Monitors: A critical link in the recording chain...or is it?

• Members

For years and years, I've read about the absolute need for a proper monitoring environment. I've seen countless articles, reviews of products, and manufacturers who tell me that without the right set of monitors, I will have trouble creating good mixes.

I don't disagree that a controlled listening environment is a good thing. What I do have an issue with is that the truth of the matter is no matter what you monitor on, you still have to train your ears to understand the specifics of how a mix will transfer. As long as one is monitoring on a system that is at least full range, you should be able to execute good mixes, just as you would on a pair of high-end monitors.

I had been mixing on a pair of $60 Technics home stereo speakers for years until I started doing most of my work on the computer and shifted over to a 2.1 Creative set-up. Seriously.

Once you do a few mixes on a set of speakers, you start to understand how they translate to other systems and you're good to go. I think the biggest thing is to stick to a certain set of monitors. Maybe I'm making more work for myself, like they say. What's wierd is to this day, that set of Technics is my favorite speakers to listen to music on.

Do they really sound that good? I can pick out the most subtle details on those speakers. Music has more depth and spacial sensation. The clarity is stunning. Is this all possible on a $60 pair of speakers from Sun TV?

Or did I train my ears to this pair of speakers?

What I haven't seen that would be a wonderful innovation would be a monitoring system that involves an enclosure to simulate sitting in a car.

Now that would take all the work out of mixing. "The control room is now obsolete.'

And they should make it to where I can switch between "factory stereo" and "fast and furious".

I've thought about parking a junk car next to the studio and rigging it up just for this.

Maybe they need to just make a car stereo with some decent inputs so I can just mix out in the car. :D

With Love,

-the stranger :thu:

• Members

If that single set of speakers is relatively accurate, and if the room is tuned properly and if the engineer is familiar with both intimately, then it is possible to generate mixes that translate well. Hell I and many top engineers still spend much of our time on crap sounding NS-10's, and there's more songs mixed on them still than probably all the rest combined. However I do feel that monitoring is the vital link in the chain. If you don't know what to listen for and have the means to hear it, you're a blind man duck hunting with a bow and arrow.

• Members

There's also an endurance factor - some speakers are going to tire your ears out more quickly than others. And there is also the pleasure factor - if you are going to be working with music it's not a bad thing to have a pleasurable experience,

• Members

I'm gonna fix a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because all this bull{censored} is making me famished.

This post was brought to you by our sponsers Jif Peanut Butter and Smuckers Black Raspberry Jam. Finger lickin' good. Ain't no funky chicken eatin' goin' on up in here.

• Members

Originally posted by the stranger

You can train a dog, but you can't dog a train. Trains are cool.
:mad:

Wait...

You can ride a train, but you can't train a ride. You can lead a horse to water, but if he sounds like Rod Stewart, I'd give him a smoke.

Also:

You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends. But you can't wipe your friends on the couch....

Archived