Paul's boring - 'suggest me a player' thread

MorePaul

• Members

OK kids -- it's time for me to get a new Personal player

The market has gone crazy nutty in the past few years it looks like - so I'm sort of lost in a sea of options. I thought I'd offer up a req spec to clarify my needs

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Application : portabale digital audio player for listening to both music and spoken word in a variety of environmental (temp and moisture swings) conditions

Note on use model :

I typically use players as a 'playback device' containing daily to weekly content (as opposed to the "whole library storage" model.)

Required

-playback of MP3 audio files

-non-proprietary computer interface HW

- [soft spec - hard spec TBD] memory adequate to store "a weeks worth of listening" (note : due to the fact that 'listening' includes spoken word as well as music storage requiremet specs are a little more complex, but is probably considerably less than "modern music only" listening)

just as a PFA, let's say 1GB absolute min 3-5 GB nominal

Strongly Desired

-playback support of other audio file types

-Audible brand DRM support

-ruggedized (esp for moisture resistance and enhanced phone jack durability)

-non-proprietary computer system interface SW (example : something that operates on aa 'virtual drive' model effectively)

Preferred

-generic file storage capability

-swappable battery (pref AA)

-[very soft spec] less visually oriented UI

Don't care about

-picture/movie capabilities

-advanced playlist/shuffle/arranging facitilies

-hyper-compact size

Note on Price point : I am unclear on current market and so cannot accurately arrive at a reasonable price point...I suppose storage size is going to be a huge driver heere and I am willing to be elastic on that -- but I do expect there to be heavily accellerated depreciation on the unit due to the market forces AND the unit will be used in a "dynamic" way, so something 'too precious' (ooh, I invested quite bit in that and I shouldn't throw it around)

wuld not be a good fit

Ok, some ofthatis ill-defined, ut hey, it's a process thing ;)

thanks for your thoughts

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

my apologies, typo

Audible bRand DRM

DRM....hey, I'll bet that is the Digital Reverse Mode. We have it on good authority that its de rigueur to play music backwards to check for messages from Satan. Check the recent Led Zeppelin thread on that. ARM (analog) probably sounds better though. And I really think MP, that is way too much stuff ITB. :):p

(Sorry, I hate to see you twirling in the wind like this.):cry:

• Members

My SanDisk memplayer has been fine (and has the best sound earbuds I've ever had but that's not saying much of anything except that it certainly beats the Sony earbuds I paid $20 for) -- except for one issue... the way the "shuffle" mode works.

Maybe I still don't understand it. But it sure seems to me like, even with "restore" on that it often jumps back 3 or 4 songs (not a regular amount each time, I don't think) in the playlist when it's turned off and then turned on again.

It's fairly minor, I guess -- easy enough to hit the advance control a few times -- but it's annoying. I've had mine for a while, it was a first gen 1 GB memplayer. So, hopefully, they've "adjusted" their playback OS.

• Members
Originally posted by RockViolin

DRM....hey, I'll bet that is the Digital Reverse Mode. We have it on good authority that its de rigueur to play music backwards to check for messages from Satan.

Once found a backmasked message in a GI Joe cartoon. One of the baddies had to do an ancient chant to call forth a terrible sea creature. It said "Anyone looking for hidden backwards message is a real dweeb"

(Sorry, I hate to see you twirling in the wind like this.):cry: [/b

aww :love: you had me at digital reverse mode

Archived