Do kids even think about growing up to be a radio dj anymore?

Rabid

• Members

I don't think radio as a solo job is really a viable field anymore. That's my opinion as a former co-producer for a nationally syndicated radio show. I would addendum that by saying that between satellite radio, terrestrial and podcasting there are ways to cobble together a reasonable living. But the days of one man one microphone and a stable audience with a paycheck are numbered if not gone. In the form we think of it now anyway. My generation has had to become media generalists again. Not a bad thing entirely but a bit more stressful. On the other hand there are a lot more opportunities out there but they just don't pay (individually) what they used to.

• Members

hmm,

interesting question and interesting perspective from DJ

I pause to wonder about the possible interpretations of the question -- by that I mean - do we need to take a look at the redefinition of "radio"* for the newer gen?

Personal : I don't think I'm super in touch with the new model, but I wasn't super in-touch with the old model

I guess, when I pose the question to myself, I find that the nature of the question has changed

*"radio" - in terms of a means of disseminating audio work

• Members

I grew up believing the local radio people to be legitimate stars. We would go see them making public appearance, and I was always sure to get an autograph.

After I entered the world of radio, there were still some who bestowed that type of celebrity (albeit misappropriated) on me.

One of the most severe challenges to kids wanting to grow up to be in radio is the disappearance of the local celebrity who was accessible. That is also one of the reason why satellite stations lay so flat and lifeless... its because they're flat and lifeless! No local stars to make appearances and to be active in the community. Many satellite stations try to answer this by having Joe the parttimer or Kenny the intern go about and do appearances. What a sad joke that is.

• Members

I would guess that the prospect of working for minimum wage and the majority of your workload being voiceovers for ad spots/sales might have something to do with it.

I would also think that the fact that most dj's exist under a "program director" that dictates what gets played has a little something to do with it.

The old "radio dj" is pretty much dead. How many djs are actually doing what a radio dj should? Not many. And I think that's one of the major reasons radio sucks. A dj isn't really a dj anymore, a dj is somebody that does voiceovers and watches a computer do the "dj-ing".

:D

• Members

I really would love to see the real dj come back. Wolfman Jack, {censored} like that. I want to hear what the dj thinks I need to hear. That's the job of a dj. I want to be enlightened, not programmed.

Program director. It's downright creepy in it's honesty. :mad::D

I think we should start a grass-roots campaign right here and now to bring back the dj.

• Members

It could be that the internet will be the next forum for great talent to arise. Its doubtful that radio can be saved thanks to the fact that about 3 people now own nearly every radio station. Deregulation has been a total and complete failure. If you have aspirations of starting a radio revolution, turn to a place where it can be done - online. Good luck:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

Didn't they kill independent online radio a year or two ago? The fee structure for playing music online is prohibitive to anyone that has not struck a deal with the RIAA.

Robert

Could be. I'm not aware of that. But then, if someone wants to become a major "break through" talent with a following similar to the DJs of yesterday, then a substantial investment will be required anyway. I'm not sure of the specifics here, but it seems to me that a majority of the most popular on-air personalities have been talk oriented anyway... at least once you get past the early years of rock.

Whatever the case is, there is no doubt in my mind that somebody is going to have to invent the next great new forum, or else a total and complete MIRACLE is going to have to happen in the world of radio. IMHO.

• Members

The Voc-Tech college I taught at through the '80s had a DJ program which was killed somewhere around '81 or so. Why spend money to learn technology & skills that will get you a minimum wage job?

There are only 2 places I know of where real radio DJing still exists.

One is music podcasts. The other is college radio.

Everywhere else, the skillset built into a $300 laptop PC is more than sufficient to handle what the DJs are allowed to do.

• Members

Being a DJ is either the greatest or the worst job in the world.

A few major and mid market DJs make a lot of money.

For a major market station, the morning drive folks make the most. Afternoon drive next. Midday djs next. Anything else, evenings, weekends, overnighters, are low paid. Very low. You can make just as much working at a 7-11.

Most radio stations in the country aren't major or mid markets, though. Most are small market mom and pop jobs. Pay is not good. Most people think they'll start out at a small station and move up, but the jobs are very competitive. Not only that, but, if you DO get to a larger market (let's say morning drive) and your Arbitrons are down, you're out the door. As a result, there can be a high turnover. DJ's often live nomadic lives "Yeah, I worked with such and such in Santa Fe, then again in Cleveland".

It's also a lot more hectic than most people think. You've got to be on top of your game.

Yup. Radio was fun. :freak:

• Members

I fully agree with you, Tedster.

Loving radio is a sickness! I had it once. Many people forsake thier family, friends, marriage, kids, everything to pursue this dream. They think of it as "paying dues", hoping for that rare big break.

Fortunately, I was able to keep my marriage together and to raise a wonderful daughter. Also, I was fortunate to work in management as well, where there are more perks. Still, I regret that I wasted my family's prime years on pursuing the dream of radio.

Today I do a job that is just as demanding, but infinately more rewarding. I am truly a lucky and blessed man.

• Members

Originally posted by goFish

I fully agree with you, Tedster.

Loving radio is a sickness! I had it once. Many people forsake thier family, friends, marriage, kids, everything to pursue this dream. They think of it as "paying dues", hoping for that rare big break.

Sort of like music. ;) Or acting, or writing for a newspaper.

I do wonder if Podcasting will develop to a point where it can fill the void left by community radio.

• Members

I have hopes, it certainly could change the nature of "boradcast listening" a s one might not really have the "continuous stream" attention of the listener as with a classic radio model...so we may need to think more in terms of 'packets' even in terms of production

production values/culture still seem to be hammering themselves out. Some folks seem to be more of the 'podcasting should be fast & loose / uneditted' vibe, others seem to be editting and going for a bit more polish.

Podcasting is certainly making inroads in some early adopter areas (such as spoken word sci-fi) -- escape pod has an author payment schedule.

There was mention of RIAA complaints against 'online radio' -- one area where podcasting could potentially move is putting the "I" back in indpendent by using content from artists not associated with that organization.

I'm kind of interested to see how digital player convergence works out -- that new Tao wireless player has some interestng features that could have effect on how players are used (potentially putting the player in more of a "broadcast" context )

As a career? hmmm, dunno - but as you pointed out, arts have tended to be a hard way to go for a long long time

• Members

Hey guys. I don't normally post here, so I hope I'm not intruding.

A couple of years ago I started to wonder whether radio would be better if the stations could just be sold to the record labels. Majors could have a station, and minor/inde labels could band together and buy stations. This would cut back on the need to sell advertising spots, because playing the tracks would actually be advertising. Plus, payola would be eliminated, and the labels would not have to compete with each other for limited airtime on a single channel. Instead, they would compete with each other based on: (1) the quality of the content; (2) the variety of the quality content; and (3) the personality of the DJ. Plus, there would be an incentive to play deeper cuts and emerging artists, because, again, the radio station is essentially advertising for the label.

It's probably all very unrealistic though.

• Members

I have often wondered if it is the ultimate goal of Clear Channel, Infinity broadcasting, et al to completely destroy the credibility of "over the air" radio broadcasting. All logic would indicate that to be the hidden agenda.

The lack of variety in playlists is pushing the audience away in droves. Everybody I know (musicians or not) complains about how radio completely sucks.

They started this whole "Jack" format thing, which is getting a lukewarm response at best.

And on and on and on...

It all seems to be about shortsighted greed.

• Members

I stopped wanting to be a Radio DJ when I found out how little they often make outside the top stations.

One of my friends was music director of the old KNAC for a number of years... even though she was a rocker through and through she'd go do celebrity DJ spins at local clubs, playing stuff she really didn't like. I asked her why and she said: because I need the money. I make 200 bucks a week at the station but I can make that much in a couple of nights in a club. (This was back in the 80s, but it seemed like a pretty pathetic paycheck, even so.)

• Members

Originally posted by SYN

:confused:

"Jack"?

Jack Radio. There were numerous variations but that was what it was known as in a number of markets.

The one-liner on it was a mix of music as though you dumped a couple hundred random pop hits into an iPod and put it on shuffle. Robot DJs, automated, randomized playlists with an "eclectic" blend of lame music... I mean hits.

Archived