Anyone Try Any Windows Music Programs with Boot Camp?

• Members

Okay, but I'm not asking about stuff that works on Macintel -- that will be the usual excruciating transition, I'm sure. What I want to know is what Windows-only music software works with Boot Camp, the utility that lets you boot into XP. My assumption is that programs like Excel and Word will work like a champ, but what about Wavelab, Acid, Vegas, DirectX plug-ins, etc.? The Gearslutz thread is pretty much just a compendium of announcements of which companies have released Macintel-compatible software.

• Members

So Gus -- how does the audio end of things work? Does it transparently deal with Core Audio and all that? Do DirectX plugs work? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Get whoever is doing the testing to sign up over here and let us know what's shakin'!

If it really does work, and I could run programs like Sonar, it seems that would simplify my b-platform world a whole lot. OTOH if a genuine Windows machine gives much better performance, that's a whole other story. I wouldn't want a program to limp along under Boot Camp, I'd want it to be truly useable.

Originally posted by Anderton

So Gus -- how does the audio end of things work? Does it transparently deal with Core Audio and all that? Do DirectX plugs work? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Get whoever is doing the testing to sign up over here and let us know what's shakin'!

If it really does work, and I could run programs like Sonar, it seems that would simplify my b-platform world a whole lot. OTOH if a genuine Windows machine gives much better performance, that's a whole other story. I wouldn't want a program to limp along under Boot Camp, I'd want it to be truly useable.

That software we've been testing does not run DX plugins at this moment, so I could not tell.

CoreAudio? It is at that point a Win XP Machine. There's no mac / pc crossover. It starts as a Win or OS X machine for practical purposes.

One of my customers is about to run Pro Tools M-Powered and Live on his MacIntel.

I'll keep you posted!

• Members

>

So basically, if you use ASIO I assume it will work just fine...I guess WDM would too, come to think of it. What with USB and FireWire interfaces, I guess the days of worrying about what was going to happen with the serial ports and MIDI are over...

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

It is at that point a Win XP Machine. There's no mac / pc crossover. It starts as a Win or OS X machine for practical purposes.

This is the answer. Unless there is an odd IC chip thrown into the mix you will have no issues because you are running Windows. (well, no issues that you wouldn't have otherwise running Windows, anyway.)

Here's a tip: if you want to use your data on both platforms, format a drive/partition as DOS. Windows only reads DOS & NTFS, and other systems can't write NTFS.

• Members

I'm currently using Sonar 4 and Live 5 under bootcamp. I'm using a presonus Firebox using ASIO drivers for both.It works like any other Win XP computer except the firewire is bus powered so I need no power cable for my firebox.I have to say its the quietest laptop I've ever used, the fans rarely come on and when they do there quiet.

The only downsides I've found is

1- the trackpad doesn't support right-clicking so you need a mouse

2- the backlight keyboard doesn't work under bootcamp.

• Members

I tested out Sonar 2.2XL with an 828MkII and it worked fine (and FAST). (I switched to Logic as my primary DAW several years ago, so I don't have a more current Sonar release).

Been running Logic Platinum 5.5.1 on my GRX Vaio laptop for mobile work, and a Logic Pro 7 on a 1Ghz DP G4 in my studio. The powerbooks were so slow, I could never justify buying one. I also need Windows for work, so it's fantastic to be able to run both OS's on the same screaming machine. A two-fer.

And the bonus is being able to keep the G4 as my main studio rig - using dual monitors and a UAD-1 - and get the horsepower of the MacBook Pro with Logic Node running.

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by jfjr

The only downsides I've found is

1- the trackpad doesn't support right-clicking so you need a mouse

On the MacBooks, you can right click using the trackpad by holding two fingers apart on the trackpad and then "click". Easily done with one hand.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Does the 2-finger click work in Windows on a MacIntel running it with BootCamp?

BTW, folks who are interested in Windows apps on your MacIntel: there are some other options, including "Parallels", which lets you run Win and OSX side-by-side, and another whose name I've forgotten, only announced a week or so ago, that tries to make it possible for you to run a Windows app without even running Windows.

I've no idea how either works with audio apps like the ones we're interested in here, but Parallels is said to be just about useless for games, video editing apps, or apps that use 3D, like MAX, Maya, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it can't handle the heavy workload a DAW program brings.