my bird ???

techristian

• Members

mybird.jpg

This bird has taken up residence at my house. He seems to be living under my new porch. I'm not sure if he is sick or if he/she just likes my house. He always turns to the right when I'm approaching. His eye never seems to move, but if I try and get too close he will fly on the roof of my garage.

As you can see there is a YELLOW band on his leg.

I wouldn't be concerned, but if I start to feed him I'm afraid that he'll miss his migration south. He seems to be healthy.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

• Members

I once had a robin that would walk up to the full length window in my office and sit there and stare at me for a while (actually, it was probably staring at its reflection...). I know it was the same bird because of how peculiar he looked... as if he had a mohawk!

• Members
Originally posted by DeathBound

Do pigeons migrate, thought they just hang out downtown.

Isn't that a Pigeon? they are ubiquitous around my way...we call them "Rats with wings" If it is a Pigeon and it has a band around it's leg, it probably came from some Pigeon guys roof top cage where he raises them.

• Members

There used to be a squirrel that would come across the phone line and into my window, and sit on my desk.

I didn't feed it or anything at first.... it'd just sit there and hang out with me. After awhile, it would leave. Eventually it began coming closer and letting me pet it. And occasionally I'd give it a walnut or something.

Never took up residence. It would always leave after an hour or so. What I found odd was that it never went further than the desk.

• Members

Boosh, you really ARE a weird dude from Holland...actually we eat that soup quite often, my wife is Puertoriquena, the pigeon peas are called Gandules. When we make the sofrito we make large batches cuz we use it in soups, stews, rice and beans, Pollo y arroz etc. We make about two quarts, put it into ice cube trays, when fozen we pop the cubes into freezer bags, it'll keep it's piquancy for about 3 months in the freezer. Hope to someday look you up in NL and slam down a shot of Geneve with you then have a broodjie? and an Amstel or Heineken.:thu:

• Members

Hahahaha ,.. I actually thought it was pigeon - pie soup,...didn't read the recipe.

Here and in France you can buy dead pigeons just like chicken. Well in France in every butchershop,..here you have to know your way around but I've aten pigeon a lot.

• Members

We eat Pigeons here too...they dress it up a little by calling it Squab. Just read that some cities in the U.S. are banning the sale of Foi gras, animal rights people aren't liking the fact that geese are having a big tube forced down their gullet and having food pumped in to enlarge their liver...hell I can enlarge my liver by drinking a litre of Geneve. :p

• Members

Originally posted by DeathBound

Do pigeons migrate, thought they just hang out downtown.

You're right. My daughter says that she sees them even walking around in Toronto in the middle of winter and Toronto is 6-7 degrees cooler than here.

As far as a "rat with wings" I think that it is a beutiful bird. However he is starting to make a bit of a mess. He likes to perch on the railing and do what birds do best.

I saw him a few hours ago, but he's gone now.

Dan

• Members
Originally posted by techristian

You're right. My daughter says that she sees them even walking around in Toronto in the middle of winter and Toronto is 6-7 degrees cooler than here.

As far as a "rat with wings" I think that it is a beutiful bird. However he is starting to make a bit of a mess. He likes to perch on the railing and do what birds do best.

I saw him a few hours ago, but he's gone now.

Dan

Dan, only because they are so numerous and breed like crazy, they kinda adapt a gang mentality when they are begging for food...is a city thing:) they are a pretty bird though, some get real greasy looking from eating out of restuarant dumpsters.

• Members

Originally posted by ronnie rawhide

read that some cities in the U.S. are banning the sale of Foi gras, animal rights people aren't liking the fact that geese are having a big tube forced down their gullet and having food pumped in to enlarge their liver...

Yes, and they are punishing offenders by making them eat grossly fat liver paste.

Archived