Should I loosen my speaker nuts?

Jeff Leites

• Members

The October "Guitar Player" has an article on replacing speakers. It says to "Hand-tighten the nuts, but don't over-tighten them, as this can restrict cone movement and lead to speaker failure".

I'm concerned because I recently reinstalled a speaker after it was re-coned and I built a 2X12 cab. I pretty much torqued down on the nuts thinking that was what I should do. Can this really damage my speakers?

• Members

So long as they are not so tight that the basket becomes distorted, you are fine. You don't want them coming loose. I've had to open several Marshall cabs that came out of the shipping carton with speaker bolts rattling aroung inside - quite a nuisance.

• Members

These are all old Jensen speakers with heavy duty baskets. They each have 8 bolt holes instead of the 4 I see on some speakers today.

I checked the ones in my cab, and I didn't strong arm them as much as I thought I did. But since I had a wrench in my hand, I undid all 16 nuts, applies liquid lock nut, like the article suggested, and just made the nut's snug. I'll probably do the same to the speaker in my combo amp, but it may be a little trickier to work on without removing the amp chassis again.

• Members

What's your baffle made out of? If it's birch plywood (what I always use) there shouldn't be a problem as it's absolutely flat/ true cabinet grade product. If you used some sort of particle board or MDF which can warp, then there might be a problem, but if you're clamping down to a true surface then it ain't gonna warp. No comment on stamped baskets which might distort on their own if they aren't front mounted.

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

Usually tightening the nuts makes speakers go up one octave in pitch.

Ah, you must be one of the fans of the "kahler cone" the cam operated srew-tension speaker whammy system circa '86

I remember the ads for that feated Steve Howe's cousin's barber's brother

Archived