Why do the Stones hide their bass player?

Hard Truth

• Members

When Ron Wood and Mick Taylor joined the Rolling Stones they immediately began appearing in band photos. Relatively new bassist Daryl Jones never appears in recent group photos. If you look at the official website you would never know that he exists even though he has worked with the band for over ten years.

Some possible reasons why:

1. The band is racist. Although they make it clear that they have been inspired by African american music they have at least two songs with arguably racist lyrics. (Brown Sugar, Some Girls)

2. Marketing/Mangement people told the band to leave him out of all publicity because he doesn't look like a Rolling Stone. (Because he is black, chubby and/or younger than the rest of the band.)

3. They think Bill Wyman will return to the fold someday.

• Members

Well if they are racist, they must have also been racist against (white guy) Ian Stewart, who was their piano player from day one but was never considered an "official" member of the band because their publicist early on told them his image wasn't right.

At this point though I think the Stones are simply not accepting any "new" members. When you've been together as long as they have, it seems wrong to accept anybody else as being really one of them. It would feel wrong to their audience as well. Whereas even when Ron Wood joined (in 1975 - over 30 years ago folks!) that was not so much the case.

• Members

I don't think the band is racist, those texts seem more pictures of reality to me. Brown sugar is also a variety of heroin, a double sense is possible with the picture of a cynical world.

I think that "2)" is the point, absolutely, they have to keep "that" particular image and identity, a "vintage" sound by "vintage" players...:D

• Members

Oh and BTW things like "Brown Sugar" and "Some Girls" are Jagger singing from the point of view of a character, like a character in a book. A lot of the Stones' songs are from another person's point of view and it might be someone who's a stereotype that they're making fun of, like the hillybilly hick dude in "Dear Doctor" or the Devil himself in "Sympathy for the Devil" or somebody overdosing on heroin in "Sister Morphine." I don't see how ANYbody could interpret "Sister Morphine" as being a pro-drug song if they've actually heard the song, but amazingly many people think it is.

• Members

If you were an origional member of the Stones would you see a need to make a new person a "member" with full share of money and publicity? For a young band it would make sense if the person is a talented writer or singer. At this stage in the Stone's career the band is living off of their history. No use in sharing any more than they have to. People are paying to see the origional members. I could be playing bass for them for $50 a night and they would still sell out concerts. No need for me to be in the picture.

Robert

• Members

Craig A wrote: I think it's probably that he's a hired sideman, like Bobby Keys and other people they've used over the years, who weren't part of the "band."

As I recall, the Stones did originally announce that he was a new band member which they have never done for their various keyboardists, horn players etc.

My understanding is that Ian Stewart never became an official Rolling Stone because he was older and didn't have the right look.

• Members

Correct, Darryl "Munch" Jones is not a full band member, dispite him being the only bassist since Wyman left several years ago.

Munch is a character, I saw him about a year ago when the stones were playing Fenway Park. He and I worked together with Miles Davis, and have remained in touch through the years. He's in heaven, making it hand over fist with the Stones, giving him time to enjoy life. He's done very well for himself, with credits of Sting(the blue turtle band) Madonna, Peter Gabriel and others under his belt.

He is one great guy, who despite all the fame and money he certainly deserves, has never forgotten the little people (like yours truly) who work hard to make it happen.

Anyway, his deal with the stones is that of a (very very well paid) sideman, and part of Bill's departure was that the stones for pubilicy would only be the remaining 4.

• Members

I saw Ronnie wood and band in NYC back in 1991, I and two of my current bandmates were fortunate to sit and have some drinks with him at a post concert party at Hard Rock Cafe...we were all pretty loaded ,but the gist of Ron Wood's story was he was a "hired hand" of the Stones and didn't reach full band membership 'til years after he joined...he told us that he barely made ends meet while the other "REAL Stones" ived a life of opulence and luxury...we(my band buds and I seem to concur on this conclusion, as well as remembering the train ride home from NYC when we got in an altercation with some Jersey City Skinheads (sorry DGauss)... even though we (band guys and I) all had a CCW permit, we always chose to leave the 9's home when traveling to NYC and North Jersey.... I did have some Mace in My Doc Martins, that exploded and cleaned out the club car when one of the faggot skinheads kick me in the shin like the little wuss he was, but I digress... anyway ...The BRIT musicians are famous for being"frugal...." among them (according to RW) are Robert Plant ,who would never buy a a round of Pints in a Pub ...to David Bowie, who tried to pay Stevie Ray Vaughn musicians scale wage to tour with him on the "glass Spider" tour (i thinkthat was the tour...

• Members

Well, aside from being a very talented dude, Daryl Jones was in Stings band early on, and if his whining in the Sting documovie was any indication, I would not let that guy near the press...he just sounded like a chronic complainer...

• Members

Darryl is far from a whiner, he is one of the most easy going guys I've ever worked with.

As far as him making ends meet, he was very well off before the stones call. Madonna alone made him a bloody fortune. Since his Miles days he's been one of the most in demand bassists in the world.

• Members
Originally posted by deanmass

Well, aside from being a very talented dude, Daryl Jones was in Stings band early on, and if his whining in the Sting documovie was any indication, I would not let that guy near the press...he just sounded like a chronic complainer...

that was HIM in Stings movie? I remember a thin guy with a turtleneck sweater with a "nutty buddy" ice cream type hairdo, The style then ,along with the mega-mullets for white guys, he was doing some carping yes, saying "Stang this and Stang that... "but that's just regular everyday band {censored}, I wouldn't really call it whining, anyway he looks "prosperous" these days to stay the least, and I think a VERY talented bassist....'member the line from the Docu-movie as they broke into a song....Daryl was saying "what's the key, WHATS THE KEY????"

• Members

Originally posted by deanmass

if his whining in the Sting documovie was any indication, I would not let that guy near the press...he just sounded like a chronic complainer...

you'd complain too if you had to deal with sting...

darryl has sooo much money now who cares if he gets seen? to put it in perspective, i've heard that on the last tour, the horn guys (not bobby keys 'cause he gets more) were paid 10 grand per week with a one year commitiment. not too shabby a way to travel round the world with a bunch of old farts :)

-d. gauss

• Members

Sting was a huge stepping stone for him. I was working with him with Miles both before and after he did the Blue Turtles band, and the transformation was amazing. He always had the best chops, but prior to Sting, his technique was way too agressive, and he would literally rip strings off his bass, a couple a show.

Now, there's no stopping to change guitars with Miles, so I would (while doing monitors) change his broken strings while he continued to play, a procedure we actually practiced to get it down. I'd cut the remains of the old string off, replace it and wind until the tension felt close, give it a few stretches, and when whatever tune they were playing finally ended, he'd tune it.

After Sting, the agression was gone, and so were the broken strings, not one from then on.

• Members

Sting was a huge stepping stone for him. I was working with him with Miles both before and after he did the Blue Turtles band, and the transformation was amazing. He always had the best chops, but prior to Sting, his technique was way too agressive, and he would literally rip strings off his bass, a couple a show.

Now, there's no stopping to change guitars with Miles, so I would (while doing monitors) change his broken strings while he continued to play, a procedure we actually practiced to get it down. I'd cut the remains of the old string off, replace it and wind until the tension felt close, give it a few stretches, and when whatever tune they were playing finally ended, he'd tune it.

After Sting, the agression was gone, and so were the broken strings, not one from then on.

• Members

Archived