kind of tunes you think initially are good but whats the big deal, but soon see that it's 3 minute classic after 3 minute classic. Catchy but certainly a kind of spiritual essence there too. And to repeat myself, Loooking Glass is the kind of song only geniuses on top form can write. And I don't think I'm too easily given to hyperbole. Just listening to it again, incredible stuff.

Hey, good to hear! As I mentioned, I remember the rest of that cassette being really catchy. I will try and listen to it again - on CD, since my cassette has probably gone to the great Ferric Oxide Graveyard in the Sky.

Archived