Modest firewire/PCI interface - suggestions?

Phait

• Members

You may recall a few years ago I bought a Powerbook for music production. I still have it, it's served me well. It came time to get a better system and relegate the laptop to travel or media center. All the research I'd done had led me to buy Apple for a reason - bottom line, I wanted minimum fuss when it came to hardware.

This year having looked at Apple's offerings (from new to refurbs), and looking at the money I was making - I actually reconsidered getting a PC. Did some hunting for componenents and well, let's just say I've saved a good chunk of change having built it.

syscd6.jpg

I'm running Logic Audio 5 on it. I haven't really used it on the PC platform just yet. Here are the specs of the system:

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8 GHz)

- Abit KN8 (NF-CK804) motherboard

- 1 GB Kingston RAM

- 120 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache

- 128 MB PCI-E GeForce 6200 LE video

- Onboard sound (a no-no, but bear with me...)

- firewire card (400mbps I think)

and a few other things like DVD-R, card reader, wifi card...

+ two 19" Viewsonic widescreen LCD's only $205 each. All in all it cost me under $1000, in the $900 range.

So, what I'm looking for is either a PCI card and/or firewire audio interface. I don't need a lot of ins/outs. All I've got is the Fantom-S workstation keyboard. Specs here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/Fantom-S/specs.html

I don't think I want to spend more than $600 on a preamp alone. If it's a controller/mixer + preamp, maybe $800.

In Logic I don't normally have more than 6 to 8 tracks of a song going, but I've got it setup for 16 audio tracks. I don't work with MIDI and probably never will:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8601/logic1eg2.jpg

I've also got a guitar. Ideally what I need is a good preamp, OR a good controller with preamp that'll mesh with Logic. I've seen some nice controllers by Tascam, and I'd like to have 24 faders just in case. But anything like that with preamps is gonna cost me, so 16 should do.

For a preamp alone, all I'd need are the ins/outs to record the workstation directly to my hard-drive. My process is typically that, I'll write/record the song track by track, then resample each track individually - transfer it to computer, import into Logic and mix from there. It's a bit of a long process utilizing the keyboard's own resampling. I may also be recording guitar with the preamp, although direct recording tends to really suck. So I suppose I'm looking at minimum of 2 recording channels. I also would like to have ADAT/optical on the interface - I currently use that from the workstation to the powered monitors, as there is no other way.

I've heard good about Presonus preamps and Mackie controllers. A friend of mine ( http://www.pedalboy.net ) uses a Focusrite Octopre and I really like the quality of his home recordings.

So, the PC for music is new territory for me - I think Craig may have a few words about this :) If you have any PC-centric DAW advice and suggestions for all this, I'm open. Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by Phait

I don't think I want to spend more than $600 on a preamp alone. If it's a controller/mixer + preamp, maybe $800.

You might want to consider the Pre sonus FirePod($600.00) or even FireBox($300.00). Drivers are solid, converters are excellent, very good clock and the built in pre's are better than your average built in mixer/controller pre's, but no faders though. The Yamaha 01X would be another consideration if you need faders, otherwise plan on spending more.

• Members

Hi Phait,

I'm involved in a similar search. What I really want is an RME Fireface, but it will take a while to save the needed cash. The quality of these units are great, and I have yet to hear of an unhappy user. There are two sizes, both of which have ADAT, good pre's, good clock.

Alesis makes some units that promise all that you want; firewire, faders, ADAT... I'm scared to buy one of these little cheapies -- afraid I'll get what I paid for. If they were any good I think we'd hear more about them on these venerable forums.

Since the Fireface is out of reach for about a year my plan is to buy a "Cheap and Cheerful" firewire interface to use in the meantime, and afterward for on-location recording.

In the forums that I most respect (this one, and Phil's), of all the bottom-feeder firewire dealies, the PreSonus devices are mentioned most often. "Usable Pre's" are the reason. I'm also considering the M-Audio units that have been re-badged for sale with SONAR (which I use). I have to stifle a gag reflex when I think about M-Audio, but maybe it's not so bad?

I'll keep watching your thread, in case anything educational happens.

-mark

• Members

Thanks guys, I'll do some hunting.

Gus - yes it's me, the one and lonely *ba-dum-pshhhh*

Re: speaker orientation. I have seen this done and read about it (though little) and heard it's no big deal. Although yes, that they're within a hacked-down shelf may not be good.

The issue is those widescreen monitors. I have no room for the audio monitors, and even if I did - I think the relation to my head/ears would be too wide (cue TheWewus joke) - but what do I know?

I have no other way to place them at the moment - certainly not behind the monitors :p

• Members

Your monitors look like Edirol ?10D (don't recall the exact model name at the moment).

I am in the process of setting up a little computer DAW for my 14 year old nephew (start 'em early) and the Edirols you have are what we used. Only heard them for a minute or two after we partially set his system up the other night as it was late.

What's your opinion on those little devils? For the brief time I heard them, they actually sounded fairly decent when we played a commercial CD through them.

• Members

Get a 10" X 1" X whatever length needed Pine or Oak board, sand/stain/varnish and place it on your workstation under your video monitors (after moving that CPU Tower to the floor). Then you can place your audio monitors to either side of the video monitors...probably a much better orientation. Just a thought.

Bear

• Members
Originally posted by Phait

Re: speaker orientation.

The issue is those widescreen monitors. I have no room for the audio monitors

Get a pair of speaker stands. And replace those Edirol's so you can hear how good your new audio interface will really sound. You may need to reconsider you budget distribution and balance. Seriously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Do any of you recommend PCI over Firewire? I thought I read somewhere going onboard PCI is faster, though I can't recall offhand it's speed. I believe the card I got was FW400 not 800, by the way.

Interesting to note there is no wall behind the desk - just an open space with a sheet hanging, and maybe 3 to 4 feet behind that is concrete basement wall. Not sure if that's good or bad. Although within a few months I'll most likely be in an apartment and I'll have to start caring about my setup a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'll probably go Firewire unless a PCI offering might have better features when I actually shop for the thing. I did get a firewire card for a reason afterall!

Phil - always nice to see bulletins on Myspace from you with your articles. I have to read them yet, but I'm glad they're there :D

• Members

PCI will be have bang for the buck than firewire, too, if you are looking for just a few channels. I'd guess this is just because there are more out there to pick from, and with PCI being older, doesn't have that tinge of 'bleeding edge technology' built into the price tag.

I haven't personally tried these, but I've been looking at both lately:

Phonic - - (incredible price/feature ratio, but unknown as to quality) It's embedded into a small mix console, so it's not a 'small box' solution.

- - Maybe Phonic quality isn't so 'unknown':

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/forum.php?action=view_thread&id=9703&frm=2

Presonus - - the 8 channel one has drawn my interest; the price is quite good and the reputation also.

Archived