Sorry - looking for recording drums thread

pbognar

• Members

I know I saw a thread a while ago regarding mic-ing and recording a drum kit... I have some friends who want to record a demo and want my advice on recording drums. I seem to recall a thread where people got decent results with as few as 3 mics - if you could direct me to the thread, I'd appreciate it...

Thanks,

Pete

• Members

Gotta run right now, but there's a few sources. Try going to Mercenary Audio's web site (Fletcher) and poking around on there. There's a reprint of an excellent post that Fletcher made on rec.audio.pro that is very good.

You may also do searches on "3-mic technique" + "drums" and "Glyn Johns" and come up with something, as this has been posted on the internet numerous times.

I believe there was a thread about this in Phil's forum as well, and Fletcher posts there occasionally.

Oh, and there's the Earthworks Drum Mic Kit. That only uses 3 mics as well. Their Demo CD sounds very good.

I get good results from 3 mics as well, but usually a spaced pair and a kick drum mic (okay, sometimes I add a 4th mic, which is a room mic - does that count? :D ). You and everyone else may hereafter refer to this as the "Ken Lee 3-Mic Drum Technique". It'll bring more business to Blueberry Buddha Recording Studio. Thanks. 'Preciate it.

• Members

Thanks Ken...

I had done searches in this forum - with no good results, but I must have stumbled into Phil's forum via a link at some point in the paslt, because I found what I was looking for over there...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1051210&highlight=3mic+technique

There is even a reference to the legendary "Ken Lee 3-Mic Drum Technique" :D

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by pbognar

Thanks Ken...

I had done searches in this forum - with no good results, but I must have stumbled into Phil's forum via a link at some point in the paslt, because I found what I was looking for over there...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1051210&highlight=3mic+technique

There is even a reference to the legendary "Ken Lee 3-Mic Drum Technique"
:D

Pete

Yes, there sure is!! :D And what glorious detail! Look, if you and I and hopefully a few more people can get on board and keep inquiring around the internet: "Hey, where can I find out more about the legendary "Ken Lee 3-Mic Drum Technique" (or help me out here, since marketing's not my strong suit - should we call it a "4-Mic Drum Technique"?), the technique will be an overnight sensation!!!!

Okay, I've had a little more time to look around, and I've found this from Fletcher's site, where he reprints his posts from rec.audio.pro (which I remember seeing when he initially posted that!):

3-Mic Technique of Glynn and Andy Johns, Geoff Emerick, etc. as told by Fletcher

Archived