Squeeze

Geoff Grace

• Members

Of Course! I bet there's quite a few among us.

And while I like a few of the Phase Two albums (Babylon and On is easily the best) it's the killer tandem of Argy Bargy and Eastside Story that I hold dear.

I saw them circa Babylon and On. Excellent show. Glenn Tilbrook is a major talent. Jules Holland was with them briefly at that point and was treated like a king. People brought him flowers on stage. Women swooned over him. I believe he sang one song all night, but he was a celebrity above and beyond Squeeze.

• Members

I did a couple tours with them in the early late 80's and 90's. An incredible band, especially considering they were some of the biggest coke heads I ever saw. Despite being high as {censored}ing elephants every night, they could play consistantly great shows night after night. Too bad Jewels Holland and Paul Carrack couldn't get along, when they were both in the band it was its strongest IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

especially considering they were some of the biggest coke heads I ever saw. Despite being high as {censored}ing elephants every night...

Call me naive, but that's a tad disappointing. Of course, maybe it explains why so much of their recorded output of that time (Cosi Fan Tutti Futti, Frank, Play, Some Fantastic Place, etc) is so sucky and sounds kinda like coke rock--which is to say overdone and a little full of its own purported sophistication. To my mind, all of the best Squeeze albums of the '90s were written and performed by Aimee Mann and Jon Brion...

[Edit: okay, I have to admit, I own most of those late Squeeze albums, and Play is actually pretty good. Frank, however, is virtually without redeeming qualities of any kind]

• Members

Whatever, it was the 80's, most dumbass musicians were doing a bunch of coke and that has nothing to do with whether I like their music. :bor:

Squeeze were a fantastic band, and I still see Glenn Tilbrook solo every time he comes to town. The guy is amazing... genius songwriter, and he can play incredibly complex guitar stuff while singing something that runs totally counter to the guitar part in phrasing... I hate that guy. :D Puts on a really entertaining show, too. But yeah, the Squeeze shows back in the day were truly inspiring stuff, and the records didn't suck, either... and yes the earlier records hold up very well.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Whatever, it was the 80's, most dumbass musicians were doing a bunch of coke and that has nothing to do with whether I like their music.
:bor:

Yeah... if I had to throw away every record I owned that was created by an artist who was on coke or smack at the time of recording it, I'd have very few things to listen to anymore. :)

- Jeff

• Members

Well, I certainly hope I didn't come off likea prude or, worse, an idolatrist!

When I weigh in on the recurrent, eterna; topic of drugs and the creative process, I generally stake out the "useful but dangerous" camp.

Where made them sound like raging coke heads, and I must confess that I have a particulary strong bias against that particular drug, especially when used heavily and long term.

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

Where made them sound like raging coke heads, and I must confess that I have a particulary strong bias against that particular drug, especially when used heavily and long term.

I do too, and I had to deal with a lot of coke heads back in the day. It wasn't pretty. It's just that years of living in L.A. during the 70's and 80's made me realize that I couldn't base my opinion of someone's music on their personality or habits, or it would spoil music for me completely.

• Members

Anyway, I apologize to Geoff for taking a Squeeze appreciation thread OT.

I love Squeeze, so much, in fact, that as of today I want my new band to cover one of my favorite Squeeze bouncy rockers: Mumbo Jumbo from Eastside Story.

• Members

My experience with squeeze unfortunately is without exaggeration, and I also have a particular distain for coke users, being a former one myself (now clean over 9yrs one day at a time) but the amazing thing was, and I'm not in any way condoning their habits, but you never knew, and they played amazingly perfect every figgin' night!!!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Squeeze were a fantastic band, and I still see Glenn Tilbrook solo every time he comes to town. The guy is amazing... genius songwriter, and he can play incredibly complex guitar stuff while singing something that runs totally counter to the guitar part in phrasing... I hate that guy.
:D
Puts on a really entertaining show, too. But yeah, the Squeeze shows back in the day were truly inspiring stuff, and the records didn't suck, either... and yes the earlier records hold up very well.

+1

Tilbrook is an amazing guitarist and a brilliant songwriter, and he still has That Voice.

When my wife and I caught his solo acoustic show in April, he seemed not the least bit dismayed that he was no longer playing the larger venue across town-- he filled that little bar with 150 raging Squeezeheads and left it all on that little postage-stamp-sized stage. He played quite a few tunes from his last couple of solo records, The Incomplete Glenn Tilbrook and Transatlantic Ping Pong, all of which held up quite well alongside the Squeeze canon.

Best show I've seen in ages.

Archived